18350 vs 16340 exchangibility

I’m looking at two Sofirn lights: SC21 Mini and the IF19. The former uses 16340 battery while the latter 18350, I believe.

These maybe silly questions, but the Sofirn batteries of both types seem to have similar capacities. So the first silly question is: are there batteries if either type that would have significantly higher capacity or performance relevant to those two lights?

And the second one: is it possible/wise to ‘standardise’ in say 16340 battery by using some kind of wrapping for the larger tube if necessary?

the Sofirn 16340 has 800mAh capacity

The highest capacity 16340 I know of has 850mAh capacity.

the Sofirn 18350 has 1100mAh capacity

There is no 16340 w 1100mAh capacity.

The highest capacity 18350 button top I know of is this one. It has 1400mAh capacity, but it is slightly longer than the one Sofirn uses. I have not tried it, but it might fit in the Sofirn 18350 light, not sure.

yes you can use a 16340 in an 18350 light, no need for a sleeve, but there is no capacity benefit

3 Thanks

The 18350 that came with my IF19 says 850 mah.

@James_C
An unrelated question: to wake up the IF19 from the auto lockout mode, do you need two or four clicks?

thanks, my mistake, I dont have an IF19

my Sofirn SC13 has an 1100mAh 18350

I wonder why the difference. My first thought would be the 850 mah version has a higher discharge rate. The wrapper doesn’t mention anything though.

Two clicks will exit lockout and return you to the memorized level. It does two quick but annoying flashes when exiting lockout.

2 Thanks

@jon_slider
An unrelated question for you as well :⁠-⁠)

You have both SC21 PRO and SC13. I thought I wanted SC21 Mini (flat outputs, nice emitter, balanced beam, nothing wrong with UI). How do you find the newer SC13 in comparison?

The SC13 LED is Low CRI and the beam is floody w no defined hotspot.

The SC21 (both pro and mini) has a High CRI LED and the beam has a focused hotspot plus a clean transition to the spill.

that makes sense
fwiw the 1100mAh 18350 is 35.8mm long

1 Thank

FYI, SC13 is either $12 or $14 depending on whether you want a battery. This link may not work if you are not in the USA. The deal price may change from time to time.
Aliexpress Super Deal

2 Thanks

My guess is, it’s just ancient. My IF19 came with 850, too.

Edit: replied to the wrong comment. Wanted to reply to the “wonder why they are so different” comment.

FYI there is a new Vapcell 1600mAh 18350 (F16), though I haven’t seen it available from retailers yet.

1 Thank

What would be the highest capacity 16340?

From Vapcell, it is the T8 (850mAh) in the same 3A current class as the F16. Not sure if there’s any better 16340s, it is not a format that’s gotten much innovation/use recently.

I think the F16 is probably using similar chemistry to the new ultra-high capacity 18650s and 21700s (N40 and F60) where you only get the full capacity at a very low current.

For the IF19 since it’s an SFT40 light I would instead use an M11v2 or a similar cell (10A 1100mAh) for performance in turbo, though not the A11 as it’s not as good at higher current.

1 Thank

SST40, bleh

Oh, ew.

Might as well get Wurkkos TS11 then, or a TS11S (simpler UI), for the SFT40 @mcjtom

How different in practice from SF19 is the TS11. I gather that the beam is more concentrated and the spill less pronounced?

I looked at the runtime graph hoping for some flatter regulation - what I found was pretty granular thermal regulation? Does that matter?

The more concentrated beam of the TS11 means you can see faraway objects better with a lower brightness, meaning the battery lasts longer.

Also the TS11 has an enthusiast oriented UI called Anduril, with features like a voltage readout and a customizable lockout mode.

1 Thank

I don’t know how much the two differ in practice, but TS11 has almost twice the cd/lm ratio, indicating tighter spot and less spill. There was a recent discussion on what beam profile could be more helpful in finding things:

I have 2 TS11, I would say the beam with the SFT40 is pretty useful for looking around outdoors. It is bright and has some gradual spill around the hotspot, that is why the SFT40 is such a popular choice when combined with that TIR (the Sofirn IF22A has it, if you want to look at reviews)

Also, if you want a longer runtime you can get an optional 18650 tube which more than doubles the capacity (going from the stock 1200mAh 18350 to an 18650 with over 3000mAh)

2 Thanks