TK's Emisar D4 review

After using the D4 Ti for some time now, I can say that this is definitely the nicest D4 I have. Unlike with the standard D4 I’m just not worried about scratching the light. I used to put the aluminium D4 in a holster when putting it in my coat or bag, but not with the Ti. It’s just awesome, and I personally have no problem with the added weight. Too bad the leds are not symmetrically aligned, but ah well… Definitely one super light the D4 Ti is. :sunglasses:

I think you have it right. Maybe it you were a cop or did security tactical would make sense. It would be nice if your update was offered as an option but I don’t know how that affect the price.

New firmware costs nothing, since it’s open-source, but I definitely wouldn’t complain about getting paid for it. :slight_smile:

Work is work

Even mode memory off, always start in moonlight might be a cool toggle option for a hotrod like this

Since my D4 lights are used as EDC all day, I gave the lockout function some thoughts. Like Toykeeper I wanted a faster lockout, especially fast deactivation of lockout was important for me. So I designed a two level lockout.

1st level lockout:
Get’s activated by 4 short clicks - and deactivated by any operation with at least 2 clicks, for instance:

- 2 short clicks switch the light on with last used level

- short click + click and hold: momentary on with last used level,

- 3 short clicks: tactical strobe with highest level,

• and so on, all multiclick operations are usable form 1st level lockout just as in “normal” mode (with the only exceptions “turbo” and “momentary turbo”, since their click combinations are used for “on” and “momentary” during 1st level lockout). Single clicks don’t do anything.

2nd level lockout:
Get’s activated by another 4 short clicks when in 1st level lockout. This is the more secure lockout option and can only be deactivated by another 4 short clicks.

Thanks to the the indicator LEDs in my D4 lights I always know the state of my lights:

- constantly burning indicator LED: normal off mode, no lockout.

- flashing every 4 seconds: 1st level lockout.

• off: 2nd level lockout.

I use 1st level lockout most of the time, and 2nd level lockout when the light is transported in bags or so and at night in my bedroom (don’t like flashing LEDs there).

Btw: My firmware additionally has a “auto lockout” option, which automatically activates 1st level lockout when the light is switched off. But this turned out somewhat confusing, so I don’t use this option anymore.

Funny, but I didn’t get a tracking number so I don’t know where my lights are. Hank says on his site he provides a tracking number on orders over $80, I bought the Ti D4 AND another D1s for some $116 AND I paid the $2 for tracking… still no tracking number and my package is in the wild anonymously… oh well. I tried.

He sent an email that they shipped on the 9th, so perhaps this coming week? We’ll see….

Dwg064 said his shipped on the 28th, and he got his yesterday. Don’t hold your breath for this coming week. Mine shipped on the 3rd or 4th and is still in route, I am guessing maybe Friday, more likely the following week.

Oh, I know… I’m so forgetful it’ll probably slip my mind and when it shows up I won’t have a clue what it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a related note, in case anyone is so inclined, it’s fun to surprise Dale with packages.

:person_facepalming:

send him an older maglight and a note asking for him to soup it up some…

LOL, you don’t know what you’re asking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Considering that I once sent him a light in a Pringles can, he’d probably “soup it up” by sending it back in a soup can. Or… by filling it with soup.

Red Savina Habanero Chicken Noodle, homestyle chunky. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’d have a hot spot all right… :smiley:

Just ordered a smooth grey D4 with the XP-L-Hi V3 in cool white. Got it for $46.64 shipped with tracking from Hank.

Would requests from fans of your firmware have any effect toward changing his mind?
I’d buy another light if it had your new UI.

And firmware is at this point what makes me interested in buying lights. I’ve got plenty of hardware that lights up generically.

(a while ago a visitor to the neighborhood lost an elderly dog — I heard people calling on the street, saw some dim orange incandescent flashlights in use, and took out four or five bright LED flashlights from my earthquake/emergency supply. They were awesomely bright, of course. Dog found, eventually)

[quote=hank]

You do not need a bunch of lumens or throw for this. 100 lumens should illuminate the bacon in your hand and the dog will see it easily.

[quote=Calaveras]

The 100 Lumens wouldn’t help at all if it was my dog……. as she can smell farther than she can see anyway…the bacon itself would be sufficient :smiley:

I spoke too soon. Mine arrived on my desk just now. :wink: :beer:

Correct. :+1: