Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

True. There has also been the concept of a "good host" too though and it's obvious from retail that it's not 4 people on BLF interested in that concept.. Anyway, there will be stars of all kinds.

Funny because I've modded a COURUI D01 by adding screws to hold down the driver... I think you are way too worried bout the possibility of cracking the PCB of the driver. Sure I've modded M6's to get about 5,000 lumens, but you will be limited by the 3 LED reflector and 3 separate LED boards, and of course it's designed for XM size LED's. Anything can be done for a price and/or parts/labor.

Here's some of the comparative points of Q8 vs. M6 for modding purposes:

• LED's - Q8: 4X of XP size w/low profile design, M6: 3X of XM size
  • Cooling fins - Q8: 10 slots fully wrapping, M6: 5 slots only partial
  • shelf - Q8: ~5 mm thick, M6: not sure, can't find it posted but probably thinner than 5 mm
  • Threads - Q8: square threads, M6: sharp pointed (Q8 has a big advantage here)
  • Driver - Q8: secured by screws and slightly larger than std SRK's, M6: secured by retaining ring, std size
  • LEGO issues: both have their problems. For battery tube inter-changing, the square threads of the Q8 is pretty unique for SRK style lights in the lower price ranges. An M6 battery tube will screw into a Q8 head, but that's with two different thread cuts - probably not a good idea. For the M6, I tried 4 different clone SRK tubes in the head of the M6 - none of them could thread on fully.
  • Switch - Q8: waterproof rubber design w/built-in green LED's, M6: standard aluminum
  • Overall length - Q8: 133 mm, M6 143.4 (Q8 is 10 mm shorter)
  • Weight - Q8: 393.3g, M6: 431g (Q8 is 38g lighter)

Of course for both in stock form, there's no comparison. Q8's advantages:

• more advanced UI (ramping, configurable mode sets, configurable moon mode level, turbo timeout, etc.)
  • much higher power in a better NW tint (most want NW vs. CW, not all)
  • more efficiency out of higher bin, later tech CREE LED's, and much better efficiency at low output levels (better driver design)
  • smaller, lighter, but a better thermal design
  • square threads - superior lasting, less wear & tear, easier to engage
  • waterproof switch design w/built-in green LED's programmable features for the LED's
  • it's cheaper at this point

@Tom E
I really hope that you prove me wrong!!!
But i see a big difference between you tightening the screws carefully down by hand and some cheap TF worker with a electric tool in the production run under time pressure. Of course many people would not even see if there are cracks because they glued the polarity protection plastic ring on top of the srews.
Damn why do they have to change it? I really like this project!!! Has TF given a explanation why they want to use the ugly srew and glue solution instead of a retaining ring that is working perfectly in so many lights? If it is only a cost thing, how much could it cost/light to pay for the extra time the worker would need to assemble the retaining ring instead of the srews + the differece of the costs /ring compared with the costs for the srews ? ’I think 50cents/light max probably less! So if only 10 of 1000 have a problem with cracking and they have to send out a new light to these people the cost would be the same.

Tom E is too modest concerning Q8 vs. M6 et al.
……wasn’t even on the fence before the UI came along (already having two Meteors, which I would pay 40 bucks each to have Narsil implanted.)

The way I see it, you get free flashlights with the ramping/configureable interface.

Hhhmmm, have you seen a PCB actually crack from this kind of abuse? I'm seriously wondering. I literally have a stack of SRK OSHPark outdated/obsolete drivers I could experiment on, but it would be my drilled holes, not from fabrication.. The ground rings on each side, though thin, would add some sturdiness there. Also we are only seeing prototype boards in the two units I have here, so they might do a better job on those thru holes in production.

Generally what I'm familiar with seeing is thru rules for screw mounts being fully plated inside and fully around the edges. But those holes are for flat head screws, not pan head, like they use.

Also the cracks would have to be pretty long to effect anything. One is a distance away from the LED- pad, the other is somewhat closer to the LED and switch pads, but the surface traces would have to get damaged somehow from the cracks.

