16mm Triple Build

Are there “off the shelf” options for triple setups on 16mm boards? How about optics?

I’ve seen some smaller boards for sale, but no optics on their own. I’m sure they exist for the TS10 and FWAA but I’m hoping to avoid buying a full light.

What I have in mind is a Convoy T3 triple with 8A buck driver, now that they’re offered in 17mm.

1 Thank

Back when they were alive, Fasttech had some “standard” boards, and… was it LEDsupply?.. had a bunch of optix, including triples, that would fit. Usually Carclo, I think.

1 Thank

Not that I know of but I’d love one too.

Keep in mind the T2/T3 has a weird little raised edge around the perimeter of the shelf. The stock MCPCB is shaped to accommodate it. For a new MCPCB, you’ll either need to remove some material from the board (if there’s room), mill away the lip on the shelf, or use a spacer to raise the board above the lip.

Lastly, you may have height issues when you replace the reflector with a triple/optic.

Here’s a T3 triple I made with a TS10 board (which I had converted to a single) and the TS10 bezel.

Oh, one more thing. I’m working on a replacement head mod for the T2/3. I have some brass plumbing fittings that will work perfectly. After some shaping they won’t look like hardware. They’ll allow for an 18mm board which is within reason to file down from a 20mm board. I’ve finally started the project and will make an ongoing post about it soon and link to it from here.

1 Thank

You can buy a FWAA mcpcb from Lumintop’s Aliexpress store, but they are expensive if you’re just buying one. They used to have the matching optic too, but I can’t seem to find it anymore.

2 Thanks