Acebeam Three Blinks of Death (video)

I thought I’d make a video to illustrate this very annoying “feature” of Acebeam flashlights. As the battery gets barely below 3.7 volts, and sometimes at higher voltages, the flashlights start to lose their ability to access every mode, as well as ruining the experience of using the lower modes by blinking.

Sorry about the out-of-focus video and shaky camera handling. I don’t make videos regularly.

It’s just something you never felt before in ‘Aacebeam’.

I thought it was Aecbeam

However they want to spell their name, I wish they would be upfront about the annoying limitation their firmware puts on the higher modes when the battery level falls below 3.7 volts.

Sorry,None of you are spelling it right. It is SAPBEAM. :wink:

SEE,They spelled it wrong and I got the light for FREE.

Is that real or a knockoff?

I have an acebeam h10 headlight. It behaves the same. Extremely early low voltage protection. Super annoying. It’s like the people who designed the firmware never actually used them long enough to deplete a cell. If I use turbo mode when the battery is about half full it will enable this low voltage protection and go to a super low output. The only way to get out of that is to unscrew the tail cap and screw it back in.

Are you referring to my SUPBEAM K40vn??

SUPBEAM is the ORIGINAL name of the company,they changed to ACEBEAM 2 OR 3 years ago.

IT is REAL all right,still a GREAT light for 6.5 year old technology,1500L/400Kcd w/ XML2 PDT LED. :+1:

Watts up! Folks.

Beam me ‘Sup, Scottie

So the lights limit access even to mid at half charge? That’s poor.

I need to clarify the nomenclature here (I will also update my earlier post to reflect this technicality).

With my H30, it has six modes total, including two “hidden” ones. Acebeam calls them as follows: ultra-low (long press from off), low, medium, high, turbo and turbo-max (double click). I would personally consider Acebeam’s “high” mode on the H30 to be a middle/medium mode, but it is not called that by the manufacturer.

What I have observed so far is that at around 3.6 volts, the modes that Acebeam calls “high,” “turbo” and “turbo-max” on the H30 are giving me the three blinks of death as soon as I access them. When I change back into a lower mode from having activating the three blinks of death, the blinking continues until the unit is restarted.

3.7 volts is on the lower side for you to be running high or turbo.
The blinking is a warning before you deplete the battery too low, and destroy it.
High powered lights should be fully charged when using them on high or turbo.

I guess Acebeam can’t count. They must think 3.7 volts is really 2.7 volts. They look like nice lights, but I would not be able to handle the three blinks of death at 3.7 volts. That is not acceptable to me. I would return them and get another brand. I almost never run my cells lower than 3.6 volts anyway, but still that would be a no go for me.

MicroBlueBear

Do they still use the MicroBlueBear and even if they did, the reported cutoff was at 2.5 volts. Chinese cells… :person_facepalming: Also he is having the same problem with the Samsung cell.

3.7 volts is the nominal voltage for these batteries. Every other brand of flashlight I own is able to run on every mode without “destroying,” to use your word, the battery at nominal voltage. Obviously, the brightness for a direct drive turbo will vary as the voltage drops, but that doesn’t mean the mode has to be inaccessible to the user. Other flashlight designers seem to find a way to make their flashlights so they work with all of the advertised functionality and without mode-disabling blinks at nominal voltage. I can take the same half-charged Samsung 21700 40T battery and put it into a Fireflies E07 or Zebralight SC700d and access every mode without blinks. But you’re saying that the Acebeam will “destroy the battery”? Ridiculous.

If you don’t like Acebeam, then sell it for another brand. Since you know everything, then you should not be asking for advice/opinion.

My thing is that I was really hoping the H30 would be a good camping/hiking headlamp. Although I mostly use it on low anyway, I need to be able to boost it into a higher mode for short periods, to better illuminate the trail or to check on a noise by my food bag at night, for example. Having the headlamp blinking on any of the brightest three modes is not going to work for me. Not to mention with that L30 II, they really designed a great little tail switch flashlight — only you can’t use the tail switch unless the battery has been freshly topped off…

No, I will continue to exercise my ability to discuss ideas civilly. You can kindly go somewhere else, though. I’m not going to stop having a conversation just because you were wrong.

They are counting on their customers to top off the batteries frequently. Incidentally, that’s probably most people who post here, myself included most of the time.