ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

real para3 with ball bearing and micarta doesn’t exist
and i bought it from aliexpress

so yes, there is no chance that it is a real one :grinning:
that said, material, assembly and handling are nice on that one

Do you have a link??

nope
from time to time aliex make some clean up with fake knife
people looks happy with ok knives, but their paiement methode is a bit blury at the age of paypal

I can’t believe someone is trying to sell this knife for this price…
Look at that blade! :grinning:

Looks like they tried to use it as a pry bar on more than one occasion. That poor, poor blade.

1 Thank

Yep, and I won’t buy a knife even if just the tip of the blade is broken off.
I will buy used knives, but they have to be in pretty darn good condition. :+1:

A bit of an (old update) on purchasing the SOG Sideswipe, bought from ‘Knives and Tools’, but it indeed (as I expected) seemed that they had priced the SOG Sideswipe (way) too cheap. (Which made me decide to buy a second one for that price (€ 13,99) a couple of weeks later.)

Recently I thought: “let’s see if it’s still so cheap!”, so I checked their website and they (finally) figured out that they were selling this knive way too cheap.
Where I bought (2 of them) for € 13,99 each, they know ask € 84,95 for this knive! (Which means I got a “discount” of roughly 83% compared to their current price!)

I was already quite happy with this knive, but knowing that I managed to get both of them for this low price, only makes me like them even more!

1 Thank

Sounds like you got a great deal. I didn’t know anything about that knife so, of course I had to look it up. The steel is adequate for a budget folder. I am not a fan of assisted knives but it seems like a good deal. $40 USD around here. If I saw them at 13.99 which is what, about 16 US. I would have bought em up.

1 Thank

Kizer and Civivi are running their annual knife sales. Some seriously good deals to be had on some models.

As the question often comes up for the simple knife collector, “do I need another knife,” I resisted buying a few candidates I’d seen shown off over on Reddit. These days, I tend to enjoy getting weird knives that have features making it easy for safe carry (no laws broken). Enter the Kizer Walnut.

This is a slip-joint knife (no locking feature). And at first glance, it looks like some sort of weird money-clip. But it IS a knife. And a pretty workable one, for basic cutting tasks (like opening boxes). I managed to get a better deal off of an eBay seller ($27.50 USD, free shipping) than from the Kizer site.

Supposedly some good fidget factor. I tend to avoid N690 steel if other types like D2 are available, but this one has N690. The steel quality seems to be really decent, judging from reviews that have been made. I believe the Walnut came around sometime in late 2021.

1 Thank

€ 13,99 for a SOG Sideswipe sounds like a really good deal! You’re lucky you were able to get 2 of them. On Amazon USA, it’s discounted to $40 USD. But looking at price history, it hit a low of $15 USD back in 2017. It does appear to be a discontinued knife at this point, according to the SOG Knives website.

This would be my hesitation:

Those inset cuts in the blade towards the front of the blade look strange and potentially a troublesome debris trap for any messy cutting. My old SOG Vulcan Tanto has similar cuts that go clear through the blade, but they’re up back near the thumb stud… and I tucked in some tritium tubes that make it easy to spot at night.

2 Thanks

Budget stuff is so great! I’ve had many amazing finds on AliExpress. Brother knives are my favorite. Some of the best traditional designed knives I’ve found!

Then there’s Land knives! The only negative with them and so many others like them is that they do a lot of cloning which is often frowned upon in the knife collector world. But this one is better (matter of perspective and tastes) than my actual Sebenza!

2 Thanks

I also highly recommend people check out Real Steel knives. Produced in China, but a very legitimate brand that can be found on Blade HQ and Knife Center even! Lots of fun to be had in the cheap seats for sure!!!

And you can’t forget the American brands produced in China, like Rough Ryder…

I wonder if LAND knives is related to Sanrenmu. Certain cosmetic design cues seem very similar.

Chris Reeves knives are impeccably done. I don’t own any, but I did have a chance to hold a Sebenza in hand and it felt like serious top-shelf machining. I can’t imagine any cheapie coming close. So, I have to ask–what are the factors you find appealing in the LAND Sebenza clone? Also, are they weighted similarly?

2 Thanks

The Sebenza has the worst action I’ve ever experienced. Literally sticky to the point that it doesn’t open in a smooth single sweep, it stutters and hangs up along the way about 10 times. Truly atrocious. I also hate the micarta inlays. They’re completely unfinished. Look and feel terrible! Lastly, the thumb studs are trash, but this is something widely known by all. They’re too pointed and sharp causing massive thumb wear sores. Honestly I’ve never had a worse knife.

2 Thanks

I won a fake Sebenza on BLF years ago.
It has very good action, and it looks “real” to my untrained eye.
I only carry assisted-openers with flippers, but that fake Sebenza is a very nice knife.
(I’ve never owned a real Sebenza.) :grin:

If I remember correctly, Land knives are somehow related to SanRenMu, but I don’t remember what the relationship is. :+1:

1 Thank

I have a vague recollection of LAND being a kind of sub-brand of SanRenMu, or perhaps an offshoot from the SanRenMu team. Another popular brand in this price/quality zone is Ganzo.

2 Thanks

Did you get your CR Sebenza brand new, or was it pre-owned?

It sounds like it needs servicing. You should look into getting it lubed and adjusted. Seriously, for a knife of that quality, it deserves it. I’ve watched a number of CR Sebenza reviews and they’re almost all glowing about it.

As for thumb studs, there is a very simple solution. Get yourself a set of micromesh pads. Micromesh is an abrasive surface kind of like sandpaper but of much finer grades. It’s idea for taking scratches out of metal surfaces and polishing. I’ve used it on the spine of blades where the edges weren’t chamfered and felt a bit sharp. Just a few passes along the edges and that sharpness was dulled enough not to be a bother any more, while not giving any obvious visual clue of the adjustment. You could do the same for sharp edged thumb studs.

I understand people frowning upon copycats but the level of hate I sometimes see borders on religious zeal. Forget actual counterfeiting. There is a small but vocal minority in the knife community who would like to see the people at Ganzo and Sanrenmu tarred and feathered, or worse. =o

Forget that Sanrenmu, the company making these Land knives, also makes knives for Boker and Spyderco. (They also make the Real Steel knives you mention in the next post.)

That said, part of the issue is that Chris Reeve hasn’t done a genuinely licensed budget version of the Sebenza. It seems either utterly ridiculous or pretentious to not capitalize on such a prospect. I have one of the $20-something Sebenza-like knives from Land and it’s awesome. Coincidentally, the only reason I don’t own a real Sebenza is that I prefer flickable knives that run on bearings (like the Land version) and I’m not going to drop that kind of cash on something that isn’t what I like.

2 Thanks

Nope, brand spanking new. I’ve never bought anything used except my house and my first few cars.

I also refuse to pay money to send something back that for so damn much money wasn’t right in the first place. I’d rather just keep bad mouthing and hating on them like they deserve. Maybe one day I’ll take it apart and polish the washers. I hear this is actually a very common issue with CRK knives and that this is a very simple and common fix. I just have way too many knives that are far superior that I’d rather spend my time enjoying so i haven’t bothered yet. I honestly likely never will.

I do have another CRK, the Mnandi, which is an amazing knife. The action is perfectly smooth and flick-openable. Great little gentleman’s knife!