3 volt XHP50.2

Ahhh, interesting - not sure how that works... I thought of this after I posted :FACEPALM:

Ohh - if this is ANSI calibrated, these are impressive #'s because my single 3V XHP50.2 light didn't get as high but measured 19 amps. Maybe I got loss's in the tail because that light (C818) does have a tailswitch, spring bypassed though. Something for me to check now...

He's also got 18 AWG all around which is better.. He's got a great setup there...

Tom, can you really compare throw and output of the 3V SST-40 to the 3V 50.2? I mean, it won’t correlate directly… like the suggested 40% gain in throw from slicing the domes off the 50.2’s, die surface is a lot bigger in the 50.2 so it won’t be the same as the SST-40, domed or not. I would be very surprised if that kind of gain came into play.

Pure speculation. Thought we got a nice boost on slicing the XHP70.2's, not as good as the old XM-L2, XP-G2, or XPL of course.

Think'n we got 100% boost on the old LED's, and under 50% on the XHP class? Not sure.

The output on the meter is calibrated by Texas_Ace when he builds them. The light goes through 3 diffusers which both diffuses the light as well as reduces output. This gets the readings close, but he still has to tweak the amount of light getting to the sensor so it reads 1:1. No multipliers or math needed. :+1:

That's pretty cool! Funny, never read up on them. I can pretty much do the cal math in my head now

Link is in my sig.

still waiting on the DIY/BLF lux meter we are all going to adopt. You know one with cool charting options, ability to calibrate, etc.

Are you talking about a Lux Meter or integrating sphere?

Lux meter and/or spectrophotometer

I didn’t realize there was a demand for it. I know little to nothing about what devices are on the market. Sorry.

Getting a bit off topic, but this is BLF after all. I would compare it to your KSGER solder station. There are cheaper and more expensive options available but if you are willing to put in a little effort tinkering you may get a product with more value to enthusiasts at a more affordable price.

Presumably a purpose built device you could plug into your TA tube/homemade sphere (and get lumens output, without needing “manual” calibration with fine diffusion tweaks), measure CRI/CCT/DUV, measure throw and output already calculating kcd/Meters throw, do runtime and stepdown type measurements with a ceiling bounce and output nicely formatted CSV or whatever.

Someone else mentioned this possibility to me recently. I like the idea if it could be made to work.

On paper it sounds quite reasonable, an arduino seems like it could handle the electronics side of things. The tricky part is the schematic and the firmware to actually make it work.

Although can the cheap sensors also read CRI? I was not aware of that possibility.

I think the sensors are $10-30 depending on the range of spectrum you want (just “visible” being cheaper). I suppose as long as it was only made for ambient light it could be integrated for a “reasonable” amount.

Here’s a Arduino example:

Demo kits:

So I put one of these in 5400k in my H03 with a TA driver, I get 12.5 amps at the tail measuring with a short piece of 14awg and a clamp meter. How many lumens should that be then? Roughly?

Lots.

We’ll need an Amp/Lumens graph :slight_smile:

For sure!

I read a little back in this thread and someone said they had 13amps and between 3000-3700 lumens?

That's a range I would have guessed at.

The pebbled tir will cost a bit of output though vs reflectors.

A little but the beam improvements are WELL worth the trade off IMHO.