3 volt XHP50.2

One of my Q8’s has asked for 3V XHP50’s, can’t refuse that.

haha, this is a good idea

Yeah, mine too, but I don't have the XM board . Think L4P is the only supplier of one?

Yes, that is the only one, I suspect that this 3V XHP50 makes him sell a few more these days :slight_smile:

Taped up the UTORCH C8F reflector and going to open up the wire channels in the back of it to clear the jumpers on the triple 3v XHP50.2 board. The reflector emitter holes look to be a perfect fit around the pads should center real nice on the them and will open up the channels enough that IF there is a little clearance ( reflector emitter holes to the emitter pads) I won’t short on the jumpers. Of course I will Kapton tape them any way because of the series pads that are exposed on the face of the board. Also the triple board needs to be filed/champhered a bit smaller on the diameter to fit the C8F shelf, I got it pretty close to seating now.

Wow! Love to see the amp meter reading on that C8F...

The Amutorch X9 is a way better fit though - XM triple now, 26650, hot driver, but I'll still try to fit or sandwich in a custom driver -- gotta take a better look.

My X9 from Neal is pictured here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/54707/13, comes with SST-40's

Got mine today. Grabbed 6 on 16mm noctigons. Thanks Cutter! I went DHL to the US and got them pretty quick.

Preliminary test yielded 13a (30Q fresh off the charger) at the tail in an s2+ host. I got 3770 turn-on lumens and 3024 at 30 seconds. Host got hotter than pretty much any light I own in that amount of time. 3024 was the reading the second before stepdown.

For comparison, I have a nearly identical s2+ with a warmer 4000k 50.2 in in, running a MTN BST driver. I get 2316 turn-on lumens and 1362 at 30s (thermal throttling of the driver itself)

So from my initial impressions, this is absolutely a hot rod LED if you DD it. I have a few linear l4p 12a drivers inbound and might try it with one of them too, to see what happens.

Now I need to measure current at the emitter. I just wanted to get one mounted up quick to see what would happen.

Nice!

13amps? What are you using to measure the amps with a DMM?

UT210E clamp on a 3” piece of 12gauge wire.

I take that back. Just tried a fresh(er) off the charger, new VTC5A (only 2 charging cycles on it) and got 17a.

The first current test was a 30q after I adjusted the a6 firmware to 5 modes and memory on, then shined the light around the room a little.

Just built a 21700 C8F 3v 50.2 Triple……in a word,STUPID!

Using the stock UTORCH C8F driver it’s pulling 23.8amps for 7036lms. on a 30T at 4.0v

Nice, awesome results guys. Keep us posted if you get any failures.

I want to put one (sliced) in a lightweight thrower like an olight M2X. It would make a nice compact high output thrower. Too bad there are no inexpensive hosts like that…

17amps is 70.2 territory WOW! Maybe your UT210E needs a new battery?

Wow, and with the stock C8F driver...

I just took apart my X9 w/SST-40's - driver is not so upgrade-able - 29 mm diam with the e-switch driver mounted and just 5 mm clearance above the driver in the pill. For me this is do-able with a sandwich driver on a thin 0.8 mm OSHPark 17 or 20 mm driver. The 20 mm driver has the advantage of a lower height MCU since you don't have to bend the pins. I could epoxy down the piggyback driver to keep a low profile - did this before. Or -- could use the stock driver - checked it and it's pure FET driven, uses our std resistors on the FET gate (100K to grnd, and 10 ohm inline instead of 47 ohm we use).

The stock light does 5440 lumens at start on a LK 26650 and 40 kcd, 15 amps at the tail (clamp meter), and with stock springs, but appear to be IOS's BeCu springs.

The Nightwatch IRA would be my pref for a single LED host - heftiest single LED, single cell host I've seen, plus with a very thick copper shelf built in.

For the 17A, that's expected, least for me. 4.25A per LED, should be ok.

17A sounds about right.

You might be thinking of 6 volt numbers. If a 6 volt 70.2 can pull 20 amps then the 3 volt version would be 40 amps. So 17 amps is well below the range of a 70.2.

I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or what, but a few of the 50.2 output tests seem to stop at 6 volts and 12 amps. So in theory you can get up to 24 amps at 3 volt on a single 50.2. You need massive cooling, though.

Oh, maybe this should be Sofirns next production light! :partying_face:

Yeah gotcha, been a long weekend and day….it all is clear…yet fuzzy…if you know what I mean…

Yeah it’s the stock UTORCH driver, 18awg driver spring bypass that is it…. was going to swap the FET to an Infineon…but why waste it, this light gets stupid hot fast…

Awesome Kawi! Which optic works?