3rd batch produced!! GBGB: 2nd batch of BLF-348 (Classy and Small 1xAAA Stainless Steel light, with Nichia NVSW219B-V1 R9050)!

I ordered this a couple of days ago:
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_332443.html

It says it’s the non-engraved version, with gift box. All for $6.99. The price says good for another 9 days, and they claim to have 47 left in stock. But… then they also say “out of stock”. I’m not sure what’s going on. Same weirdness for the version without a gift box, but for $7.99. I’m not sure why they priced the gift box version less.

Well, that’s what I hope I get mailed to me. If I don’t get the gift box, that’s okay, but I do want a Nichia version. I’m building up a collection of these. :laughing:

After seeing nichia 219B in 4000K im sure nothing comes close to it in terms of tint/CRI period.

Just want to share a little story with you. Over on the ‘other’ forum, there was a thread about a high CRI clicky. Along the way, one person popped that he had dropped his BLF 348 on its head, and now it wouldn’t turn on. I know that I saw a discussion of how to disassemble one, and thought I remembered it here. I spent about an hour looking through the entries but didn’t find it. I did, however, read what one of ours shared about how he fixed his after dropping it on its tail. I passed that info on over there, and now I am a hero. He was able to apply some pressure to the switch with a pencil, and now the light works again. I guess that validates that the switch is just pressed into the tail cap, and only secured by friction. Moral of the story: Don’t Drop It.

Interesting. What is the fix? Just press hard into the switch?

Yeah, I don’t find the BLF-348 is a rugged light at all. You’re paying for the high-CRI tint, not a light that can survive any abuse. For a rugged light with an awful tint, something like the Fenix E01 is a good choice. (But it makes me :confounded: every time I look at its tint.)

Since it has a boost driver it shouldn’t be too hard to swap the sense resistor to a higher value to get lower output. Even the simplest 2 mode driver will likely require stacked boards and added length to both the pill and the host, not much, maybe 3-5 mm, but too much for it as is. I suppose shorter or no springs might generate the space needed but that seems a DIY+oshpark option.

That discussion occurred in a Review of the light by JohnnyMac rather than in this thread.

Thanks for the link. I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Has anyone tried that “quantum” stuff that’s supposed to change how much electricity it passes when compressed?
I saw mention that it could, maybe, produce a variable brightness in a single mode light.
Someone made a little flat ‘pill’ of that between two plastic donuts that would drop into a battery tube.
Memory fails as to anything more.

Seemed it’d be useful in this size light, if doable.

You mean just adding a resistor in the battery tube, to drop LED voltage and limit current? Sure, I guess that would work in a direct-driven light.

In a sense, yes. A few years ago several manufacturers offered lights that had a ‘quantum’ pill that changed resistance according to how tightly it was compressed.

i just ordered another :sunglasses:

Okay, I tried to Google “quantum pill”, but it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. :person_facepalming:

Oh, it’s been talked about already, I’ll go catch up.
It’s called “quantum tunneling composite” and this BLF thread is recent looking into the stuff:

These are still avaiable. Try Peak LED Solutions.

So i ordered one of these recently, received it last week, and the switch broke after just 2 days! … :person_facepalming:

I just got in four more at a total of $20 shipped from the “closeout” sale that GB had on them. I think they are great giveaway lights, and have been using them for that recently. It is a light that is great for someone that does not expect anything but light when the switch is clicked. A second mode would be cool, but for what it is, this light rocks in my opinion. It looks great too…

this is the first and one i bought of this nice looking light, and it broke already… so if they are sold out of them, i am still with out a single BLF 348 in my collection. :cry: i did send them a warranty ticket, but don;t know if they will reply or not.

They still have them it seems.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_332443.html

So you are not out of luck if the warranty ticket does not go through.

I think it was one of their flash sales, they just called it a clearance. For $4.84 each, I could not pass them up.

Looks like the non-BLF model. (without engraving) if they can just send me a new tail cap with switch i would be happy. ( i am unsure how these can be taken apart)

The switch can just be pushed out from the outside (back of the switch, where your finger goes). Just take the battery out and push with a pen or other rigid item on the switch to go forward. It will pop out into the body area. Conversely, try just pushing on the spring side to seat the switch further into the body until it doesnt click any more, then push down on it as above to set the “click” height, that may cure your issue.