GB Oficially closed/// Maxtoch 2X Shooter (new version)

Shooter 2X arrived, wow, I am amazed. All I missed in the M24 is right here: more performance, better tint, usable spill. So much more usable than the well hyped K series of ashbeam. Thanks guy for making this happen and affordable for us, really really happy with it!
And I think the upgraded M24 needs a group buy also :laughing:)

Just talking a few stats with Dave and gadgetman… hundreds of new 2Xs and upgrade M24s sold through aliexpress site in last 2-3 months (not including this BLF group buy) - with about 90+% bought by NZ hunters. Maybe 100-150 landed in NZ to date and at this point one light had a watermark on it - no other defects. No duds. That is very good QA from Maxtoch. I would have expected maybe 2-3% fail rate in any production chain but under 1% is first class. One other light got broken in transit with chinapost.

Just a few pointers for new buyers:

• Use optic cloth or something equally soft to look after the AR (antireflective) lens. Keep lens clean
  • Treat it an an electronic system like a camera. Yes it can club possums but not too often… :slight_smile:
  • Use medium mode for normal hunting - has over 1000m max range and gives good runtimes
  • Only highest quality panasonic/maxtoch 3400 protected buttontop batts - no cheapies
  • Range will decrease if there’s alot of dust or mist in atmosphere
  • Don’t leave batts in torch when not in use - they will discharge much quicker

We have no plans for new Maxtoch LR torch designs at this time. The new 2X and upgrade M24 both have great range and we won’t design anymore until some new all-purpose led comes out that’s better for our hunter/outdoor job.

But you know you want the thrill of the throw MG . So when the U5 or U6 emitter comes out then we will have to start a new one right? :wink:

Yep the U5s and U6s will come and no doubt we’ll pop them into our existing 2Xs. But I don’t think we’ll need new host torch model for a while.

The two LR maxtochs (2X and upgrade M24) are racehorses - lean, lightweight and extreme performers at 305 and 365k. Can’t see us changing their design much until a new all-purpose higher performing led comes out. U5 and U6 will happen - as will probably an XML3 - but they won’t need new torch and reflector design.

These are of course famous last words……… everything will probably change next week. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, are you sure? When the tail switch is off there should be no electricity flowing at all… Left 2 Keeppower 18650s fully charged inside the torch unused for nearly 3 weeks and they still had 4.20 volts … if you´re unsure turn the tailcap one time to create a mechanical lockout, but with the non electronic switch it shouldn´t be necessary…

K.

I know the GB is over and all that but , I just had to add these shots I took tonight with the Maxtoch 2X (2 of them) and one of my 2 Maxtoch M24’s.
The first 2X is just as it came from the factory straight out of the box , the second one is the prototype I got when we were designing the light for final production. The prototype has the same 4.5 amp driver as the factory but I added a dedomed U4 1C and tweaked the focus just a bit on it.
The M24 I put the same 4.5 amp driver as the new 2X has (and also the new M24) and a dedomed U4 1C emitter and tweaked the focus a little on it.

These shots were taken at 946 yards to the beige colored oil tank in the center of pictures and with a full moon to boot and clear skies, so there was a lot of ambient light. Without the moonlight I think these woulda been even better shots.

Google Measurement 946 yards

Factory 2X U4 1A

Enlarged

Prototype 2X U4 1C

Enlarged

M24 U4 1C

Enlarged

Some neighbors were shooting off super loud fireworks the other night, on a school night. They were waking up the whole neighborhood. My kids couldn’t sleep. Grabbed my 2x got in my truck and drove by the house. The 2x Lit up the inside of their house and their back yard with authority. The fireworks immediately stopped.

946 yards, that is a long throw for sure, absolutely amazing,
I had to use the calculator and a mental visualization of a 120 yard football field end zones included to imagine being able to reach out and hit a target that is 8 football fields away?
Is there any other hand held light capable of that?
I don’t know of any and don’t believe there is any that can throw that far,
Great shots Robo…!

Unheard of I know….but any chance a second Group Buy for the 2x?

