alpg88, 3rd annual contest thread,

Another clean, well thought ought design, from the alpg88 workshop. You always seem to be thinking ahead, like the integrated charge ports, and the built in handwarmer for those cold winter nights :slight_smile: . Should be quite the lumen monster with the slug of XHP-50’s going to work.

You have to love all those wires and other thingys. Its looking real good near the finish.

yep, almost done. however i found out i have miscalculated thickness of entire body, now i need another 1\4-3\8 panel to fit the driver, it would not be a big deal, if i did not have everythinbg soldered and assembled, now i have to find a way to install it with all wire connection in place.
oh well, when everthing goes smooth, and easy, that means a big surprise may await you at the very end. lol

Don't we all love a surprise.

cut a “layer” out if 1\4 plywood, split at the bottom, was able to slip it under wires.

did not put any coating on panel yet, will do that, and also will cut bolts to correct length and will do beamshots.

this thing is really bright, I also won a tint lotto, dedomed led is now warm, with no hint of green.

the light is like 95% ready,

the light is finished, the only thing left to do are beamshots.

however upon further testing I realized cooling was not sufficient, on full blast, so I installed stronger fan, unfortunately the only one I had available, that was strong enough, and fit, was 28mm high fan, (in place of 10mm fan), I have placed an order for 15mm tall fan with high cfm, when it comes I replace it.

Ever seen sex bolts? They’re used to fasten together cabinet sections and have a low profile screw that threads into a tube with a matching low profile screw head. It would replace the bolts/cap nuts.

yea, i’ve seen those, honestly i do not like them much for this purpose. right now, the hole is same diameter as the rod, and that also keeps panels from moving around, sex bolts only sit firmly with one half. tightning firm is not always an answer, it crushes plywood, (if you go too tight), it also damages carbon.

i usually only use acorn nut, this time i used regular nuts and acorn nuts, i do agree however, it would look better with out long nuts. i will cut bolts a bit more so only 1 set of nuts fits.

There are ways to address the concerns you mention but your light, your design, looks great.

alpg88 that is really outside the box. Very elaborate design. When I was scrolling through the thread I did not realize what you were doing with the color LEDs and the carbon body. That is very creative.

Thanks for sharing.

very cool unique design!

i could only make a beamshot indoors, crazy busy at work, took a pic of my workplace.

f8, shutter speed 1\2 sec, iso 80

With hours to spare. Love your work place.

thanks, I like it too.

now there is another problem I came across, I build many multiple cell, lights, majority of them, protected 18650s, I solder them together, and use cb plug\jack, for charging port, I use hitek 4x charger, I build lights with 1 to 6 cells, , all but this one charge\balance\discharge… just fine, this one after a short while stops charging, and charger shows, ” wrong voltage selection” or something like that, I tried different currents, modes (charge\fast charge, storage charge…., different ports, it would still do so, but if I restart charging, it charges, but after a while it happens again, it takes few tries to charge cells, I thought when I get my balance tails it will stop, but it still doing same thing. no other light does that, this one is 6s, all other are 5s and less.

I think for some reason one cells pcb trips, and it stops charging, reseting it helps, for a while.