4.80 AA light from Fast Tech

Thanks for checking Lancman :slight_smile:

I like to test different options in a build, so i had one in my fasttech shopping cart.

I got my second ebay super light, this one was unglued :slight_smile:

And i got my Windyfire 14500 10A batteries, they fit fine & are MUCH brighter than an Eneloop, so much that i am really sorry it is such a ugly blue tint in the stock one.

RMM has got them in stock now for all of you who live in the US :slight_smile:

When i tested it with 14500, i noticed that it didnā€™t go direct drive like most cheap boost driver go, i think i will test to use the stock driver first with an XP-L to see how i like it.

Unfortunately the stock driver has got that annoying strobe :frowning:

No problem. I was wondering if this reflector would be any good. Itā€™s the perfect diameter but a couple of mm short. If you were fitting a thicker copper star and/or a thicker O ring, that could make up the difference.

Good idea :slight_smile: I will test that one.

It should work if i use, maybe an extra 16mm sinkpad as a shim or a couple of aluminum stars.

I ordered flashlights on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/271717233060?\_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Now I want to order a battery, chose keeppower 800mah 2pcs keeppower p1450c 3.7v 800mah protected rechargeable 14500 li-ion battery Sale - Banggood.com-arrival notice-arrival notice
But they have the length of 52 mm!
They fit to the torch???

Sorry i donā€™t know if 52mm long protected 14500 fits, but my non protected Windyfire is 49.3mm and i calculate it is about 5mm of travel in the spring.

EDIT sorry it donā€™t work :frowning: i tested with a magnet so my battery got to 52.2mm and it didnā€™t work.

EDIT2 the longest i can get to work is 50.73mm with a smaller magnet.
I tried a bunch of different lengths and even without the spring, but higher than 50.73 it donā€™t work.

Yup.... If the tube doesn't thread in completely, it won't close the circuit and the light won't work... I don't have one of the lights on hand to verify, but IIRC, my Protected TrustFire cells are right at 50mm long and there is very little spring compression left when the tube is threaded in.

The answer is NO. I just added a 2mm magnet to the end of a Trustfire 14500 which made it exactly 52mm. Light would not come on.
Sorry. :frowning:

thank you very much for the information

And the diameter of those Keeppower 800mAh is ~14.6mm - therefore they donā€™t fit in some other AA lights either (e.g. Hugsby P31).

Cajampa did you ever try the stock driver with an XP-L?

Yes i tried it :slight_smile:

I used an XP-L V6 3A on sinkpad & the fasttech 11,5mm deep, 10 degree TIR

• i got my Windyfire 14500 10A batteries & it is running completely direct drive with some fat 18awg silicon wires i got from RMM.
    I changed the bottom spring to a IOS beryllium copper spring for a little extra amp :slight_smile: it isnā€™t a very good fit, so i will probably if i can find some, solder a copper post on the bat+ on the driver in the correct length for the Windyfire 14500.
    I havenā€™t done that to a twisty so i donā€™t know yet if it will impair the twisty function.

I plan to change this DD to a FET+7135 driver when i have gotten all the parts & lernt how to build them :slight_smile:

I sanded down the anodizing + some more to make the shelf completely flat & used a aluminum shim thick as a cheap aluminum star + a sinkpad for the led to get it to the correct height so the head is pressing down the star+shim in to the shelf.
The shim i got from the ā€œturdrayā€ i got from the Zeusray debacle, when they sent out a bad batch, i am just glad i can do something fun with the scrap pieces :slight_smile:

First i tried the stock driver, but that limited the output way to much + the 18awg wouldnā€™t fit because the driver area is very limited.
So i stripped the stock driver & drilled a hole for the negative & positive led 18awg led wires & soldered an nice little bump on the battery side that i filed flat & smooth.

And it is of course very bright & very hot :smiley: just how i like it :wink:

As i said i plan to upgrade it to a fet+7135 driver so it is more usable, it gets hot enough that i canā€™t heatsink away the heat with my hand after awhile.

+ i got that kaidomain reflector today, and it looks very nice. I havenā€™t tested it in a fully assembled working light yet, because i need to raise it up a bit or raise the star itself, so it still presses down on the star. But i think i am going to like it better than the TIR :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update cajampa! Iā€™ve got 5 of these little lights that I plan to mod once all the parts arrive. I am going to try the 2 mode direct drive driver from fasttech with an XP-L and XM-L.
I was just curious what the stock driver would do with better leads and better LED. I also have xp-g2 and XT-E emitters that Iā€™m going to try.
Let us know how the Kaidomain reflector works out. I have the TIR on order as well but donā€™t know how I will like it so ill prob be looking for a better reflector.

Wanted to offer a bit of an update. :slight_smile:

I ordered five of the Super Lights off Ebay for the $2.99 each.

Iā€™ve got them on car keychain, work keychain and my son has one on his key chain. A couple of the little crab claw clasps have broken so perhaps theyā€™re not of the highest quality. However, the light itself seems to be a workhorse! The one on my work keychain is in and out of my pocket all day long as I use my elevator key and key fobs. The car keychain gets tossed around and plopped down daily as well. So far no issues at all. I check them (as I do all my lights) periodically and am well pleased. For a penny less than $3 I figure itā€™s a pretty darn good little light. The metal foil that was suggested above for the threads continues to work well also.

Iā€™ve been using an Eneloop AA in all of them. I may start to use a 14500 in one on a regular basis just to test that out over the long term.

So far, happy camper :smiley:

That parallels my experience, Dave. For the price they do well and can be carried in the pocket.
Jerry

Hi,

How does does this light campare to the old beater Hugsby p2?

Iā€™ve never had the Hugsby P2, so I took a look at one on Aliexpress. Initial impression of the P2 is that it looks beefier, perhaps along the lines of the SK68 in size/weight? Looks like it would take some abuse and keep going. The Super Light looks thinner overall than the P2. But so far it is holding up well. As I mentioned above, I have one on my car key chain and my work keychain. Both get used daily. I carry a Kubaton as well on my car keychain so normally that rides in my pocket and the keys/Super Light are hanging outside my pocket. So it gets bounced around a bit, tossed on the table when I come home etc. And so far itā€™s still working without issue. I have an Eneloop AA in one and a Trustfire Flame 14500 in the other to do a bit of unscientific/real world testing. So far the only issues Iā€™ve had are that the little crab claws arenā€™t very strong and tend to break. Not a big issue really though, I simply put a key ring through the tail cap hole and use it that way. So for a $3 light I really canā€™t complain so far.

:slight_smile:

I notice that ebay has some of these lights at a 1000 lumens now! :bigsmile:

Got two of these lights from ebay because of this thread. My favorite cheap 1aa. Everyoneā€™s still holding up? Will order more if these hold up.

Mine are still going like a champ. :slight_smile:

Mine as well!