Thrunite has came out with the TN42 that is claimed 1550 meters with 2000 lumens from XHP35.
That being said , the TN42 is also 2 1/2 times the cost ($269.00) and about 2 1/2 times the weight (850 grams) of the Maxtoch 2X ($93.50) which is rated at 1300 meters of throw with 1450 lumens and weighs in at just 315 grams.

Probably not Ragsy , the first GB was a tough sell to get the minimums needed.
I am sure it is that the price is not quiet as budget as many would like , but still the 2X I feel is a bargain even at the regular price for the quality you get and the kind of output it has.

Thanks Robo

Looks like I’ll have to keep saving

In the meantime may look into a Small Sun ZY-T08 I hear it’s a good cheap thrower and it may be a good starting point for my future 1st mod

By the way, love your work mate!

I don’t have the ZY-T08 but I hear it is a good one to mod. I DO have the ZY-T16 which also is a good light to mod and makes some really good throw.
The ZY-T16 was one of the first 2 lights I ever modded. The thread on that build if you care to see the beamshots and light are here………… My First Real Mods/Builds

For the record, talking about the TN42 in the Shooter 2X thread is like talking about tricycles in the top fuel garage. :stuck_out_tongue:

100mm reflector, 12V XHP-35, 2000 lumens, 4 cells instead of 2 and some testing on the pass-around sample light has shown some 642Kcd… 20’ shy of a mile! (If you’ve ever built a thrower you know going from 350Kcd to 640Kcd is not an easy task.)
It’s a search light, not a rifle-mount hunter, so they are wildly different in size and construction. And the pre-sale had a discount with it that made it $189. Just sayin. :stuck_out_tongue: (still pricey, yes, but “twice the light” in a lot of ways. I should get one in another week or so then I’ll know if Thrunite can compete with MaxToch or not. I don’t have any real experience with em so I just don’t know. MaxToch certainly sets a high standard, that’s for sure.)

MaxToch probably squeezed about all the throw that could be had from that size reflector, to get more, you just have to go bigger. And bigger is heavier, more expensive, still not easy. Perhaps MaxToch has a super-thrower up their sleeve? :wink:

Maxtochs designed for a set purpose - to be ideal all purpose hunter lights. Specs are such that they are also great general purpose outdoor lights.

2X and M24 are racehorses - lean, light and with extreme performance for size/weight. Designed to give beam width plus tight hotspot for distance, ideal colour tint for hunting, good runtimes on just 2 x 18650s, no stepdowns in high mode, high quality - all for under $100. We had to get round 1200-1300 yards from lights weighing just 280gms (M24) and 315gms (2X). Anything over 400gms (incl batts) becomes too heavy for scope mounting so the big lights are out for us.

The big heavy lights like the 100mm reflector MTG2/XHPs etc are amazing lights - great fun - just a different category.

No plans for more maxtoch throwers at the moment - unless Dale wants to help us design one…. :slight_smile: Upgraded M24 and 2X doing the job brilliantly. Saw photos recently of cattle lit up in field at range of about 1100 yards - well beyond what you need for hunting. Instead we are looking at a high performance long range (500m) headlamp. Just ideas at this stage.

I received the flashlight yesterday,and I played with it the night.I can say that I don’t like the tint of the light, especially comparing it with my SR52-UT.The color is between yellow-green if I could say so.It is a “sick” color.It reminds me sickness.
Is it possible to change the led to another,so as to retain the throw, bringing the color towards the CW side?

For me its agreat night hunting tint, yet anyway you can:
the best thing you can do it to swap the emitter with a DDed U4 0D tint, or DDed V6 0D/XPL Hi 6k+ one, but if you use XPL/XPL HI youll need to swap the MCPCB too

At the end you can always sell it, its a great light for the money you paid

Hi.
When you say better tint,what do you exactly mean?

XP-L HI washes out colors this dedomed XM-L2 does not. Sure it’s somehow on the greenish side but ideal for hunting and not bothering me at all, opposed to cw tint that does.

I see,thank you.