I don't like tail clickys

Not needing to shine my light in a tactical type situation, I find it not convenient to use the tail clicky. I do not find a problem with the front clicky or the twisty. The front clicky is the most convenient for me, but nearly all my lights have a twisty.

Jerry

I'd rather have a tail-clicky than a normal twisty as I can still do the tail-clicky one handed. A head twisty is ok if quick mode changes aren't needed but if they are then you often need two hands to do it quick enough. Forward clickies are still the best but if they could just figure out how to add them without adding more than 1/2" to the length of the torch.

Me too... forward clicky is most convenient, although I have a lot of twist types too that I like to use. I like twistys for the simplicity and reliability. I can get used to reverse clickys in 5-10 minutes. So all-3 are good for me. Side "thumb" switches generally remain off my list. They are usually more $$$ and I don't see the added benefits.

I agree, tail clickies can be a PITA.

There are a number of lights that have a front switch

Trustfire T2 is a gorgeous one, but the switch is a little sensitive and if you have it in your pocket you can accidentally turn it on.

TK41!!

Caveman (twist the head)

Trustfire Z1 (cr 123 battery) and its AA sister, can't remember the name

Personally, I think the lights I've seen with the best interfaces are ones where everything can be accessed without moving your hand from the light. I've also found that for a small EDC light, the forward position is more comfortable.

Of my lights, the lights with the most comfortable UIs are:

1. RRT-01 - magnetic rotator ring at front of light. Very easy to use one-handed. When grabbing the light, thumb and fingers naturally land on the fully-knurled rotating ring giving a very secure feeling. Can access any brightness setting instantly. Virtually no risk of accidentally getting to wrong setting. Won't turn on accidentally in pocket. Very simple to use.

2. Zebralight SC80 and SC600 - very comfortable side electronic switch. Well-recessed into the light and stiff enough to prevent accidental pocket activation. Thumb naturally slides onto the switch when picking up the light. Interface allows easy access to all brightness settings. Issues: not infinitely variable, and can accidentally get to high mode by mistiming button press especially when groggy from waking up in middle of night.

Side switch like SR King, UltraFire UF-T50 and ZL SC600, if every light had this setup I would love it.

I always wanted to try the Romisen RC-P3, which is one of the most affordable flashlight with a front clicky. On 1AA lights I prefer rear clickies, because most affordable side switch constructions add substantially to the overall length of the flashlight, but on a 2AA I wouldn't mind it that much.

Yes, I'd greatly prefer side switches, especially on bigger multi-cell lights. The fact that there are so few budget options are a main reason why I don't own one. If I ever end up buying a TK41 - which I can't afford or justify - the side switches will be a strongly contributing factor.

I prefer a reverse click switch over a forward click one. Particularly with multi mode lights... I don't like twist switches, and I despise twist with momentary on. ( see Surefire g2 )
I really prefer a barrel mount switch , they just seem more natural.

And I have a real distaste for a soft, mushy ( long press ) switch . YUK!

Then again,it may just be what I've gotten used to.

I always used to have trouble with the incan Maglite D clicky located below the head, especially when I was wearing gloves in the cold. It was just too small.

The side-switch on the Zebralights rule, I personally never use my lights in a tactical way...

My Skyray King and Tank007 HC-128 are my favorite lights due to the side-clickie configuration.

+1

I'm thinking there's bound to be a silicone tailcap out there that will fit, and work better than the stock cap.

I always wondered why they still made twisty lights when clickies were so much better. I guess it’s the same reason they still make pocket knives without clips or locks. Someone is still buying them or they would’nt make them.

Well, locking pocket knives are strictly illegal in the UK so the non-locking ones sell here. Maybe there's a country where clicky flashlights are a crime?

Twisties have some advantages over a typical clickie:

1. Cheaper to make so flashlight can be sold for less.

2. Smaller - twisty lights tend to be slightly smaller than clickies since there's no need to make room for clicky switch.

3. More reliable - since there isn't a switch to break, in theory a twisty is more reliable in the long-term.

Personally, I much prefer clickies since they're easier to use and you don't have to worry about the head falling off if you unscrew too far. They also don't wobble due to loose threads when off.

Though the magnetic rotator ring in the RRT-01 operates sorta like a twisty, it actually feels more like a clicky, since it's easy to flick from one end to the other, there's a hard stop at each end, and the light feels solid and screwed in all the way at all times.

+1 on magnetic switches. I have one on my Stenlight (Warning, not a budget light!) helmet light. Just rotate the lever to activate any of 4 light levels and off. Quick and painless. Went for my first ride with my new JM07 Pro hanging from the handlebars last night. It reminded me what a PITA clickies are, especially when riding and the light is attached with a noodlely 2fish mount. I need to figure out a hard mount for that light.

Welcome to BLF, Tmax.

i luve looking at beautiful women. i mean the mature ones. their double symmetric voluptuous figure lines. ive got one of them hanging on my white wall. so charmingly she looks back at me from the wall!!

and on the shelf i am looking for the same. however looking at the profile of a side clicky in the afterglow all i see are the asymmetries of a doodle bug climbing a manchester..

Kreisler,

I bet you 'aint never seen no doodle bug.??