AA Fans: New C88 XML @ Intl O

Thanks. If i used 3 Eneloops, will they provide 3.5A? I heard they discharge at a higher amperage.

They can provide 3.5 for a short time, but not in the stock C-88 battery holder. I modded a 3AA battery holder to deliver 3.5 amps, but the Eneloops sag really fast.

I use 3xAA Eneloops in my C88 w/ XM-L, and I'm not pulling full amperage out of my 2.8 amp driver. Never considered putting my 26650 in there, sweet!

This is a crazy deal. Looking at the pictures, this is some quality work! The centering ring for the XM-L, does that actually have a square center? That's awesome.

Those who are asking for a group buy at $30 - stop ;) This is worth all of the $45 and then some.

Anyone order/receive one of these lights? I want to know if this is "The" light......you know, the "one and only".

I want a light that can throw a good beam for 75m. I want to be able to see some/one/thing well in a bright hot spot and I like that I can use AA's and, if I slide deeper into the insanity, 26650's if I want. The icing on the cake is E1320s' offer to produce what sounds like the perfect mod.

Please share any more info on this light if you have it.

Thanks from an FNG

I wonder if someone with UltraFire C88 and XM-L mod could post some far distance beamshots and comment how far does it throw?

I cant decide between 3xAA C88 or its alikes and Fenix/JetBeam 4xAA offerings, which is brigher, throws further etc.

The Fenix TK41 is over $100 bucks and you are stuck with AAs only for over twice the price.

According to this review the Jetbeam PA40 only puts out 469 lumens on turbo and you are limited to AA batteries.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319474

The C-88 is $30 dollars cheaper puts out an honest 900 Lumens and runs on AA, 18650 or 26650.

I can light up passing trains at over 1500feet from my house no other light I have even comes close to doing this.

Foy had beam shots in this review.

Here is a comparison of the C88 to the 980L

MCU-88 XML vs 980L XML

To use an 18650 simple add a couple grommets to it.

Here is the modded AA holder, simply add some heavier springs and some solder.

The modded AA holder pulling 3.24 amps with 3 AA Duraloops

By all means if you want to blow a hundred bucks on light so you can brag about it over at CPF get the Fenix. If you want a really high quality multi battery thrower that will hold it's own against any single XML light at any price get the C-88.

E1320,

i was under the impression i wont get 3.5A with Eneloops?

i think he's added chips to his driver

I have both the fenix ld40 which is the same light as the jetbeam except it comes with a 4AA xpg r4 4b neutral .

and my mcu c-88 is modded with an xpg r4 4b neutral too

Both are great lights and thanks to Dino deals i got the fenix for 38$..instead of 65$?? since i was like most of you all unable to find another c-88(a light so nice you want to buy it twice).

I have to say in the xpg and at the same price they are almost a toss up with the nod going to the c-88 for a few reasons .#1 it has more future moddability #2 it has more heft and mass .it just feels better .#3 bigger and deeper reflector makes for a hotspot that is half the size of the fenix/jetbeam so much more throw.#4 a sweet thick stainless steel bezel and a big silly glowinthedark o ring #5 doesn't exist because the fenix is a great light and derserves it's own respect the beam is flawless and comes with a super holster and is overall quite worth all admiration.

I'm 100% with jonnyC asking for some unattainable price may serve as an excuse not to buy it untill it reaches "your price "..if you want to play that game then you deserve to miss this great light .

The original light was 28$ a driver is 5$ minimum and a emitter 10$ solder,flux,heat sink paste ,time effort and energy ..28+15=43$ i'd pay someone 2$ to swap emitter and driver for me all day long .. Would i prefer the host for 20 ? you bet ......but most members can't or don't mod lights at all.

Spend the 2$

i've said this before about this light... and I'll repeat it here

- No one who ever buys this light ....doesn't like it -

I think the light is great as it is, although I would kind of prefer to install a U2 emitter and beefed up driver.

EDIT: I corrected my ignorant mistake

.... If you want a really high quality multi battery thrower that will hold it's own against any single XML light at any price get the C-88.......

Done...!!!!

I think I should have waited and bought this before my previous TK41...

Umm . . . it is a U2 (unless you opt for neutral white). It’s also using the well liked Nangj 2.8A driver which you could piggyback extra chips onto rather easily.

-Garry

oops, I'm still thinking of the old C88 that some users were modding with a T6. I already knew this has a U2 and completely spaced! Maybe I meant a U3!!!

So this uses the programmable driver? I'm looking for a two-mode setup, which would be 100%/35% if that's the driver it's using (I can't keep track which does what).

105C I have has the Two-Mode at 100% - 10%.

This has the 105C? That means I only get 100% and 10% ?

I was hoping for something like the KD 8x7135 V2 driver that does more of a High/Med. It might just be easier for me to swap drivers if I want those modes since I'd have to acquire chips anyway.

AFAIK, you can change the modes by de-soldering the star connection and re-soldering to the star of your choice.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure of the draw percentage (e.g. 100%/35% or 100%/10%). I'm hoping for a low-medium as opposed to a traditional low. I think the 35% might work well. I don't mind the $4.79 driver cost if that's what it takes.

I'm still buggin' Ric about multi-AA/26650 lights. I think he must be on vacation because he hasn't signed on in a while and I'm getting email replies from names I've never heard of before, haha. Oh no.. now there's gonna be rumors on BLF that Ric abandoned CNQG

First I want to say thank you for all the feedback from the cognoscenti. I only have one XML (4/7 AAX2) and would appreciate some advice on which of the two emitter options you recommend. The U2 or NW?

Thanks again.

Thanks Ricardo .

Learned a new word tonight .

I say go for the neutral .

Better colors .