SOG Dark Energy FlashLights

LOL - I speed read their site and came up with “SOB Daft Energy 214” I was like …wait a minute!

remind me of Brite Strike

LOL - I speed read their site and came up with “SOB Daft Energy 214” I was like …wait a minute, that can’t be right.
Turns out it wasn’t.

Love the styling, 8) … hate the price. :expressionless:

ROTFLMAO !

Actually, it will be called “Sogfire DE412”. :slight_smile:

If they price out like all other SOG stuff I have bought the street price should be about 40-60% of MSRP. Not too bad but too rich for my blood.

The shorty version is hot but the longer one not so much. Cant wait for the Ultrafire clone to come out!

$100+ for 247 lumens?

We are too spoiled here to pay that kind of money for that kind of performance.

Look at it this way….a new Tk41 or a 247 lumen 2x Cr123 weird looking light? Which would you choose?

Or 3 Cavemans (Cavemen?)

Or 3 XINTD C8’s

No question how I would spend the C-note.

Agreed I mean a 300+ lumenFenix PD32 is going for about $56 right now on Amazon. As someone said earlier those prices will come way way down there knife prices drop fast .

I will say that they look like they will tear your pants or pocket up real good with that aggressive knurling. Especially on the 2-cell version with the clip end over the knurling. Pocket openings will get torn up real quick!

Coleman has had a knife light for years now, the Coleman Exponent Flashlight.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Exponent-Flashlight-with-Knife/dp/B001H55L42

Tool logic also sells a flashlight knife. I love mine except for the fact that it uses weird batteries.

SOG making lights is like actors wanting to sing…

Sorry to resurrect and old inactive thread but I just saw these online and felt the need to post a comment, some photos, and maybe spark an interest. I’m wondering if any BLF’ers have got ahold of one and opened it up yet? I wonder what type of emitter they have and if they could be a candidate for modding.

I have to admit I’m a fan of aggressive knurling however these take it to an extreme. But I’d still like to check one out in person. I like the “Twisted Swirled Knurl” because it’s different looking. Price still too high at about $54 on fleabay for the single CR123 version ($64 for the 2xCR123)

Close up shots of knurling

2xCR123 version:

These could be marketed as multi-function as a file or cheese grater, keep it handy on the kitchen table and use it to grate a block of hard romano right over your bowl of pasta. Or in a survival situation to make sawdust to start a fire with. Also could be used to grind coffee beans by rolling it over them on a hard surface. Use as a rotary file to de-burr the inside battery tube of a larger flashlight. The uses are endless!

Still waiting for the SogaFire AGSOYH (Ain’t gonna slip outta yer hand) version at DX. :bigsmile:

Here’s a linky to a photo of the emitter, unfortunately not of very good quality.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17unnc5goaqk1jpg/xlarge.jpg

positive:
You can get rid of the pocket clip if you wish.

negative:
crenelated bezel and deep recessed clicky

funny:
‘so we developed a full on full off switch (each and every time) that also half-taps to 40% output and then tactical strobe’
—> whoa they invented the reverse clicky and the UI is as good as in any $5 light from dx

‘gunny approved’ —> lol, now I’m gonna buy four of’em

The target group of this light are not the flashaholics, it’s the same with brands like Walther.
A friend of mine already got his second Walther flashlight, same style, crenelated bezel and aggressive knurling, he likes it and I could go on for ever showing him my budget lights like Xiaozhi and Solarforce, he will still prefer his Walther.
To each his own.
(search for walther rebel tactical light rbl 800, if you want to take a look at it)

Sog Dark Energy, with exfoliating properties, your hands will be softer and smoother! :bigsmile:

I picked one up about a year ago on sale. Can’t remember where or how much. I remember thinking it was a fair deal. I liked the look and was curious.

I don’t have the technical review capabilities as some of the other members, but here is my knob review of it.

So far its been a fun light to play with. It has some flaws (in my opinion). Like the low mode is way too bright, rather large for a single cell, knurling will thrash anything it comes in contact with, Price is a bit high for the output.

I do find situations where the knurling is a positive, like hunting or wearing gloves. It is easier to keep a hold to when you have on gloves and your hands are freezing. You are less likely to have it slip out and falling the water or whatever. In that situation the larger size is a positive too.

I also have used the bezel as a screwdriver and I have used it to pop off beer bottle tops too. So it has some good uses there.

One thing I found cool is that it has “SOG” written all around the LED. It will reflect off the deep reflector when you look down at it. Looks pretty neat.

It feels like it is built like a tank. No sounds when you shake it around. It provides a nice sold thud when you drop it. lol

I also have a 200lm E2DL defender from surefire, and this one is on par with brightness. I would say the SOG has a slightly better throw.

I have made it my boat light. I tied some para cord on it and put it around my neck when I go duck hunting too. I find in slippery, cold conditions where I have to wear gloves it really helps to have all the knurling & size. But don’t put it in your nice trouser pocket, or in the same pocket as your billfold. It will shred them.

As long as it is not sold at Academy, the Non flashlight guys will be very impressed with it.

So thats my opinion & experience with it.

i haven’t bought one yet but someone over at edcf was asking about sog in general and i mentioned the light and the lifetime guarantee on their knives…i got curious and emailed if the warranty applied to the light…they said yes…so why not spend 60 bucks for a cr123 that will be replaced for free if it breaks…

I have tons of their products. Some good, some not so good. But, If you are looking at just output and features, this one may seem expensive. However, it is built to serve a specific purpose. And it does that well. As for EDC, I caution anyone that carries it full time. It has very deep knurling. I can and will tear up clothing if allowed to rub. Its best carried in a pouch or holster of some kind, or shirt/jacket pocket.
Anyways, I have owned 2 of them since they first came out. No issues, and I still like mine. Funny thing is I have never tried to take it apart and see if it can be modded. The wife loves hers. Out of all the lights I own, she prefers it.

My opinion is that this light is generally under rated. Others may disagree. Mostly because they forget that it is a purpose built light.