[2023-02-14] Email issues RESOLVED for @Yahoo/@Verizon/@AOL/@sbcglobal/@ATT

2023-02-15, 2:00am GMT

The arbitrary block that they placed on BLF email sent to @sbcglobal.net and @att.net appears to have been lifted! :star: Affected users, please try again to reset your password. :star:

2023-02-12, 2:00am GMT

The issues with Yahoo/Verizon/AOL seem to be resolved for now.
I’m still trying to communicate with @sbcglobal.net and @att.net , which are still rejecting emails from BLF. Please complain to them if you are able.

Please contact me at this email address to switch your account to an alternative email address:

email

2023-02-11 4:00pm GMT

It looks like Yahoo / AOL / Verizon email is again being problematic. The mails aren’t being rejected but it appears they’re not arriving quickly. For now I guess we just have to wait.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for bearing with me during the transition phase today. There was an issue outside of my control with the way the internet updated its list of server names. (For technical users: There were major issues with DNS propagation today, far slower than in my extensive testing over the past months. And worse still, various DNS services were bouncing back and forth between the new and old IP for many hours, which I’ve never seen before in many years of experience.) So I held back from enabling email on the new server, but I forgot that new account creation was enabled while the server was still unable to send account verification emails. Then, after I enabled emails, the typical problematic email providers didn’t update their records after everybody else already had done so, and they were rejecting messages from BLF.

So long story short, the problem appears to be resolved now.

And a request to users that created a second BLF account during the transition phase: Please PM me from your normal BLF account and confirm the email address and username of the attempted new account. Then I can re-send an account creation email to any users that were actually new during that time frame. Thanks a lot!

1 Thank

I tried log in with my user name and password as usual but I could not login. The message said “Incorrect username, email or password”.

So, I put my email address and password and tried to login. It did not work.

Finally, I clicked “Skip the password, email me a login link” and I was able to log in. Do I have to reset my password?

Now that I read the Migration complete thread. I see that I have to reset my password.

I think it would reduce confusion if the instruction to log in is simple and visible at the top of this thread or the migration thread.

For example,
First time login instruction

1. Put your account email and click “Skip the password, email me a login link”.
  2. Once you log in reset your password.

or
First time login instruction
You have to reset your password. Click “I forgot my password” to reset your password.

1 Thank

Great, worked for me. Thank you.

1 Thank

Login didn’t work with my credentials, so I had to reset my PW - thanks @Limsup . And thanks @sb56637 for the new sandbox.

Alles so schön bunt hier -Nina Hagen

1 Thank

Thanks for your persistence, and sorry for the confusion! To be honest I don’t understand the point of the Discourse option for a login link via email; as I understand it simply logs you in via the email link but doesn’t reset your password. So would recommend updating your password so you don’t have to get another email link in the future.

Anybody else that created a secondary new BLF account yesterday before I enabled email sending?

Yes I had to this morning – My chop728 account won’t send me a reset email

That would be @chops728 with an s , correct? Could you please PM the email address that you’re trying to use to reset it?

OK – I was able to message you after having 2 post

Oh, this doesn’t work for you?
https://budgetlightforum.com/new-message?username=sb56637

I did update my password. I just did not know that I had to reset my password when I first logged in. I found that out after I searched for your “migration complete” thread. I would have not known that I had to reset my password if I had not known where to look for what to do.

First thing a user would do is to put in the old user name and password. I don’t think people would find it natural to reset their password. That is why I suggest a short and very visible message that users have to reset their password if they are using the updated website for the first time.

All set for me! Just a huge thanks to sb56637 for putting in all the work to upgrade the forum. Undoubtedly much more hassle than planned.

1 Thank

Unfortunately, I’ve found that I have to reset my password using an email link for each of my different devices/PC that I use to sign in to BLF - doing it for one device did not reset the password so I could sign in using any device or my PC.

Hi there @NorthernHarrier , if you use this option it will let you reset your password, and then you get just log in normally on all your devices:

1 Thank

2023-02-11 4:00pm GMT

It looks like Yahoo / AOL / Verizon email is again being problematic. The mails aren’t being rejected but it appears they’re not arriving quickly.

sb56637: thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I did try using that method to reset my password, on both my phone and my PC. And the website did not remember my reset password with either device. I just tried it again with my PC - hopefully it will work better this time. It did ask me to enter a password in a different way this time, so maybe this will be successful?

Thanks, again,

Jeff

@NorthernHarrier Thanks Jeff. There are two options, one is just for a one-time use link that gets sent to your email for logging in a single device, and the other more normal option is to reset your account password.

1 Thank

Thanks! I seem to be able to sign in now.

Jeff

1 Thank

I recommend copying the directions for existing users to reset their password be copied from the migration status thread:

…to the Welcome to the New Budget Light Forum thread:

In short, make the requirement to reset passwords as prominent as possible. I figured it out before I managed to find that requirement, but I bet many others will not.

Good work completing the migration!