Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

Thank you! :+1:

A real pain to mod due to its unique driver and switch design. Yeah, I like it’s looks, too. :smiley:

Looks to be a Uni-body, So it loads from the front/bezel,

If the retaining rings are shaking loose during shipping, there are probably questions the designers and/or assemblers should be asking themselves.

If they’re working loose during usage, that’s understandable, but others have found ways to mitigate that, without using glue, and also address potential user complaints.

There will always be a percentage of neophytes and stupid/lazy users, especially on Amazon, who will use the slightest excuse to take advantage of their return policies and return items for no good reason, and never come back. That’s unfortunate, but catering to them allows them to steer the narrative and penalizes the loyal enthusiastic users like those here, who buy lights (even buggy ones), and keep on buying them. Which customer base is better to have, the fleeting non-committal ones or the loyalists?

The point is, there are other ways to mitigate these potential issues, without resorting to extremes.

What’s done is done, and no one is asking for any historical revisions.

But, going forward, please consider developing some sort of logical nomenclature, and adhering to it.

The pace of development, and efforts toward continuous improvement are welcome, but the naming system is akin to a Winchester Mystery House, or house of cards that will fall under its own weight.

Given the three examples above, the SP32 has used both a letter suffix and a version number to denote a newer model. The SP31 has used a version number. The SP33 uses neither. That’s inconsistent, and confusing for everyone.

What if the driver is DOA, or goes bad? Sofirn’s CS is good, and would probably send a replacement, but why condemn yourself to replacing entire lights instead of parts?

Plus, while the driver is one thing, the bezels on my Sofirns are glued shut. A loose bezel is apparent, and not going to affect the function of the light. Why are they glued? What if the lens breaks? Is Sofirn going to send a new light? Versus a new lens? Or is the user SOL and have to throw it away? The prevalent nature of non-serviceable, disposable products is not healthy, and it doesn’t have to be this way for such simple items as flashlights.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to put down Sofirn or sound harsh. I like the product and have more than one. But there are other, proven approaches to these potential issues that it would be wise to consider.

Except when you can make it the selling point :wink:

A Flashlight That Can Start Fires and Cook Dinner Is the Best Camping Accessory

Meanwhile, I’ve been working on the “Sofirn Comparison Chart” (please feel free to suggest something that sounds better). Thanks to rost333’s great contribution - thank you very much! - I was able to collate his and my data into a first draft. Please note, that there is still some information missing and some data may be subject to change for these were taken from different resources (manuals, ads on Amazon/AliExpress or even from reviews). For instance, the data for intensity and range of the Q8 and SP70 are yet to be verified. Any hints and help to fill the gaps or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you click on the spreadsheet you will be redirected to the pdf-file for a more convenient download. :wink:

Cheers,
Thomas

The Manker U11 - one of my, say, top 2 18650 EDC's. Internally it's got some issues because of the uni-body design but doesn't keep me from modding them. The SDMini and the U11 are at the top of my list - quality, style - just outstanding! Nothing better out there since.

Sorry to you and rost333, I’ve had a pretty rotten weekend. What the two of you have done is amazing; I don’t think I could have added much more :slight_smile:

Nice work! Something that might be useful to include is whether a light allows for momentary on or not - in some usages, that can be important to consider.

@Lux-Perpetua, that’s amazing!

No worries oweban. First of all, most of us are here because we have a common hobby and not a profession, i.e. family, personal life and especially weekends always come first. :wink: Second, it’s just first draft that I have collated together with rost333. I’m sure there’s plenty of more information we all could add to this spreadsheet. Most important to me is to have reliable information, so I appreciate any hints about missing or wrong facts in the spreadsheet. Those of you who have any of these lights are very welcome to add your impressions.

Thank you Barry! :-) Do you think Sofirn could send me some more schematic pictures and manuals of their lights? I would like to add as much Sofirn lights to the spreadsheet as possible and the corresponding manuals to my sharepoint on Google, too. So far, I only have those that are being sold on Amazon (DE) but there are so much more I could add.

Here's a list of flashlights that I would like to add:

AAA lights:
SF01A
SF02

AA lights:
SF10
SF11
SF12
SF13
New SF13
SP10A
New SP10A
SP10B
SP10 V2.0

18650 lights:
502B
C15
C8A
C8F 18650
C8T
D10
D25
SD02
SD02A
SF22
SF30
SF30A
SF31
SF32
SF32UV
SF34
SF36
SF36W
SF37
SP30A
SP30A update version
SP31A
SP31T
SP32
SP32A

26650 lights:
C19

@Lux-Perpetua, fantastic job with the Sofirn Comparison Chart!
It could make a great add-on to Sofirn’s webpage :wink:

Below idea is related to one of those lights that I like but will never buy.
I ’m talking here about the Nitecore R25.
This would make perfect “emergency light” except is to expensive for that.

Another day, another suggestion for Sofirn. :slight_smile:

Sofirn could make something similar (resembling without being identical) to one of below lights:

Panasonic BF-541 (2 x size D battery)

or
Panasonic BF-BE01 (3 x size AA battery)

or
Toshiba KFL-124 (2 x size D battery)

Above are one mode lights and outside the holder can’t be switched off.
I would suggest adding side switch to enable switching off the light
or/and changing brightness level. Could be also sold as separate models, something like i.e.

wow, that’s too many. Some models are discontinued or be replaced by new upgraded model.

Hence, there is no need to gather all the models.

these emergency lights are cool. But they need to be molded to fulfill which is not sofirn good at for now. And I guess the price will be low? I know many similar lights are below $10, that’s too low for sofirn to make.

I heard some are complaining sofirn ugly box. This year, sofirn want a new looking box for products.

Anyone can do that and be interested? Sofirn would love to pay for a better looking box design!

Personally I don’t care about how nice packaging looks. Acebeam and especially Olight have really nice packaging but I recycle them the moment I ensure the product is functioning properly so spending so much money on packaging is wasteful. I think just simple carboard box is the most environmental friendly.

The box is fine. Only suggestion would be to indicate what light is inside, even if only with a sticker. I have many boxes with unknown contents inside. :laughing:

I am so sad the C01 sold out. I bought 3 and need more. I like the C01S but I think C01 was perfect

[quote=Lightbringer]

+1.
No desire to overpay for a box