TK's Emisar D4 review

Among the 3 emitter choices (xpg2, xpl-hi, and nichia) for the D4, at the same output below the need for temperature protection to kick in, which gives the longest regulated and overall runtime? Thanks.

Is this a trick question? Haha, I think they’ll all have the same runtime at the regulated (350mA) level as long as you’re using the same battery. They’ll differ in their outputs though, the XP-G2 would be brightest followed by the XP-L HI and then the Nichia. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

The D4Ti arrived to complete my collection.

Blue: XP-L Hi V3 1A
Green: Nichia 219C
Raw Ti: Nichia 219C frosted lens

Will do some comparison on stepdown time and relative levels later today

Thx fonLED, very interested in your findings :+1:

Wonder what the Cu will do to the thermal properties of the D4Ti. Looks like the perfect EDC :slight_smile:

Unfortunately LEGO Cu-head with Al-body is not possible (threads on Ti are triangle but square on Al).

Replaced the frosted lens on Ti with clear to get comparable results. Lights cold on start at 24ºC. Drivers as supplied from factory (no temp adjusted).

Measured values are direct TA8120 readings by ceiling bounce, same battery 30Q (each time recharged) on all tests.

The Nichia 219C D4Ti steps down much smoother than the D4, delivering you more time on the higher output range.

XP-L Hi V3 1A TASI relative % Nichia 219C TASI relative % Nichia 219C TASI relative %
D4 clear lens D4 clear lens D4Ti clear lens
t (s) t (s) t (s)
0 244 100% 0 226 100% 0 209 100%
17 189 77% 12 164 73% 12 157 75%
20 149 61% 17 78 35% 18 116 56%
25 90 37% 23 28 12% 24 102 49%
30 55 23% 28 9 4% 29 80 38%
35 42 17% 34 3 1% 34 52 25%
63 38 16% 40 32 15%
130 34 14% 45 23 11%
160 31 13% 57 21 10%
170 28 11% 65 17 8%
180 13 5% 73 8 4%
220 11 5% 83 5 2%
230 5 2%

Hehe i guess today is arrival d4 day for some, finally got mine green and correct color and tint.

My Cyan D4 ordered through Neal’s Deals just before Christmas just arrived yesterday. Only contact I received was the initial order confirmation - no shipping notification or anything. Just a heads-up to anyone else who ordered through Neal, that orders are still getting sent out, even if their is a disappointing lack of communication.

FWIW, zak.wilson’s ceilingbounce app makes this pretty easy to do, if you have an Android phone. It’s where the output graphs in the review and first comment came from. Its output looks like this:

It also saves the data into a .csv format to make it easy to use with other tools. Sometimes I use these exports in my graphing tool instead:

A little "Buyer Beware" story...

I have a green EMISAR D4 that I got from Hank Wang at Int'l Outdoor a few months ago. Great product, great communications and color did not vary from part to part.

Today I received my EMISAR D4 Cyan from NEAL ( 张 怀洪 [zhanghh0420@hotmail.com]) I am not happy with the color matching of the individual parts. The main body and head are closest to what I expected. The tail is a shade brighter of the cyan and although noticeable, I can live with it. The lens retaining ring, that 8 mm part closest to the lens, is just really off color, very close to Aqua Sky (a Pantone color). It seems to have a bit of light yellow/green in it. I can live the tail shade but I would like the lens ring replaced. I sent Neal a photo from my phone but, in person, it looks even worse. All I asked was if he could get a new lens ring part sent to me. He responded quickly with the following:

"it is produced by Emisar, they also said will be a little color different. I am not a manufacturer."

It looks as though Neal may be getting “factory seconds” and selling them as "new" at a slight discount to get his business going. In any case, poor communications and NO customer service. It wasn't worth the small discount for such a great light. Lesson learned!

Has anyone else run into unmatched color parts on your Cyan D4? I also got the 18350 tube (color matched with 18650 tube) which was inside the box so somebody opened the box to complete the order...

If you’ll do some back reading, you’ll know that there’s indeed a color difference in the cyan D4 even from Hank. I got mine from Hank and there are subtle shade differences in the head, body, and tailcap.

My cyan D4 from Hank is color matched pretty well to my eyes. The tailcap has the vertical lines, which can create a darker appearance, but that’s just the nature of the beast.

Chris

I have one on the way, so I’ll keep you posted when it’s received.

Wow thanks for the comparison fonLED! That is very useful. I wasn’t planning at all to buy the D4ti but from your comparison, I’m kind of on the fence. Who would have thought they added more step down levels in the titanium version compared to the original. They didn’t even add this important improvement in their description.

Thanks, heatwaves, ChrisGarrett and bunnicula. “Subtle” I can handle and I have over 200 lights, some colored and never have had seen such a difference. If you look up the Pantone color Aqua Sky, you can see how different the color is of the lens ring body piece. Just thought Emisar should have rejected this piece since it is from a whole different family of colors. IMHO. Just sayin’…And now I have no access to Emisar to request a replacement. Will be sticking with Int’l Outdoors or Mtn Electronics for future Emisar purchases. Lesson learned.

It doesn’t have more stepdown levels. It has more thermal mass, so it heats up slower, which makes the thermal regulation adjustments slower. The driver is exactly the same, but it’s sitting in a chunk of copper instead of a chunk of aluminum.

There should be about 100 “step-down levels” available in all cases… but the host material and emitter type and battery characteristics determine how quickly the step-down happens.

Thanks for the clarification. Man that makes me want to buy another D4ti

I have a blue Aluminium d4 on order. Maybe I’ll get the ti next. I read somewhere the titanium doesn’t dissipate the heat as well as the aluminum, but with the copper head on the titanium version it’s about the same overall.

Kinda dirty trick changing the threads so no legoing is possible. :rage:

I don’t have a D4 Ti to test, but my guess is that the titanium model should sustain turbo a bit longer (due to more thermal mass in the pill), while the aluminum model should sustain a higher stable level (due to more usable surface area to shed heat).

Basically, the aluminum model can shed heat from the entire host, but the titanium/copper model is mostly just shedding heat from the pill section. Titanium doesn’t conduct or shed heat well.

I haven’t measured the D4 Ti though, so I’m only guessing.