All-Time Favorite Single AA (Alkaline or NiMH) Light

For me, hands down a lego’d Quark AA XML (QPA-X) for its extreme versatility. It can do almost anything the others can, but so many things the others can’t - as one example, it fully supports all these cells with just a piece of MacGyver tinfoil. I have NW and N219 versions, but I like CW too :slight_smile:

I have bought , used and given away more Ultrafire R5-A3 than i care to think about.

I buy them six at a time around christmas and never seem to have any left.

Two modes and a strobe. decent runtimes with the xpg, 11 or 12 bucks.

newbies are always impressed. will run anything.

Either my free HF 9 LED or a ZL SC52

Generating power in an EOW scenario isn’t a big deal and lithium cells store just as well as alkalines if you’ve got them. A few good rechargeables will outlast a whole ton of alkalines so Ten Years After(Still one of the best licks ever) production stops we’re all screwed anyway. Have to go back to lead acid or start reinventing the wheel

That’s very true Rufus. I guess we should all just start learning how to make batteries if we’re prepping for an EOW scenario. :slight_smile: Even though there weren’t a whole lot of replies, I’m surprised there wasn’t a flashlight that made the cut for two people. No one said the same light. I guess with so many options, everyone’s taste in flashlight flavors is different. Wasn’t hoping for a recommendation, just kind of fun to see what everyone says.

My top four choices were in the first picture reppans posted… though none of the four were the one he chose.

I’d go with a L3 L10-219 or ZL H51/H52 or ZL SC52… or maybe D25A Ti 219 (though I don’t know since mine hasn’t arrived yet). I have high hopes for the D25A. But with only one, I’d probably go with a Zebralight H52Fw because hands-free use is pretty important. And if I actually did have to choose just one, end of the world or something, chances are that I’d be in a situation where I would care a lot about having the absolute maximum runtime.

For real life though, mundane daily use in a city, things like size and appearance often matter more than runtime and hands-free use. So, the D25A Ti 219 might be a better choice.

Edit: The D25A Ti 219 didn’t turn out quite as I had hoped. However, SBFlashlights has a brand new L3 L10C-219, basically the L10-219 with a screw-on clip and rear clicky, and it’s a strong candidate for best AA light. Also, I got a Thrunite T10T NW and it’s surprisingly good. It could use a low mode between moon and medium, but it’s really nice overall.

Nice!

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1052605-trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-230lm-memory-l

I have quite a few AA lights but if I had to choose just one it would be my Zebra SC51W.

Thrunite Saber (or T10) would be a close second.

L3 Illumination L10 4 mode w/nichia 219

But for AA/14500 option
Zebralight SC52w

Definitely the SC52 for me. I know of no other single AA light with it’s output on alkaline cells.

Without a doubt, Thrunite Saber 1A on 14500.

Perfect mode retention and firefly not affected by 14500.

+1, at least for the 4 mode L3 Illuminations L10 with the Nichia 219, mine is used daily.

I don’t have any other AA lights, but the EagleTac D25A is next on my list due to my experience with a D25C and D25C2.

He probably eliminated 14500 compatible lights because he didn’t want to see the SC52/SC52w in most responses.

Yep. And because pitting an akaline or NiMH against a li-ion just isn’t fair in terms of output. It’s a whole other level. Just wanted to see what has stood the test of time as a single AA non lithium EDC for you guys.

Then again, the same can be said about the SC52/SC52w, even if you limit it to NiMH. The output of the SC52 may not live up to the advertised 280 lumens. But it’s still MUCH, MUCH higher than your typical 120-150 lumen 1xAA light.

At the moment my all time favorite single AA light is the Xtar WK50.
Local review: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/17083

Quark QTA with the deep-carry clip and a fully charged eneloop NiMH for me. Simple as that. I’d even carry mine at work if it wasn’t so nice - my work lights tend to get quite beaten around.

On a side note - Xtar WK50’s are nice; I ordered a pink one as a birthday present for an (obviously female) coworker last year. Nice build quality, not overly expensive, and works well. I’m thinking about adding one to my collection now, too (not a pink coloured, though)

My sc52 tested at 245 out the front from Energizer ultimate lithiums. I am told it does very similar on Eneloops as well. Probably about double what most single AA lights put out.

Zebralight H50 Or any of the H5* series. I have a Q5 H50 and it still is my most used light.

If 14500 compatibility is allowed it would have to be my 93mm Ultrafire C3 stainless steel light. It's still competitively bright and I still love it.

I've had both of those for years and won't be parting with either.

I’m with you……. I have a dozen 1xAA lights and for $/lumen these things are pretty darn good.