18350 vs 16340 exchangibility

Sofirn IF22A is a good option. A high capacity 21700 makes the mediocre regulation less of a concern. It can be used as a powerbank. If you want a shorter light, you can get the 21350 tube (but those cells are uncommon so you might just be using an 18350). UI is fine and no auto lock.

The ramping UI is awful, stepped mode is very usable though.

What don’t you like about ramping? Too slow? IMO it’s way too slow on the IF19. I’d have to find my IF22A to check that one, I don’t remember. My HS10 is also too slow. Must be a Sofirn thing.

The problem with ramping on Sofirn’s UI is that the ramp is linear, whereas percieved brightness follows an exponential curve. This makes it so the low modes take too long, and the high modes go past too fast.

Anduril has an exponential ramp, so the increase in brightness feels linear to the eye. That is one of the reasons I would recommend the TS11, the better UI

2 Thanks

I’ve never used a flashlight with the Anduril UI (and reading about the performance differences between SC21 Mini and Pro doesn’t seem to advertise it too well) but I can chip in on the perceived brightness vs. linear changes in luminance.

It often goes by the name of either Weber-Fechner law or Stevens power law and it states that the perceived brightness (and several other physiological responses) are nonlinear w.r.t. the stimulus causing them.

It’s debatable whether the phenomenon it better modeled by the power law (the famous gamma curve in photography) or logarithmic curves or some other relation, but it is believed that, within an adaptation zone, it roughly looks like this:

Taken from: The Human Visual System (Display Interfaces) Part 2

1 Thank

I found this video comparing beams of TS11 and IF19.

Suggest you choose and buy a light that uses Anduril UI.

Your direct personal experience will help you learn useful information faster, than asking questions with no experience.

3 Thanks

I don’t want to get too picky here JS, but will just add that change is the only constant, and the Nitecore NL169 is fairly honestly rated at 950. I’ve tested and am using them. That might put the math just a small bit closer. Max load current requirement must also be considered, of course.

thanks! Super helpful :wink: :beer:

Great to learn about a new high capacity button top, with Low Voltage Protection, that is not too long.

I really like that the Nitecore NL169 has Low Voltage Protection and is just 34mm long. (not too long for my unprotected 2012 Jetbeam RRT-01). And Im fine with the 2A max discharge rate, as that light only needs 1.5A max. (and I seldom use Max output anyway)

I might try the Protected Nitecore in my HDS Rotary and Sofirn SC21 Pro also. Hopefully the protection in the Nitecore battery wont conflict w the built in Low Voltage Protection in these two models, and hopefully the protection in the Nitecore cell wont trip when using high output on the SC21 Pro.

I will probably buy a couple of those 950mAh Nitecore cells. (pending a reply from vapcell_dennis who I just messaged asking for a new High Capacity protected button top)

I see Nitecore also offers the same capacity in a USB 16340, although it is 36.32mm, which might be too long for the three lights mentioned… not sure yet.

My search for those last 3 things is what led me to these cells (rather than merely capacity). They are even a great fit in an ET D25C, which is length-critical. I think we both use a fair few 16340 lights, so I thought you mignt be interested;-)

outstanding! really appreciate you sharing info

Well, if a little info’s good, perhaps more might be better (although that’s not true of a lot of things). Here’s a link, to a link, to the results I saw when I tested those NL169s, just to give you a preview of what you might expect before you try them. This does not show the internal resistance measurements, but they were pretty good, and consistant. I don’t have that info handy right now. I only tested them @ 1.0 A and .5A discharge rate, and the cutoff voltage I used was 2.8V. I wanted parameters both testers supported. I’ve also not verified the discharge cutoff voltage of these cells, but I can tell you it works, as I’ve exercised it a time or two. I’ve re-tested a few after a few months of regular use and was happy, but it’s still early days, so longevity is TBD. As an aside, that NL166 I tested was rated @ 4 A continuous, but that part is being phased out.

1 Thank

I’m still confused with Vapcell batteries models. For example, for Sofirn SF19 the max current drawn on turbo seems to be a little over 6A.. So I figured that out of 6 different Vapcell 18350 models on this page 4 of them should work and at least 2 of them would improve the runtime over the Sofirn own 850 mA cells? Is that correct, which one too choose, and is the difference significant enough to bother (I’ve heard that Sofirn branded batteries are decent enough)?

Also the Sofirn battery seems to have button top but the Vapcells do not (but they say it can be added?). Does it matter with IF19 which has a spring on each side?

And if not Vapcell then what?

Please help with the confusion…

p.s. I take it these are all ‘unprotected’ cells?

Nope, I have a keepower 1200 mAh in mine. It’s flat top and works perfectly. Quite a bit brighter, too.

2 Thanks

Cheers. I found this bunch:

There is a few that look appropriate (fairly high rated capacity and continuous discharge more than 6A), both flat and button top. How do one choose?

Also, what are the consequences of protected vs. unprotected for this particular flashlight?

I recommend the M11v2, it is overall the best 18350 from Vapcell.

1 Thank