680 Meter Beam Shots - Picture Heavy

There was a power outage again in where I lived and I saw an opportunity to test my dedomed BTU Shocker and compare it with my other dedomed throwers. Also, I just started getting the lux readings of my lights and this would be the right time to validate their computed throw distances.

In a hill to the North of the housing village I’m living are two communication towers which cannot be seen at night no matter how strong my flashlight is because of the street light located between the towers and my home. Here are the two towers. The one in the left is covered from my view by trees while the one at the right, which according to Google Earth is 680 meters away, can be seen clearly:

I only took beam shots of my flashlights that have at least 90 KCD on my measurements. Only five of my flashlights exceeded the 90 KCD mark so here they are:

Jacob A60, XR-E Q5 stock - 91,171 CD measured at 11 meters:

Police CY-T91, XM-L U2 dedomed on copper star, resistor +2xR500 - 118,556 CD at 11 meters:

Small Sun ZY-T08, XM-L2 T6 1B dedomed with copper heatsink, direct-wire - 208,391 CD at 11 meters:

Sup Beam K40, XM-L2 T6 1B dedomed, direct-wire - 251,806 CD at 11 meters:

BTU Shocker, 3x XM-L2 T6 1B dedomed on copper star - 409,101 CD at 11 meters:

To give justice to my other throwers that I dedomed too and which cannot touch 600 meters, I took another set of beam shots on a tree 95 meters from my location:

4Sevens Maelstrom X10, XM-L stock - 41,912 CD at 11 meters:

UltraFire PM-8099, XR-E Zoomie, 612 driver - 48,257 CD at 11 meters:

Unbranded Zoomie from Ebay, XM-L dedomed on copper star - 67,460 CD at 11 meters:

Convoy C8, XM-L U2 dedomed, 12x7135 - 67,961 CD at 11 meters:

Jacob A60, XR-E Q5 stock - 91,171 CD measured at 11 meters:

Police CY-T91, XM-L U2 dedomed on copper star, resistor +2xR500 - 118,556 CD at 11 meters:

Small Sun ZY-T08, XM-L2 T6 1B dedomed with copper heatsink, direct-wire - 208,391 CD at 11 meters:

Sup Beam K40, XM-L2 T6 1B dedomed, direct-wire - 251,806 CD at 11 meters:

BTU Shocker, 3x XM-L2 T6 1B dedomed on copper star - 409,101 CD at 11 meters:

Here are my three strongest throwers posing for posterity. :bigsmile:

That’s all for now. I’m constantly finding ways to increase the outputs of my lights so I’ll be posting more beam shots when I have significant changes done. :slight_smile:

Impressive! Thanks for the nice beam shots!

Thanx sesgum! :slight_smile: Glad that you liked it.

Wow. Nice lights and nice beam shots. Thank you very much. Your BTU is a total beast.

Thanks for the great beamshots!!! :wink:

That BTU Shocker is badass!

The shocker is really really BAD! 8)

Nice collection of throwers you got there Nightbird95!

Nice beamshots too, easy to see the difference in both spill and throw at the same time.

You got some sick lights, especially that BTU! ;)

Thanks for seizing that great opportunity and posting those beamshots! I’ll echo others about your BTU… Very impressive!

Nice photos!

This is really hard job you did. I appreciate that.

Taking steady photos - resizing - uploading - describing… Hell of a job. You should be paid for that :slight_smile:

I don’t want do denial your lux readings but I really doubt they are correct. I would deduct 20%(and more) from your readings since I measured more than 20 stock Jacobs from different suppliers and they had lux readings from 45KCD to 65KCD which depended on XRE emitter inside(EZ1000 & EZ900), and tailcap readings(from 2,1 to 2,4amp). But anyway that BTU look bright as hell!

I have TES 1335 light meter and it is pretty expensive. Measures very correct. Some of my friends ordered Fandyfires and zoomies from OSTS shop and my meter had similar readings as Saablusters so I can assume my readings are real.

Thanx ImA4Wheelr. I did not expect that a BTU can throw farther than a K40. But then again my K40 is not performing well. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome nkr. Glad you liked them.

Thanx ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS. Yes it is a badass. :slight_smile:

Yes. It beats the hell out of all my other lights.

Thank you Torger. Glad you like them. You’re one of the people who encouraged me to do flashlight modding. :slight_smile:

Thanx photon1k. I think this BTU can still be improved since I’n not done all mods on it yet. :slight_smile:

Thank you luminarium iaculator!

Yes my readings and computations may not be correct as I’m still learning to do lux readings and my lux meter is only entry level. I think the only way I can calibrate it perfectly is to get the reading of one light on an accurate lux meter then compare it with what I have. Currently there’s nothing much I can do with my set-up yet but rely on my HS-1010. :slight_smile:

It’s not really that hard to do these beam shots because I love and enjoy doing it. Like most flashaholics, you won’t mind all the hardships if you have passion. :wink:

Thanks very much for the efforts you put in getting these unreal beam shots for us.
Everytime I see a modded BTU it makes me want one, but I don’t know how to mod :frowning:

You’re welcome lionheart_2281! :slight_smile:

I have no prior experience in flashlight modding either. I learned everything about flashlights here in BLF - thanx to our local experts who are more than willing to share their knowledge. :wink:

Two threads by TomE became my guide in modding this BTU:
BTU Shocker Mod - XM-L2 U2's/SinkPAD's and I'm shocked by this Shocker... (de-domed now, more info)

Of course I asked a LOT of questions before I got it right (I think). :bigsmile:

Wow, nice thrower collection and great beamshots! Isn't that Shocker totally blinding? I measured my mod at 426 kcd at 4.3 meters, so I think it's actually higher, but I used XM-L2 U2 1A's from IOS. I think if a bird flew by into that beam it would be temporarily stunned and drop like a rock Smile. Shame it's such a pencil beam, otherwise it might be a useful light!

I'm having the same problem with my K40, measuring 308 kcd and 1,150 lumens. Still need to trouble-shoot it, but another TN31 XM-L2 arrived in the mail today, so, more tinkering to do, and I think when I pull that emitter/star and de-dome it, I'll try it in the K40 first to see if my K40 emitter/star is the culprit. May be a week or 2 before I get to it... Tell you the truth though, it's sounding like you and I have the same problem (mine is resistor bridged), so wonder if there's something else goin on with the driver we don't know about. I'm getting decent amps to the LED of 5.6A measured, but didn't check voltage.