Acebeam K70 & K50 V3

boy that’s a real kick in the pants there… i’ve got one on a slow-boat, i hope this isn’t a thing…

Yeah man kinda bumming, Friday and all. But it ($*#@!) happens. I’m really impressed with it otherwise, diggin the finish, and the ring, super sweet! I have 5-6 Acebeam/Supbeam and this one is the nicest one by far!! It just don’t work……… :smiley: Shipping was super fast to the states BUT it sat 7 days in Chicago too???

Check your battery carrier, mine is working flawless after a good cleaning, try changing the head with the body and battery carrier of a K60 if you have one

from my blog: https://m4dm4x.com/2016/04/16/it-was-night-but-not-all-the-time/

Hey!

Yesterday i made some pictures of a tower (distance: 650m)
settings of my Huawei P8: ISO400 / 1 Sec - unfortunately overexposed

control shot of a 60m high
nitecore TM16GT
acebeam K60
acebeam K70 (awesome amount of light at the tower!)

conditions have also not been good (moist) and i srewed the 100 and 1300m shots (different exposure times)

animated .gif

but i can tell you:

at 1000m the K60 could not light up the tower
and at 1250m the K70 still illuminates him

an awesome flashlight without question!

Thanks, I’m surprised the K70 looks so much more focused than the TM16GT.

Got my K70 yesterday, it was a pleasant surprise because according to the tracking it was still in China. A monster thrower for sure, but sadly same whining noise on the highest mode other users have reported. It’s hard to locate from exactly where this noise is coming from, but it does sounds to me it comes from the driver. The tint is also considerably cooler in the 6th mode vs 5th mode, but not blue enough to worry about the LED being pushed too hard.

Tried to clean the contacts without disassembling the holder but it didn’t fix anything. So I grabbed the torx driver and:

Dissasembled… The 4 contact points on the back of each board is ground, the middle one is +ve. and they are flat. Notice the typo in the carrier it says “Serice R02” which should’ve been “Service R02” as correctly printed in the tail pcb.

Contact points on the pcb being flat it probably did not allow them to make the best contact with the brass cover (flat as well), so I added some solder on them. This left a tiny bit of gap maybe 0.3mm between the pcb and the brass disk. Also reflowed the springs and tops with extra solder.

Charging up my cells right now, will report back soon.

Edit: batteries measuring 16.7V in the carrier and nope, still the same whine noise.

I took apart the tailcap to check if anything is loose or badly soldered, but it all seemed fine. It has 2 FETs and some resistors, I think this is just some kind of reverse & low voltage protection circuit, because the switch doesn’t do anything when not connected to the power, tried with 2 cells still nothing, but with 4 cells it works. Resistance is near zero and the spring are almost pushed to flat when everything is tightened, so it’s not a matter of high resistance. Testing the light with the tailcap open I can confirm the whine is definitely NOT coming from this board. The battery carrier can’t generate any noise, so it has to be the driver.

Anyone know what else I can try? Oh and while I had the tailcap open, I took amp reading at 2.85A, not sure if this is good news because I think that’s a bit too high.

My K70 initial light whining noise gone after a few times I switched on the flashlight for > 2 minutes.
However one bad news is, the K70 is now having a lower level 6 brightness than before.

(My test is from the ceiling bounds, it has dropped from 171 to 160 lux at starting time, for the exactly the same test. This was verified with my other flashlights. )
K70 shows 160 lux at 2000 lm ???

TK61 shows 78 lux at 1000 lm
K60 shows 375 lux at 5000 lm
Meteor M43 (S4) shows 544 lux at 7450 lm.

Because emitter is pushed too hard? Since Will34 mentioned that the tint at 6th level is cooler.

In order to achieve the same 400kcd+ performance Acebeam can actually slightly enlarge the reflector and head diameter and lower the LED current by a little, this way the light could be more reliable while not being too large also.

Mine works correctly, doesn’t whine, and I didn’t clean anything just added batteries and made light.

I received another K70 yesterday.
This time everything are alright, EXCEPT:
There was SMOKE coming out from the emitter at Level 6 after approx. 20 seconds of switching on. This made the reflector chamber turn FOGGY.

For this I have contacted ACEBEAM, and will see how it goes then….

where did you buy from ?

good question

These problem reports from the field are making me somewhat nervous since I’ve got a K70 in transit! It sounds like Acebeam has gone a bit too aggressive with over-driving the XHP35 in these lights.

to reiterate, mine appears to work fine; no humming, no smoking, no blue on level 6, i did no cleaning, i got it from the

and the first thing i did with mine is run out and put in on turbo till it was quite warm

Yes, probably too small a sample group to draw any definitive conclusions but just reading through the thread seems like more with than without problems so far. I still standby the concern about how much they are over-driving this light though. Depending on bin I believe XHP-35 HI is spec’ed at around 1300 lumen at maximum rated current… Acebeam is getting 2x the output, so that’s some serious over-driving. Probably viable as long as everything is done perfectly to get the heat away from the LED, but I can see serious problems if anything is slightly off in the thermal path.

Exactly what I thought.

I’ve owned a K50 before and it has some issues with it, that sometimes the light couldn’t turn on and my batteries can be drained empty even though I never switched on the light for like 1 month. Acebeam does come out with some really interesting lights and ideas, and this K70 is certainly one of them. But I personally still prefer better reliability in these expensive lights.

Funny thing, a fellow hunter contacted me today complaining about the same loud whining problem on K70 (wasn’t even aware he ordered one) immediately remembered this thread.
Although I insisted there is nothing I could do about it he is shipping it to me! Any sugestions? Potting the driver!

i am lucky with mine…

but my own experiments with the XHP35 indicate, that 2,5 A need a good cooling !
any mistake when the Light is assembled might cause it to fail i can imagine…

i would like to see some lights with the MCPCB dismounted (flatness / amount of thermal paste / dimple? )

My oh my…. My second K70 is now suffering from smoking as well :weary:

The first K70 in the video was not creating smoke initially, but after keeping in the store room for about 3 weeks, now it also suffered from smoking at max output. The second piece in the video shows “already smoke filled chamber” (switched on > 1 minutes at max output prior to this video shooting). Both the reflector chambers are now foggy!

Will change the emitters and base plates with Arctic thermal paste in the near future, one with 5000k and another with 6500k…… when really have time. LOL…. :cry:

I didn’t see the smoke in that video…