Aggressive knurling

Phlogiston, have you actually tried an S41/S42S tube on a BLF A6?

Yes, I have, and it did work. More details on your other thread:

Thanks!

Gnarly! Ouch!

I’d like to see more lights constructed with “full body” knurling, like this one:

Solarforce L2X

Another one from way in the past with great looking pineapple knurling!

Discontinued but they’re may be still a few available.
ThruNite Catapult V5

Photo from a 2014 review here:

OMG, I really want to thank you right now!!… I actually have one of these from years ago and totally forgot I had it until just now when I read your post!

Mine is the 2x cell version, just the tube with a different tail and head. The head is some type of Surefire head I believe, (M something?) I’m not sure what it is or what kind of drop-in it takes, but I think it’s for a Xenon bulb.

Years ago I came across some photos of an L2X and decided I wanted one real bad, but they were long discontinued, I didn’t really care for the matching head and wanted to build a light based on the 2x tube, I searched high and low for months and finally got one. It was actually someone here on BLF who tipped me off there was one for sale on CPF and I managed to snag it. I planned to sell the Surefire head and change to an L2T head and get a drop-in but never got around to it as other new lights went to the front of the line. So it’s been buried in a box of forgotten flashlight stuff for years until I read your post tonight, I just went and dug it out! So now I’m stoked!

Here’s some photos of it, now I need to get this thing built!

Unknown model of Surefire head:

OMG, I really want to thank you right now!!… I actually have one of these from years ago and totally forgot I had it until just now when I read your post!

Mine is the 2x cell version, just the tube with a different tail and head. The head is some type of Surefire head I believe, (M something?) I’m not sure what it is or what kind of drop-in it takes, but I think it’s for a Xenon bulb.

Years ago I came across some photos of an L2X and decided I wanted one real bad, but they were long discontinued, I didn’t really care for the matching head and wanted to build a light based on the 2x tube, I searched high and low for months and finally got one. It was actually someone here on BLF who tipped me off there was one for sale on CPF and I managed to snag it. I planned to sell the Surefire head and change to an L2T head and get a drop-in but never got around to it as other new lights went to the front of the line. So it’s been buried in a box of forgotten flashlight stuff for years until I read your post tonight, I just went and dug it out! So now I’m stoked!

Here’s some photos of it, now I need to get this thing built!

Unknown model of Surefire head:

Video from the Foy review you linked:

LOL when I saw the steak at 2:20 :smiley:

There is another L2X on Ebay right now, $151, A001 head and 2x 18650 tube. link

That’s a Surefire Z32 head….https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-Z32-Shock-Isolated-Bezel-BKHA-Color/162948838404?hash=item25f081f404:g:2akAAOSwd8FamUhw

Other Solarforces with nice knurling. L2X’s at 2, 7, and 16 counting from left. Skyline II’s at 4, 5, and 6. Skyline I’s at 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12.

I still want one of them skyline IIs

Yep, I remember, kind of brushed you off last time, thing is I never wanted to sell one. If I ever do I will be sure you get one.

The Manker MK35 has very little actual knurling, but the light is very grippy due to sharp edged deep cut outs on the battery tube and widely spaced cooling fins near the switch. The only light that has ever slipped out of my hand was an Eagtac. Luckily it landed safely on a grassy surface without a scratch. If my MX30L4Cvn and 6XPvn were not such special performers the lack of “grippiness”, much less (eagle)TACTICAL grippiness, would make them undesirable to me.

It’s ok. I don’t really need one, it’ll rlprobably end up sitting like all the other lights I need to mod lol

Is knurling really aggressive if it’s not being used for aggression?

Olight SR-50 (2010)

It looks more agressive than it actually feels in the hand though.

Interesting, that is exactly the configuration a saw in a photo years ago that made me want to build a 2-cell L2X with a different head and tail. For a long time I tried unsuccessfully to find an A001 head and finally gave up looking.

I’ll bet that Lux-RC 334 light engine was expensive, Lux-RC flashlights are “Sci-fi” looking, I guess they’re custom “one-off” pieces, all sold though! :slight_smile:

Originally I was thinking of putting a triple in mine too, one of the Sportac’s. Now I’m considering one of these XP-L2 Drop-in:

NW-5000K: http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S027568.KDLITKER-P6-XPL2HD-Cree-XP-L2-HD-NW-5000K-1100-Lumens-3V-9V-2-Groups-of-3-to-5-Mode-SMO-P60-Drop-in
WW-3000K: http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S027570.KDLITKER-P6-XPL2HD-Cree-XP-L2-HD-WW-3000K-1100-Lumens-3V-9V-2-Groups-of-3-to-5-Mode-SMO-P60-Drop-in

Thanks for ID’ing that head! :+1: I couldn’t find it.

I wonder if mine’s genuine SureFire, or were there clones of these? I don’t think they had any printing on it other than “Caution Hot Surface”
Mine has the glossy finish like this one: SUREFIRE(シュアファイア)Z32 SHOCKPROOF BEZEL ショックプルーフ ベゼル 激安特価販売:アカリセンター