[2019-01-02] A quick reminder about signatures

I think it would be different when an American has such a signature.
It also wouldn’t have been a problem if you had a signature that nailed it about Poland and Polish people, or Europe in general.
(i think).

There’s definitely some truth to it.
Personally i think it shouldn’t have been removed.
But i can also imagine people being offended by it.

Where to draw the line?

Post 30 :+1:
Post 42 :+1:

Yes, true.
“They” have divided us and put us up against eachother.
You see it in all of the western world.
The sexes, races, religions (including atheism), age groups…

It’s a watered down (but more realistic as a practical rule) version of what Jesus said:
“Treat others the way you would like to be treated.” (the famous “Do unto others” verse)
But honesty can stand in the way of being “nice” in that case too.

I’m quite passionate and i love to discuss these things.
Yeah, i have accounts on other forums for that too.
But there you’ll find the same problems we’re discussing here now.
Lightbringer put it into words quite clearly i.m.o., with passion, i might add…

To be honest, this isn’t a new rule. The BLF Rules have been more or less the same ever since the inception of the site, and the last time I added to them I believe it was to include the boilerplate clause about not suing me if you blow yourself up with a Li-Ion and/or the item with the Privacy Policy stuff. Obviously, the signature is part of your post, so it is subject to the same BLF Rules. This post was simply intended to remind users of that fact.

Unfortunately I can’t find a way to do that. (There is an add-on module that supposedly provides this functionality, but it doesn’t work.) Maybe ToyKeeper has an idea of how to do that with an ad-blocker or GreaseMonkey or something similar?

Freedom is most offensive to those who suffer from both a lack of it and a refusal to sacrifice for it.

Unwillingness to take bait is not the same thing as inability to refute it.

Self-restraint is a virtue we could probably all stand to exercise a little more, instead of giving in to more primal instincts.

I might have an idea or two. The “Stylus” extension makes it reasonably simple to do.

Thank you! I knew I had seen that somewhere but I searched around and couldn’t find it, thought it was in your BLF After Dark theme thread.

I find this all a bit amusing, but don’t plan to comment on the general content. This specific statement caught my attention,

as it reminded me of another quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald which I saw for the first time recently that really struck a chord with me.

I’ve never been offended by anyone’s signature. I just hate the long ones with pictures that take up more space than a member’s post.

In order not to see signatures in text format I can suggest (for firefox, but I think it exists also for other browsers) the add-on “Text Rewriter”
When it finds a certain alphanumeric string, it replaces it with another text you choose.
For images use Ublock Origin

As is usual when I’m tempted to weigh in on a controversial subject, ToyKeeper has already said what needed to be said much more eloquently than I could have. I agree with this 100%.

sb56637’s post reminded people of the existing site rules, gave some examples of things that might break the rules, and politely asked everyone to review their own signature. It looks like a few people have had their signatures edited but as far as I can tell sb56637 hasn’t let rip with the ban hammer. This doesn’t seem heavy handed or the start of a slippery slope to me.

I think it’s important to remember that people see your signature at the bottom of every post you make and might have to scroll past it several times on a page if there’s a lot of discussion in a thread. I do most of my BLF browsing on my phone while on the train and I would prefer not to see multi-line or image-heavy signatures. On the other hand, I really appreciate it when people’s signatures contain links to their projects, tests, reviews, and other useful threads they have created.

ToyKeeper

There may be “some” wisdom there …but, then again, for some people there is Shakespeare’s little ditty.

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks” :wink: The lady doth protest too much, methinks - Wikipedia

True.
But who provided the first bait (if any) here? Does that even matter?
You didn’t refute anything you seem to disagree with though.
In a nutshell, it’s about the slippery slope we see on the internet platforms.
But maybe those who oppose that trend reacted with a little too much concern.

That would include taking offence / being triggered by signatures that don’t target people in a negative way.
I think it also includes throwing the book at people.

Either way, yes, we could all use a little more self reflection every now and then.
Restraint will follow from that by itself, if it works.
Or after the fact, like the previous post i just deleted… :person_facepalming:
Sorry…

If you have something you’d like to debate, it can be done in private messages. This public thread is not really an appropriate place though.

Did someone complain about raccoon city’s sig again? lol

There’s an astronomy forum called cloudy nights ,they have a function that lets members not show certain signatures .
So it can be done.

Yes, it’s definitely technically possible, but not with the forum software we have here, unless somebody writes a custom module.

Then why do you post this now?
I don’t want you to fight me.
Well, not per se anyway. :wink:
We’re discussing things i.m.o.

But it’s you who fights signatures you don’t like.
(and not just you of course)
Isn’t that why SB chose to post this reminder of the rules?
Or has there been an increase in ‘offensive’ signatures?

Anyway, so we both made a silly post (or more…)
Sorry i quoted this one before you could delete it.

Maybe i should unsub this topic.
All has been said already.

Guys seriously, this is a FLASHLIGHT forum. We talk about flashlights. It’s so oddly specific, I mean, we’ve all tried to explain to someone where we got our bright light—“well, see, I’m on this flashlight forum…” :person_facepalming: Lol. If any group of people should be thought to get along it’s the flashlight nerds. (I mean that in a good way) Come on guys! Spread a little light!

What about befuddling people with it?

I saw the “dog whistle” comment twice, saw your ‘Q’… and I’m still completely lost.

Okay, so what’m I missing?

I take it that it’s not this Q

and the only other thing I can find (like, just now) is “QAnon”.

Hmm, fascinating…

Still… “dog whistle”??