Astrolux S41 - presale ended

Stevedog’s photo shows the actual screw holes covered in epoxy, can’t see if they’re close or not and can’t assume anything based on the optic leg holes.

I guess I’ve been wanting to think that these weren’t as horribly messed up as they seem to be. Trying to cut Neal and Manker some slack I guess. My bad. The ensuing Manker/Banggood drama I suppose. sigh.

It has been said that Manker’s own products are of higher quality, I wonder if those have proper mcpcbs?

Sheet’s of mcpcb’s are laser cut by OshPark and any other manufacturer I’ve seen information on. It’s been said that a punch or die cut-out would deform the inherently soft copper, and/or leave burrs on the bottom edge preventing a lay-flat placement. Soooooo…… but I guess assuming anything when dealing with some manufacturer’s is a mistake.

Seems I can’t win for losing, so I’m out. Good luck with these…

I am hoping manner and or banggood come through with some kind of resolution for these lights. My hopes aren’t high though. Mine currently had a protected cell in it. Not sure if I’ll run anything else. Have a load of 18350s I’d love to use if I could without risk.

Schrödinger’s cat …

Curiosity killed the cat.

Also, please don’t let any pets operate these lights unsupervised! :laughing:

Hi,

you´re right both. Prior to changing the screws there was no short. So potentially no damage on the mask and not on the inside of the cut-out on the MCPCB. After changing the screws i got that short. I checked that using the continuity check of my DMM. The contact was clearly found on the inside of the cut-out - not on the mask on top. This tells me the trace is extremely/too close to the cut-out. That´s because a washer did not do the job in my case and i had to lay a piece of insulator over the edge of the cut-out. So the damage there seems to have happened when i screwed in the new screws and the threads got in contact with the inside of the cut-out taking that last ~1/10mm that prevented the short. So that was my fault. But I changed several MCPCBs which are screwed in in my life as well (~40-50/year) and this never happened. Not with Noctigons, Sinkpads or even the cheapest stars from chinese lights - even filed/modded ones. So i was just not expecting that the traces could become a problem. I am not an electritian but you can see in the image that the traces are extremly close to the cut-out. Even only on one side of the cut-out. So the cut-out seems to be not done properly but they still remain much too close to the cut out in my opinion.

Here for comparison a Maxtoch, Noctigon and Sinkpad MCPCB. The traces are in a more safe distance to the cut-outs.

My light works and I can handle this issue but i think what happened is worth mentioned, even if it was my fault.

Regards

Kenjii

i ordered one of each but the nichia isnt in stock so is delaying my order :cry:

Yep. Very good picture. That should make clear to the QC people what to look for and which boards to reject.

That’s why there are specs for how much clearance is required between points at different electrical potential.
Barely enough isn’t enough.

Never, i Think. Because there is only time till tomorow to order the first with this price.

All Who dont want to get the first batch, I have read here that Nichia-Version is restocking. That means the first batch is fully delivered.
But as Kenjii wrote, the washer had not helped him to prevent the short cut while changing his screws.

Still no S41 in the mailbox today… :cry:

I’ve had mailbox fever for other lights before but this is one of the most expected i’ve been waiting for. :laughing:

Same.

Though today is a holiday in the States so no postal service.

I ordered on the 16th, and it shipped on the 20th.

Now ten days later on the 30th, USPS tracking still says “Origin Post is Preparing Shipment”.

Sometimes tracking isn’t very accurate when a package is in China though. Hopefully it will arrive this week.

Mine is sitting at post in NYC. I did get the 18650 tube which just makes me more impatient…!

at least you got to the “shipped” stage. I too ordered on the 16th but must have been too late in the day for them to still have stock!lol

I am in the same boat. It supposedly shipped on the 20th but tracking has been saying that “Origin Post is Preparing Shipment”. My concern is that they generated the shipping notification without dropping one in the mail to me and that I could be possibly overlooked on restock because my order is tagged as shipped already…The wait is half the fun but having an order disappear in a black hole is not.

I ordered on May 17th, it shipped the 22nd and arrived in my country on the 28th - 4 days ago… Looking good.
I ordered a second one on the 25th and it’s still processing.

I can’t wait til the orders for this light start ebbing and they release it in host form.

Any issues with oligt 16340 on this light? I am using that, the LEDs turn on no problem. Not aware if there is anything I need to look out for.

Same here. :frowning:

Hmm, looks like the pre-order option/price was removed even though it hadn’t yet reached 500 units (was at 454 on last refresh). It was only increasing by 3-4 per hour today so I doubt it increased by 46 just in the last two hours or so since my last refresh.

totally normal to have a end date/ timelimit for a presale…