Combat ring for Tube lights like the S2+?

Those are nice, too bad they are so small, not sure you could really get a grip on them like an officer would need. Or are there larger ones I missed?

Couldn’t find larger ones but was hoping I could stack them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have found that silicone vape grip rings are ok initially but after a while
silicone seems to stretch & become too loose.

Maybe a slice of hard rubber like a chair-leg tip would be better ?

basically these happens on every vape rings I’ve tried. Never once worked after 2 months of usage.

They go slippery or extra loose after a while

Ah, pity.

i picked up a few rubber plugs for the sink and carved out a round center hole and then sliced/sanded etc into shape .. IMHO the best cigar grip rings are xeno 's ...i asked a rep here one day and they changed the subject ad tried to point me o a retail seller (EDC)...iIuse rubber bands of all colors all sizes on about 40% of all my lights .i've carved cigar rings out of high density foam like the stuff you'd use to line a case ...worked but needs a rubber band to keep it from sliding off ..Lastly I use colored womens hair ties....kind of handy to have different colors if you have many of the same lights with different tint / driver /emitter set-ups

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Elastic-Rope-Women-Fashion-Hair-Ties-Ponytail-Holder-Head-Band-Hairbands-/391447736898?

Ok, finally got around to making a combat ring for the S2+. This is a prototype but seems to work well. It has a lip that sits in the groove right next to the tailcap, so the tailcap can screw off without messing with the ring.

It also means that the ring can fit super tight and thus not have to worry about it coming off (maybe a bit too tight on this version but at least it won’t come off unless you want it too).

Any comments on design? Color can be anything. I could add big fancy finger grooves but that seems like it would be less useful in many ways since you would have the align them before they would work and the whole idea with these is to be quick and easy way to not lose your light.

Smaller? larger?

If people like these I could make a batch to sell if there is interest.

P.S. Pictures were a test with my new S41 mixed tint high CRI build, not the best lighting spread but the color on some other pictures came out amazing, much like it looks like to the human eye. I am sold on mixed tint lights now.

^

Nice solution. Being someone that works on cars and does home repairs, I know what you made that from. Genius, my friend. Should be very durable and grippy. Don't think I could ever cut one so true and cleanly.

We use that very ring on a lot of our LEO lights and have never had a problem with one. You get what you pay for in this one.
TL

LOL, well not sure what you are thinking but it is actually 3D printed. I could have used a few different options but 3D printing offers me a lot more options for design.

This was just a first prototype but it turned out pretty good, I need to open the clearances up just a tad but it seems to be solid and no worried with it coming off.

Hmm, I am more interested in your time machine that allowed you to get these before I had even created the CAD design earlier today. Please do tell us about that lol.

I am sure there is a pre-made unit out there but I could not find anything but the surefire model for $20. I just could not bring myself to pay for that when it would not fit properly on the s2+ anyways.

Ha, got me there. I was sure you made it from a hot water hose like used in cars for interior heating or supply lines to washing machines. The texture appeared to be rubber on my screen and the white burs on the ends appeared to be the reinforcement strands.

They look like nice rings. The raised section to hold them between the battery tube and tailcap should make them feel real solid. Saw them in your sales thread and helped me remember this thread.

I can see how you would think that looking at the picture.

Yeah, once these are installed they are not coming off without you wanting them off that is for sure. They get pinched between the tailcap and body real nice and it takes a bit of force to get them fully seating. It makes a pocket EDC a bit bulky for me but it is a nice thing to have on the shelf for some situations. I find it much more useful then I thought I would.

Maybe better to put the light away in combat… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just the name I saw them marketed under when I was searching for them. “Cigar ring” makes more sense to me.

Never seen such a ring on a cigar…

never mind… :disguised_face:

I thought I’d posted in this thread but apparently not. The MaxToch M24’s from BLF GB’s has a nice conical rubber ‘cpmbat’ ring; darn near perfect for this. I thought it odd for the M24 as it’s a 2 cell light and doesn’t work as well with this grip as a single-cell light. I asked MaxToch’s rep if these were available separately but they’re not :frowning: Nor would they give me the name of their source :rage: Can’t say for durability but they hold on most 18650 tubes well if there’s checkering or a groove under them. If you really try to slide them you can but they will stay put otherwise. Pics on the M24 GB threads, works well on my BLF A6 and Convoy C8 :smiley:

MaxToch doesn’t mold these themselves, so my guess is that there’s a company in China which does, and if you can find out their info I’d bet someone like BG or FT could be convinced to retail them. Anyone would pay a couple bucks for one which would be a huge profit margin as they can’t cost more than a few cents each in quantity. $20 from SF is rip-off pricing IMHO but opinions vary and on a different forum that might be considered a bargain :stuck_out_tongue:

Phil

No wonder.
They can’t even spell “torch” right. :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually use my combat rings more often on a bigger light that has cells in series. I always use it on the S70 and L6 i think because it is so long and makes it easier to hold and activate the switch with a single hand.

They tried but MaxTorch was already a registered name so they got as close as they could.

Phil