3 volt XHP50.2

no, it has the same footprint but it is a bigger quad die led while the XM-L is a smaller single die led.

No. Xhp series is 4 emitters together. Xml is a single emitter.

Just fyi, below is a direct email quote from Mark R. from Cutter back in 2016 about unusual high bin XHP50's he had at the time. Their connection with CREE is great for us.

"Steve may want to chime in and confirm as he has been here and purchased non published bins from us on a fairly regular basis. The problem for Cree is they will often yield higher than published bins but only in non commercial qtys, they only officially release the bin once they can supply everybody, occasionally works in reverse, just has Cree drop a led 2 flux bins as they are having a yield issue".

The closest thing to an XM-L3 that I know of would be the SST-40 I think.

I’d personally prefer to call the 3V XHP50.2, the Cree XM-L2 EX.

Not everyone was so lucky:

Guess that was pretty bad at the time, not sure what happened there. MRsDNF (Steve) actually visits the Cutter store on occasion and talks to Mark directly. He should have been contacted about this, at least. The more of us that receive our 3V XHP50.2, the more we can find out how legit they are.

Here is a quick picture I labeled. (I think xpe2 is correct, not positive)

Notice how the xm-l has the same footprint, white base, as the xhp50? They will fit on the same mcpcb/star, but there is a big difference in the dies, the yellow part.

The xhp50 is made from 4 xpg2 dies, nominal 3v. Usually the 4 dies are wired in series/parallel for 6v or all in series for 12v. This new one has all 4 dies wired in parallel, so it’s a nominal 3v.

Note: 50.2, 70.2, xml2, xpg3 are just newer versions of the above leds, but are still the same basic size. Not exactly, but super close.

The footprints in the picture are 3.5mm (xpe2, xpg2 and xhp35 leds), 5mm (xm-l and xhp50) and 7mm (xhp70). Note that the xhp leds are named after their footprint size.

Sorry - but little more on this. I see that KB1428 did order some of these 3V XHP50.2's earlier in this thread and he is one of those that got burned with the XPL W2 2B's before. Also not sure how they could tell they were V6 1D's - guess they were labeled that way? I know how to verify an exact bin or tint is a problem for me - with some involved testing, I could probably tell the bin if I had good binned LED's to compare with, but a 1D vs. a 2B tint is more involved, but would be easier if I had known good comparable tints to compare with. I got supposed W2 bins from an Ali store that I tested as equal or less than V5 bin LED's and I recall only the Ali store sourcing were wrongly sold and labeled. Funny because the store owners/reps swear up and down they are legit -- they really don't know though because of the supply chain -- they don't test these themselves.

Just had a £4.12 bill from DHL for duty and tax. To use to buying from China :wink:
Flashlights are still an inexpensive hobby though (compared to horses).

This doesn’t tell me why only Cutter have them.

But this does. Thanks Tom.

I think it’s more like the XM-L4. :wink:

Is it possible to get on the EU groupbuy with 2 bare leds?

How fast does the heat gets up?

Can u do testing ?

If anyone has got leds from us that are not what we promote it is either an accident in shipping or the led does not meet the spec as promoted/spec’d by Cree, either way we are always happy to refund/replace if you feel you have been ‘done over’. You boys are notably frank, let me return the frankness. My time on this forum is directly proportional to the revenue I derive, hence I have not been on here much, between the freight moaners and the I got the bargain of the century, that quickly ends up in the fake awareness remorse section guys, I dont see it as a business model that makes sense. I luv you guys, I think this is one of the most innovative forums for leds on the planet, But Im down under, I cant ship a $1 led for nothing. Always happy to support a Group buy or other way to help you maintain the frugal platform. just saying
Cheers
Mark

I appreciate the frankness, Mark. We certainly are a frugal bunch!

While I haven’t had the fortune of doing business with you yet, I’ll say that I’ve heard nothing but good of you and of Cutter. It’s usually more of the “check out these awesome LEDs that Cutter has!”

Hi Mark! Yes, we are a fussy bunch and spoiled by the shipping rates we get from China and eastern Europe/Asia, for sure...

Just hope you can keep us informed of any new deals, and keep a supply on hand for us to buy bare.

They were not that hard to tell apart the W2 from the regular XPL’s (pic borrowed from DBCustoms)

The W2 2B on the left the Regular XPL on the right. Apparently a mistake was made….because they matched my Regular XPL’s I had on hand which is not too hard to see the difference in the emitters, it wasn’t worth the price to send them back, I let it go. But I never forget.

For those of you that want some I have them in stock now.
https://asflashlights.com/home/130-cree-xhp-70-n4-5700k.html

Those are bare LEDs. When I get back on Monday if there are any left I will reflow some to mcpcbs.

That’s great! I’ll have a reflowed emitter since I no longer have a decent workstation to do modding. Let’s hope there’s any left.