4.80 AA light from Fast Tech

I just ordered 4 Windyfire 14500 10A batteries from Windyfire.com i mailed them at sales@windyfire.com & asked for some cheap shipping.

Price for 4 including shipping to Sweden was $1.6*4(for the battery)$4.75(shipping to Sweden)$0.45(paypal handing fee)=$11.6

And if you read HKJ’s test these are much stronger than any other 14500 battery, if you don’t want to order from over seas, Richard from www.mtnelectronics.com will start selling these soon, he made a bulk buy yesterday :slight_smile:

That's quite cheap!! And seems to be pretty decent cells.

Oh, and you should also check out the other stuff they sell. But I'm not sure what the price is gonna be including shipping cost.

Yeah for 4 of not only descent but much stronger sells than anything on the market that is very cheap :bigsmile:
I can’t wait to get them so i can start to build my little maxed out Super Light :slight_smile:

Eneloop 1900mah AA

High - 1 hour 39 minutes (down to near firefly mode)
Low - 4 hours 30 minutes (dim but still useable. Shut off at this point)

Quite a difference in runtimes, With eneloops. Some said 55minutes, and your test shows 1:39..

Good to see how they perform with different batteries.

As far as a 17mm driver, if you wanted to retail the ability to use both AA and 14500, would you stick with the stock driver or are there alternative drivers you’d use? Perhaps something like this:

Nanjg 110 Boost Driver - 17mm - 1-2x AA, 1xCR123A, 1xLiFePo4

Other options welcome :slight_smile:

Also…

The silver metal tape really worked well. Thanks for that tip :slight_smile:

Nice breakdown shots and info. Thank you cajampa!

Thanks i am glad you liked it :slight_smile:

I received my two lights this week - one from fasttech and one from an ebay vendor. I’ve noticed a bit of difference:

- length - the fasttech one is 77.57 mm long excluding the button on the bottom end. The ebay version is 79.40 mm long excluding the button. The difference in the length is in the body area where the logos are. (measured with no battery, fully threaded in).

- amps - measured at the tail end of the battery - fasttech - 1.60 high and 0.45 low. Ebay version - 1.5 and 0.43.

- threads - no appreciable difference. Both are somewhat loose without a battery installed. With a battery in place they are better. It’s easy to turn them on and off with one hand and there might be a concern about them coming on in a pocket - not sure yet. I’ll try a bit of aluminium tape on one and see how it feels.

- dissembly - both heads came apart by hand (without tools) however both would only unthread for a couple of turns without locking up. Turning them back and forth a few times resulted in them coming fully apart. The ebay version was perhaps a little easier to get apart.

I compared the fasttech version to my fenix L1T last night after dark. The fenix has a bit more of a hot spot but the two lights were similar in their ability to light up the back yard - quite good.

So far I’d say they are a decent light considering the price.

John.

Thanks, interesting that your ebay version was unglued.

I ordered one more, i hope that one is like yours :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that my measurements of the amps for the light was with freshly charged nimh duracell ion core (2400 mah) cells.

Cajampa - hope you get a light that is easy to take apart.

I tried some aluminium tape in the threads of the ebay light and it didn’t work as the threads became too tight. A single layer of teflon plumber’s tape did result in firm threads. Not sure how long the teflon tape will last but it is easy to apply.

John.

John, in regards to the silver tape, mine was a tad stiff going on. But after taking the head off and on a couple of times it was fine. Sort of fitted the tape down into the threads. I can still do it one-handed but it does’t feel like it would twist on accidentally.

Deputydave

I was a bit concerned about cross threading so could have tried a bit more likely. The teflon tape seems ok anyway and I can always add a bit more if need be. One will be in my wife’s purse with a lithium primary so isn’t likely to be used much. The other I will play with but since I have a “few” other lights it’s not something I’m likely to use a lot.

Thanks,

John.

Nice thing about Teflon tape is that it is inexpensive and a little goes a long way :slight_smile:

Still have a bunch of it for when I repair my sprinklers or other plumbing tasks.

what size and where to buy?

I don't know and it was just a spare in my box o' parts. I think it was just a normal GITD O-Ring, and I cut a section to fit.

and what size of a standard plastic reflector?
This reflector does not fit? https://www.fasttech.com/products/1106200

The stock reflector is an odd size - 16mm x 11mm. If you can file that one down a bit you might be able to squeeze it in.

EDIT: I have just realised that I have that very reflector in another torch and it actually measured 17.5mm diameter. Looking at it I don’t think you would be able to get it down to 16mm as the front rim is very thin already.