FW3A Troubleshooting / FAQ

I get what you all are saying but, No matter how I carried the FW3A it is forever coming on accidentally. All the other lights I carry on a daily basis are side switch with a few tail clicky’s thrown in once in a while. I don’t have to lock them out, mechanically or electronically. It’s just one more step and a delay in getting light on the situation. It’s just unattractive for me. I tried a few holsters even though I kind of hate holsters for flashlights, darn thing still came on. I never carried it loose in my pocket, that will just be asking for trouble with any light other than a twisty. I have tried clipping it on my pocket, it’s usually on before I get out the door. So I guess what I’m saying is these extra precautions I have to take to carry the light just isn’t worth it to me. It’s a great around the house light I guess. I was hoping it could be used for more.

I have already gotten rid of one FW3A and the other one should be leaving in a USPS box fairly soon. Just too many other lights I can choose from that I don’t have to monkey around with. It’s a great novelty light as is. I was thinking of adding maybe a 2mm or 3mm ring to the tail of the light. Maybe making it harder to turn it on accidentally. I don’t know, if this last one I have sticks around any longer I may mess around with the ring, not sure. If the ring does work out I will reflow some SST-20’s or Luxeon V2’s onto the board and enjoy it even more. I try to stay optimistic and positive but, it’s difficult with this light. For now I will stick with a D4, Reylight Cu AA pineapple, DQG tiny 18650, or a ZebraLight of some sort.

It’s much better with a smaller button & flush fixed surround.

I kinda like clicking the edge of the switch.

As do I.

Well don’t moan about accidental activation then! :smiley:

I think your mixing people up. I never moaned about it. It was toddcshoe who’s light was turning on by accident. I was just saying I like the factory design as opposed to your modded design.

I wonder if there are replacement metal domes that are stiffer so as to require higher pressure for a button press. It might be the light pressure that’s making it too easy to turn on for some people.

Hmm, maybe a short spring could be added to firm it up. Maybe even some foam. It would take trial and error to get the right feel.

I’m just playing :slight_smile:
Yeah the good thing about the FW3A switch is it’s very easy access to try out different things.

@toddcshoe, which tint version do you have?

XP-L Hi 3D

I was going to put different emitters in it but haven’t decided if this other one will stay or go. I like what CRX did, that would probably work for me. I just don’t have the materials or equipment to pull something like that off. We have to agree that CRX is most likely from another type of highly advanced alien race. :slight_smile:

i don;t see how a side switch is supposed to prevent accidental activations.

i just set my ‘ceiling’ to ‘below combustion mode’

i have had maybe 1 activation a week, in a month now
and so far that has always been into memory mode, and i didn;t have it on super high anyway

wle

Foam? That might be worth trying. I know the wife has some different densities of foam that she uses for painting and her make up stuff. Might have to snag a few while she’s not looking.

Worth trying. I love these lights, but I do agree with you that accidental activation is too easy.

I wonder if there might be a small enough foam or soft rubber washer possible to install so you’ve got to press more firmly. I’m quite leery of buying another FW3A given all the switch issues that have been reported… would prefer to wait until that all gets cleaned up. My early Group Buy FW3A has a sufficiently firm switch, enough that I don’t feel compelled to change it out or bolster it. But I have gotten accidental activation a couple times, so I’ve simply gotten into the habit of making a slight turn to the head. It’s the easiest thing to do and saves on switch life by avoiding the rapid 4 clicks to go into lockout mode. I don’t mind doing it as I’ve gotten into the habit of doing this on all lights that don’t have easy accidental activation protection (like press+hold, or double-click to turn on).

Easiest would be to take a piece of foam and cut out the shape you need. Maybe something like this:

You can trim the height or diameter with a razor blade to get the right firmness.

Well I cut some foam the size of the cut out around the nub. Closed it up and it was too firm of a foam and just ended up turning on the light when the head was re-attached. So I did as xevious suggested and made a washer instead of the smaller piece of foam over the nub. Took a bit of trial and error but I finally found the proper thickness of the foam washer. It makes you now have to give a firm press on the button to get the light on. I am going to try and carry it the next few days and see if I am having the same frequency of accidental activations as I did before. Just by the feel of the switch I can tell it will be much much better.

This little light may still be salvageable.

Let us know. It sounds like a good idea. I may have to hunt for some of this foam.

Use the foam from a flashlight shipping box. :+1:

Not sure foam is the best idea. Foam will lose its springiness after a bit.

I think a better idea might be to find a wide spring, cut a section of it, and then insert it between the switch and the rubber boot. Or between the rubber boot and the metal boot. Coat the cut ends of the spring with a bit of fiberfix or superglue gel to round it off, so it doesn’t cut through the rubber boot.

I wonder how people’s carrying styles and usage patterns differ, so that some people have a lot of trouble with accidental activation and some people don’t.

I tend to clip the light at my waist, because I don’t have pockets. I’ve never had the FW3A turn on by accident that way. The only accidental activation I’ve had since it showed up in 2017 was one time when it was clipped onto my purse and I was carrying a bunch of boxes. I think I must have bumped the switch with the corner of a box.

One time in ~18 months isn’t bad, but now I lock it if it’s clipped somewhere different than usual.

Accidental activation is more likely to happen to people who carry their EDC light loose in their pants pocket.

I carry my EDC light in my right front pocket with together with my keychain, a couple pens, a small knife and a handful of kleenix. I occasionally experience accidental activation:

• Nitecore Concept I - switch is a lever that activates an electronic switch mounted on the outside of the battery tube. Accidental activation chance is 100% on ANY attempt to pocket carry. Worst offender ever for accidental pocket activation. Lockout is mandatory. I wouldn’t even trust this one on a belt clip not to accidentally activate. Nitecore was roundly criticized for their ridiculous switch and came out with an improved version, the EC30, which Nitecore specifically advertises as having a switch that won’t activate in your pocket.
  • Emisar D4 (unmodded) - I get an accidental activation maybe once per week. I always turned my D4 off in moonlight so that if it did accidentally activate it hopefully wouldn’t be dangerous. However, on two occasions my pocket stuffing caused it to turn on with the button held down. It ramped up to max and burned a hole through my pocket. Nowadays If I carry an unmodded D4 I use lockout at the head. Or more likely, I use a modded D4 with stiffer recessed switch and Anduril with the max ramp set to cap at a level below what would cause pocket damage.
  • FW3A - think I’m averaging an accidental turn-on maybe once every 10 days. The button is wide and flush without a particular strong spring. It’s not a big deal though because Anduril UI gives me the confidence that my light isn’t going to burn a hole through my pocket. Love having double-click as the only way to access turbo.
  • Zebralight SC6X series (multiple models): Small, deeply recessed switch is highly resistant to accidental pocket activation. Only had one accidental turn-on in the pocket ever in maybe 5 years (from SC62 through 64w HI).
  • DQG 185650 Mini IV - zero accidental activations. Tiny flush button is hard to find by feel, but highly resistant to accidental activation.