4.80 AA light from Fast Tech

I see that this one still has the divot on the emitter shelf. I used a file, sandpaper, and rubbing compound to flatten that out...

Yeah, it is so much easier to work on the shelf when it is inverted like in this light so you don’t have to try and do all those things, down it to the head like in most lights.

But i think we get a little worse heatsinking when the head is in 2 pieces like this, maybe if we wrap the threads with some copper tape like how they wrap the P60 inserts to improve heatsinking.

Using a Trustfire Flame 900mah last night I got 55 minutes on high. It became hot, but nothing terrible. You could hold it without issue. One the low mode (which as noted is more of a high medium) I’ve gone 3 hours and 15 minutes so far. Had to turn it out as it was past my bedtime. On medium it really didn’t get warm at all. I’ll have to test further when I’ve got more time to see the full run time on the medium mode.

With the TF flame it was noticeably brighter than the GTL 14500. I have no way to compare actual lumens, but by eye the medium on the 14500 was at least as bright as the high on an Eneloop AA.

Thanks for the info...

thinking about ordering a few as well.. seem to be great lights for gifting!

I’ve received 2 of the Super Light, great for the price. Would be nice
if there was option for clicky instead of twisty.

I just saw the ThruNite T10, this light looks very similar & is probably a clone of it, check out Tom E’s :mod of the T10

Cool mods,this flashlight looks also a bit like Tank007 E19.

For the fun of it I have Sanyo 14500,XPG-2 warm white led and 3x7135 driver arriving someday in the future.The standard plastic reflector with XPE has OK beam,I hope the XPG-2 doesn’t change it too much.

Yeah you are right, that is very similar but with a clicky instead, i really hope the super light maker will do a clicky version also someday :slight_smile:

Because that Tank looks nice but is very expensive + Tank’s usually is glued a lot :frowning:

If the beam isn’t nice with the stock reflector + XP-G2 you can always drop in the fasttech optic someone foand in this thread :slight_smile:

That Fasttech optic really is a nice one.I have it in my XR-E light,it has measured 15 degree beam almost like aspheric ,with wide and dim spill.I also tested it with XML-2 and it was nice but very wide beam.

I was going to order an aluminum OP reflector to try but forgot it,and now the order is on it’s way.

Reviewing some actual run times:

Using a Trustfire Flame 900mah:

High - 55 minutes
Low - 3 hours 20 minutes

Purple GTL 1600mah (cheap Ebay battery):

High - less than 10 minutes
Low - 1 hour 15 minutes

As can readily be seen, the GTL is no where near 1600mah. I would have cut the capacity in half but looks more like it’s actually about a fourth i.e. less than 400mah. Pretty happy with the results of the TF Flame 900mah though. I will need to get a different brand of 14500 as a comparison. Looks to be very close to Serville’s Sanyo 14500.

I just ordered 4 Windyfire 14500 10A batteries from Windyfire.com i mailed them at sales@windyfire.com & asked for some cheap shipping.

Price for 4 including shipping to Sweden was $1.6*4(for the battery)$4.75(shipping to Sweden)$0.45(paypal handing fee)=$11.6

And if you read HKJ’s test these are much stronger than any other 14500 battery, if you don’t want to order from over seas, Richard from www.mtnelectronics.com will start selling these soon, he made a bulk buy yesterday :slight_smile:

That's quite cheap!! And seems to be pretty decent cells.

Oh, and you should also check out the other stuff they sell. But I'm not sure what the price is gonna be including shipping cost.

Yeah for 4 of not only descent but much stronger sells than anything on the market that is very cheap :bigsmile:
I can’t wait to get them so i can start to build my little maxed out Super Light :slight_smile:

Eneloop 1900mah AA

High - 1 hour 39 minutes (down to near firefly mode)
Low - 4 hours 30 minutes (dim but still useable. Shut off at this point)

Quite a difference in runtimes, With eneloops. Some said 55minutes, and your test shows 1:39..

Good to see how they perform with different batteries.

As far as a 17mm driver, if you wanted to retail the ability to use both AA and 14500, would you stick with the stock driver or are there alternative drivers you’d use? Perhaps something like this:

Nanjg 110 Boost Driver - 17mm - 1-2x AA, 1xCR123A, 1xLiFePo4

Other options welcome :slight_smile:

Also…

The silver metal tape really worked well. Thanks for that tip :slight_smile:

Nice breakdown shots and info. Thank you cajampa!

Thanks i am glad you liked it :slight_smile: