8th Old Lumens Challenge is CLOSED !!!

Hmm... changing course during a build is not so strange but doing a major redesign after the build is finished is a little unusual. Off the top of my head I don't recall seeing that before. But that doesn't mean it cannot be done. Providing you use at least some small parts (or one large part...?) then effectively its just a very late change to a handmade light. Have at it :-)

Now Iā€™m feeling like a slacker !

You're a slacker no more, Rdubya18 :-) Welcome to the comp

Between deer season and the holidays, I know the end of November and December will disappear fast. So Iā€™m trying to crank through mine quickly. Hopefully I can get this near completion in the next few days.

• Sat Nov 14: conceptual design established
  • Sun Nov 15: materials assembled and rough testing
  • Mon Nov 16 (so far): firmware tweaks

Alsoā€¦ bump! The more the merrier in this. Letā€™s keep the tradition going. It doesnā€™t have to be overly complicated. Heck, make a portable potato light or something (a potato counts as a battery, right?). You guys (and gals) can do this!

I have been working so many hours havent had time to even mow my lawn. Another week or 2 the hours should drop back a bit and I will have some time.

Come on guys! About a month left!

I just completed my build :smiley:

Boogered mine up ā€œ fixing it ā€œ As soon as new driver arrives , Iā€™ll be back on it .

gchart , congrats ! Your build came out nice .

Ok, Iā€™m gonna join as a last minute one, and itā€™s kinda part made now - I just need some advice as to what cat to put it in lol.
It was an old broken penlight. I have harvested a reflector, switch and driver from it. the rest is binned.
I have (not going to lie) used my lathe a tiny bit, but it isnā€™t machining - more harvesting threads from plumbing fitting as i canā€™t turn threads.
Most of it is hand made though lol!
Which cat to put it in ? :person_facepalming: (I presume machine made as I lightly used the lathe?) Iā€™ll leave it to PP lol!

Great to have you aboard G0OSE. Iā€™ve put your build in the Machined category as you suspected. The bright side of that is if you need to touch up the lathe again ā€¦ā€¦

Nah, I have trying my best to avoid using it, I initially started off entirely by hand just some stuff was proving impossible by hand, like drilling out the 1/4ā€ nipples to 10.5mm to allow an aaa through, to say there was a hair width left between doing it and ruining the threads is an understatement - so it had to go on the lathe as any run out was catastrophicā€¦ā€¦. :person_facepalming:
I will do a couple of reducing bits on the lathe, but the finish I think will be by hand.
As son as my ammonia arrives Iā€™ll be testing further on patinaā€™s.

A drill press is listed as one of the accepted electrical tools in hand made category. . It doesn't specify how you use the tool(s) . So if you rig up a part and use it as a lathe of sorts ( Old-Lumens style ;) ) then that's fine.

Well, this is my entryā€¦for a bump in this thread :smiley:
Unfortunately my ideas so far a pretty much as my materials to do something worth of an entry, soā€¦I leave you this inspiration :wink:

Now thatā€™s a cool light ! Wish I understood the circuitry like that .

Dang, he made that look way too easy

I hereby present my entry for this yearā€™s Old Lumens Contest in the Hand Made Category:

Letā€™s see how this goes :smiley:

Woohoo another entry to the OL-comp. I will update OP when Iā€™m a little more sober

I have an inconsistency in my project: I was going to use an aluminium pill, which is not permitted according to the rules.

Therefore, my entry will not be valid for the hand made category!

Please, do noā€™t add it there. Actually, given that it is a ā€œcentralā€ part of my build, please do not consider my entry as I donā€™t have a different way to do it :zipper_mouth_face:

Sorry for the ā€œfalse alarmā€ entry :zipper_mouth_face:

Oh no, I was excited to see your build take shape, MascaratumB! I hope another idea strikes you.

Dam! Thatā€™s just disappointing and I havenā€™t even sobered up yet :cry: Can I put it in another category?

If nothing else, it could go in the Mod category, right? Certainly better than not entering at all.