Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

That’s what I couldn’t recall.

I use that example for drug-tests (cheap/fast piss-tests vs pricey/tedious hair-tests). When what you’re looking for has the same likelihood as a false reading, accuracy is a coin-toss. Split outcomes to false positives, false negatives, true positives, and true negatives. If the test is 95% accurate and 5% of the testees(!) would/should test positive, a positive reading would be a coin-toss as to whether/not it’s true.

Point being, never ever release anyone from liability, whether the company wanting to test you, or the testing facility. Make them spend for the pricey test in case of a positive result, and not automatically deny you whatever (job, clearance, etc.), or else suuuuuuuue! :laughing:

Yeah, and it gets crazier when the prevalence is very low. The examples for drug testing, cancer, etc in the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes’\_theorem#Examples) illustrate this:

But an added complication is that this assumes testing a random person. That’s rarely the case, and specific situations will have a different prevalence.

In any case, the way to get that confidence up is to do multiple tests.

You’re welcome :smiley: :confounded: :beer:

Well actually you said the “joke” & then About 10 hours later you came back & said something like “ the joke must have gone over everyone’s head because I thought it was hilarious “

You then posted later to try & explain the joke , lol.

It’s just a failed joke ,no big deal.

Dont worry about drinking pee, it did not kill the guy who cut his arm off:

Can we maybe stop rehashing whether a joke many posts ago was funny of not? Just sayin’.

Mmmm. Someone should set up a new poll…

Great list too CheapThrills, me and others are taking notes :stuck_out_tongue:

That reminds me, I haven’t started my camping generator in like 4 or 5 years. I should do that so it’s prepared to keep my fridge and freezer food from spoiling. We don’t have higher than normal levels of perishables, but man, eating normal food in a power outage really keeps your morals up. I have experience from 1997. Dare I say it was even fun to have no power for 2 weeks. :smiley: We did have a generator though.

No worries on the pool water, it’s chlorinated :slight_smile:

Sounds like NYC has got it bad. Stay safe all our members from that area. All members for that matter.

I haven’t done any shopping for the virus situation but because of the way that I shop I didn’t need to. I could easily not shop for the next 6 months and still have plenty left of both food and toilet paper.

I have already put out the word to a few of my neighbors and my tiny church that I can help them out if they are in a jam for food, I didn’t mention or offer the TP but I know that I can inquire about that need in person if someone approaches me for food.

I’m under the impression that these shortages are starting to be dealt with and that the hoarding impulse will settle down in time, plus the shippers and stores are coming up with solutions to getting product into everyone’s hands, the main thing is that no American is going to starve, just be annoyed and inconvenienced with the hassles involved with getting what they want and need.

Question for our members in Spain, maybe local to Barcelona:

I saw a photo of what appear to be a blue & yellow poster describing, in Spanish, a protocol of actions to be carried out when returning home from being out & about, walking a dog, etc. I haven't been able to find it again. The protocol included such things as:

Remove shoes upon entering,

Don't touch anything once inside,

Wash the dog's paws,

Sanitize any items purchased,

Remove clothing & place in plastic bag for laundering.

Shower or bathe.

There were more actions, but I can't remember what they are.

Can anyone respond please, with a pic, copy or file of this poster?

Thanks!

slmjim

What’s ironic is that under my old boss, I was able to work from home on Fridays, but new boss doesn’t like nor lets people do that much if at all, so I was “grandfathered in”.

Now with the kung flu, there’s a companywide push to keep almost everyone at home, so I’m doing that pretty much every weekday now. :crown: :beer:

Sadly ironically, too, what was a major pain in the ass, ie, traffic, is so much lighter now, that I didn’t mind driving in. (I could also go by bus, but the ’58 goes through Corona… and along Corona Av! Eep! :open_mouth: )

I wonder how far this is going to go. Jordan's nationwide curfew says if your caught outside of your residence you could face up to a year in jail even if you go out to buy food. Almost 400 arrested already. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/coronavirus-jordan-begins-nationwide-curfew-for-10m-citizens

within a few days by now USA has the 3rd highest number of confirmed cases

china

Italy

usa

crazy

All over the world.
We are helpless.

Africa and poor countries will be particularly hard hit by this virus-

Stay at home
think about human behaviour

This time you will see
what you really need-

The nature is grateful

rethink

(cherry-coke addict here)
For me, stevia is the worst tasting sweetener, closely followed by aspartam. Luckily over here everywhere we still have the option for only sugar. I’m not overweight and after 53 years still have all my teeth, so I indulge myself in the original thing.

People in the US are stocking up on guns and ammo in addition to food supplies , Is that going on in Finland too ?

This virus is making our government close almost everything except grocery stores and pharmacies, they also stopped all public transport services except taxi.

But to make things worse, we had 2 big earthquakes this morning in our main city Zagreb, M5,4 and M5,0.
Lots of buildings and houses damaged and also a lot of them not safe to live in any more.
So people who should be inside to be “safe” from virus now have to leave their homes…

Things just keep getting worse :frowning:

saw that :(

hard times...

Stay save all together!

I have always been a believer in keeping a supply of the nonperishable items on hand. So back in late January, I made certain that we were stocked. I bought some extras, but we already had 30 rolls of TP. A case of paper towels. Assorted canned goods…. 24 cans of sardines more or less the same of Alaskan salmon, tomatoes and tomato sauce. I buy pasta and grains in 12 to 25 pound batches. But the quantities are not unusual for us. My parents always had bought things in volume so I think they were an influence on me. I don’t consider myself a prepper, just an old Boy Scout. (73 years for reference)

However, we mostly eat fresh foods. The leafy greens, fresh tomatoes, avocados, etc don’t store well for long times. Many of the canned foods that are for emergency use never get eaten by us. A couple of times a year I replace things that have reached or past their “best-by” date. I know that the best-by dates are not expiration dates. The food is still fine to use. I donate those items that are past or near their best-by dates to the local food bank after I buy replacements. I think the food banks may need an infusion of donations at this time if people are unemployed because of closures and if the social aid from our government is not stepped up. I know there are locales who do not have the ability to keep more than the next weeks worth of food on hand in normal times.

Some of the local restaurants have banded together in their food purchases and are taking orders from individuals to order foods from them. The wholesale food suppliers still run their trucks to the restaurants.

Went to my local grocery store to stock up today. Went in right as the store opened at 6:00 a.m… Maybe 15 other people there waiting for the doors to open.

By the time I finished my shopping a half hour later there were 60 or 70 cars at the store. I got almost everything on my list, but pickings were somewhat sparse. Only 3 packages of ground beef in the entire store.