3 volt XHP50.2

Is it possible to get on the EU groupbuy with 2 bare leds?

How fast does the heat gets up?

Can u do testing ?

If anyone has got leds from us that are not what we promote it is either an accident in shipping or the led does not meet the spec as promoted/spec’d by Cree, either way we are always happy to refund/replace if you feel you have been ‘done over’. You boys are notably frank, let me return the frankness. My time on this forum is directly proportional to the revenue I derive, hence I have not been on here much, between the freight moaners and the I got the bargain of the century, that quickly ends up in the fake awareness remorse section guys, I dont see it as a business model that makes sense. I luv you guys, I think this is one of the most innovative forums for leds on the planet, But Im down under, I cant ship a $1 led for nothing. Always happy to support a Group buy or other way to help you maintain the frugal platform. just saying
Cheers
Mark

I appreciate the frankness, Mark. We certainly are a frugal bunch!

While I haven’t had the fortune of doing business with you yet, I’ll say that I’ve heard nothing but good of you and of Cutter. It’s usually more of the “check out these awesome LEDs that Cutter has!”

Hi Mark! Yes, we are a fussy bunch and spoiled by the shipping rates we get from China and eastern Europe/Asia, for sure...

Just hope you can keep us informed of any new deals, and keep a supply on hand for us to buy bare.

They were not that hard to tell apart the W2 from the regular XPL’s (pic borrowed from DBCustoms)

The W2 2B on the left the Regular XPL on the right. Apparently a mistake was made….because they matched my Regular XPL’s I had on hand which is not too hard to see the difference in the emitters, it wasn’t worth the price to send them back, I let it go. But I never forget.

For those of you that want some I have them in stock now.
https://asflashlights.com/home/130-cree-xhp-70-n4-5700k.html

Those are bare LEDs. When I get back on Monday if there are any left I will reflow some to mcpcbs.

That’s great! I’ll have a reflowed emitter since I no longer have a decent workstation to do modding. Let’s hope there’s any left.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. To me it seems like you expected these LEDs to pop up at all the stores at exactly the same time as if it were an iPhone or something. With a product like the iPhone, Apple ships their stock out to all of the Apple stores in advance and then the Apple Store’s sit on the inventory for days or weeks until the phone officially goes on sale. This is why you see them show up at all the Apple stores all on the same day.

Small products, like LEDs, just do not work like that. Cree will start shipping out LEDs slowly to various stores. Shipping times vary. Then each store takes a certain amount of time to put this new product into inventory and create a new web page for it. Some stores may even wait until they can test out the product. So this is why you see LEDs slowly trickle out over the course of several weeks or months. So right now we have two stores carrying the 3v xhp50.2, Cutter and Adventure Sport Flashlights. Next week we will probably get a third or fourth store. After a month or so they should be in all of the normal stores that carry LEDs.

I hope that makes sense.

I too have noticed that Cutter specifically seems to have new leds first. Thanks for the info Tom.

Thanks for adding me to the list! Now i have to think about the Host i want to use. I have a C8+ Host at home. But it is with a SMO Reflector. Does anybody have a tip for a cheap Host with OP Reflector that will not overheat intantly.

And SMO reflector works pretty well on the 50.2 + 70.2. Also, you can get an OP reflector for the C8.

I’m more concerned about drivers. If a FET driver burns up the LED that means we’re going to need a linear driver of some type that can limit the output to 6 to 8 amps. Those are hard to find. (E-switch with NarsilM)

Whats with the driver from Led4Power?
I have a regulated 3V 12A driver at home for my SBT-70. But you can order it with less output.
When i get out of the hospital i have a few very nice things waiting for me. Hope i am not to long out!
A 6V MZ led + Jaxman X1 + extension tube and OP Reflector + a 2S 6A Led4Power driver .
The brand new KP CSLNM1.F1 (free Samples from Osram and 2 are on the way to djozz for testing) + a Cometa (with a original Z1 lens)
A Rebel Lime led for a Convoy M1 with SMO reflector
And (if Banggood shippes the light) a HaikeLite HT35 + a SBT-70 (only downside is that i will have to use a dummy cell because i could not get a Buck driver capable of driving a 3V led @~12A in a 2S setup).
And now the C8+ + a 3V XHP50.
Will have to get healthy soon or stop buying flashlight stuff (mhh not buying flashlight stuff mhh :cry: )

CRX: Please update my amounts to:
2x 16 mm 1D bin (no change here)
2x 10 mm 3B bin (instead of 1x 1D on 10 mm)

Do you have a deadline when you decide whether to do this GB or not?

also intrested in one on 20mm mcpcb. Shipping to Holland. Thanks CRX! :+1: for making a list.

Looks like a nice emitter. ridiculous shipping to the EU though…

also, they should work on their font or spacing

Thought it added more than 4000$ shipping for a second.

I don’t have a thermometer so I can only offer my subjective impressions.

In the M2 you feel the heat within three seconds, by 35 seconds (when the driver steps down) it’s getting uncomfortable, step back up to turbo and by 60 seconds the head is too hot to hold.

I haven’t measured current but my first 3 volt XHP50.2 driven by a BLF A6 driver seems to be fine.

The big question, of course, is what battery are you using?

I’ve only tried a 30Q but I’ll try a VTC5 later.

Ohhh, so it stood up to a 30Q without frying. That’s good news. I was afraid you were going to say a Panny B 3400mah or something. Maybe there is something going on with the voltage curves of this new 3-volt version that is making it a bit more robust and resistant to being burned up in a FET driver. I will wait until I see some destructive testing on it before I buy one.

Now if Cree came out with a 3v 70.2 I’d be all over it because those can handle 22A @ 6v. Those are very robust. The 6v 50.2 is a bit fragile.