3 volt XHP50.2

Thanks TA :smiley:

Hi Mark,
I’d love to buy at least two of these but the postage to SA it almost $28AUD :disappointed:

Just got confirmation of Monday 3/4 delivery to the us, for mine. I went DHL.

Thanks cutter, for getting them out the door! Super excited to play with these.

Same here, DHL delivery on Monday…

If anyone does a EU group buy I’d be interested in five or so.

Are these only available at Cutter? Why wouldn’t they be available elsewhere?

Because they just came out a few days ago.

Not only that. Cutter has a special connection with CREE - they get small batches (under 10K) of some odd binned LED's CREE can't get rid of otherwise because volume is too small. These are small batches on the good side though - higher output, special tint, etc. Doesn't happen all too often but did with the XPL W2's for example - they were real if bought from Cutter.

I received my 3 volt XHP 50.2s today and installed one in a Convoy M2. I can confirm that they’re big, bright, floody, hot, and white but unfortunately I don’t have the ability to measure current or lumens.

I built the M2 with a BLF A6 driver, BlueSwordM springs (double at the tailcap) and 18 AWG leads. It’s hard to tell, but I’d say it’s a bit brighter than my D4 with XP-L HI emitters.

Is 3v xhp50.2 the xm-l3?

no, it has the same footprint but it is a bigger quad die led while the XM-L is a smaller single die led.

No. Xhp series is 4 emitters together. Xml is a single emitter.

Just fyi, below is a direct email quote from Mark R. from Cutter back in 2016 about unusual high bin XHP50's he had at the time. Their connection with CREE is great for us.

"Steve may want to chime in and confirm as he has been here and purchased non published bins from us on a fairly regular basis. The problem for Cree is they will often yield higher than published bins but only in non commercial qtys, they only officially release the bin once they can supply everybody, occasionally works in reverse, just has Cree drop a led 2 flux bins as they are having a yield issue".

The closest thing to an XM-L3 that I know of would be the SST-40 I think.

I’d personally prefer to call the 3V XHP50.2, the Cree XM-L2 EX.

Not everyone was so lucky:

Guess that was pretty bad at the time, not sure what happened there. MRsDNF (Steve) actually visits the Cutter store on occasion and talks to Mark directly. He should have been contacted about this, at least. The more of us that receive our 3V XHP50.2, the more we can find out how legit they are.

Here is a quick picture I labeled. (I think xpe2 is correct, not positive)

Notice how the xm-l has the same footprint, white base, as the xhp50? They will fit on the same mcpcb/star, but there is a big difference in the dies, the yellow part.

The xhp50 is made from 4 xpg2 dies, nominal 3v. Usually the 4 dies are wired in series/parallel for 6v or all in series for 12v. This new one has all 4 dies wired in parallel, so it’s a nominal 3v.

Note: 50.2, 70.2, xml2, xpg3 are just newer versions of the above leds, but are still the same basic size. Not exactly, but super close.

The footprints in the picture are 3.5mm (xpe2, xpg2 and xhp35 leds), 5mm (xm-l and xhp50) and 7mm (xhp70). Note that the xhp leds are named after their footprint size.

Sorry - but little more on this. I see that KB1428 did order some of these 3V XHP50.2's earlier in this thread and he is one of those that got burned with the XPL W2 2B's before. Also not sure how they could tell they were V6 1D's - guess they were labeled that way? I know how to verify an exact bin or tint is a problem for me - with some involved testing, I could probably tell the bin if I had good binned LED's to compare with, but a 1D vs. a 2B tint is more involved, but would be easier if I had known good comparable tints to compare with. I got supposed W2 bins from an Ali store that I tested as equal or less than V5 bin LED's and I recall only the Ali store sourcing were wrongly sold and labeled. Funny because the store owners/reps swear up and down they are legit -- they really don't know though because of the supply chain -- they don't test these themselves.

Just had a £4.12 bill from DHL for duty and tax. To use to buying from China :wink:
Flashlights are still an inexpensive hobby though (compared to horses).

This doesn’t tell me why only Cutter have them.

But this does. Thanks Tom.