I have the ULTRAFIRE U-4L2 4 (4 x XML-2”s model).
Yes it has a driver retaining ring & a raised contact ring.
3,300 lumens on start with 30Q”s in a stock light.
It is a really nice light & probably the best stock “SRK” type light out there at the moment.
The Q8 though will of course blow it away :+1:

TOD:
If damage occurs from not careful assembly they know when doing the turn on test and will repair there and then. Also if that happens we can be sure the worker doing the damage will be notified and change his methods (if they are not using a tool with torque settings).
So this is not a concern IMHO.
Tom has addressed it, we have explained several times how tight of a budget we want it for and it is explained why this method is cheaper.
I get you want all to say what a smart decision it is to go for a M6 instead of a Q8 and for some modding plans this might be true, especially if the things the Q8 has going over the M6 aren’t things you think are important.
I think this is about as close to confirmation you did the right thing you will get :wink:
For me better threads, higher lumens, better tint, infinite cooler and better UI, better waterproofing, lighted switch for the same price (well with shipping and taxes a RMM stock M6 would cost me the same as 2 * Q8 but they can probably be bought in China with free shipping) would be a no brainer if I was not involved in it and just looked at it from the sidelines. But that is just me

As you are aware I have that same light b_h. Are your 30Q’s button top or did you solder blob them?

I have used GA’s in mine with no problems.

Why was the ring dropped in favor of the screws anyway ??? :person_facepalming:
Was it a possible safety issue that battery might contact the retaining ring and short??

It seems using screws saves cost and manufacturing time.

Interesting about that ultrafire SRK is that its design, a bit of extra electronics and price all seems like they have been following this thread wouldn’t you say?

Ok… I understand that. :+1:

Maybe, I’m not sure how new this UF model is.

Ian may know or can find out from “”, who told him some great info about them.

They are a great light. Well built and very nice! !

ToyKeeper Wrote:Those who mod still take things further, always pushing the bleeding edge, but it’s nice to have projects like this where the rest of the crowd can get something nice instead of the usual overpriced/underperforming items one can buy retail.

Thank you TK. While I do extensive work on truck and motorcycle engines and chassis, I just don’t have the knowledge to mod flashlights and would rather those with the skills design and build them instead. I’ll be in line with cash in hand!!

:+1: … Welcome to BLF BT100! :slight_smile:

Thank you teacher! Could I be added to the list for a Q8, thanks.

No thats absolutly wrong! ! ! If that would be true i would not have spend money on parts to mod the Q8, i would not have followed this thread for month and also i would not have been on the interests list if thats the case! But i have a real problem if modability gets much more difficult and the end result is not as good as it could be only to save 50 cents/light!

I solder blobbed flat top 30Q”s :wink:
Yes it was Mitko that recommended the light to me :+1:
Apparently he has bought & modded quite a few of them & really rated them :wink:

I get you, we wanted, specced and asked for a ring, it was there in the proto V1
The changes came as a surprise and we will ask if TF wants to explain why this setup.
However thanks to input we know why they did it, and those few cents and easier assembly probably make it a better deal and compared to SRK clones still gives us a better modding platform.

Will update list later :wink:

This right here is an amazing project.

I enjoyed reading (a better part of) the more than 5500 postings this weekend, learning so much about a topic I didn’t care about just a couple days ago. It is truely awesome what you guys are doing and how dedicated you are.

I’d love to be a small part and give a little support to the cause, so please:

put me on the list for one Q8.

Oh man… if someone could upgrade my Meteor to Narsil, I’d be all over that.

Me too.
Love my Meteor, but hate the UI.

I should be one of the few people that I’m on the other side :smiley:

I can mod it but i don’t want to destroy that driver . UI isn’t perfect but I’m not that much annoyed .

Hmm , maybe if i had a second one i would surely try that :stuck_out_tongue: