AMUTORCH E3S ---Guess its length, Win a Free E3S! (revealed)

Has your new E3S stepless ramping or has it only 4 modes?

Robert

It has both stepped and ramping still.

However, the body is actually slightly different though with a little less detail. Also, the “bronze” is lighter and looks more like a latte, and the white printing on the tail cap looks like it was done by someone with grimy hands.

I guess it wouldn’t be an Amutorch if it didn’t have some sort of problem or imperfection!

Some marks from machining:

So, every Amutorch is unique :smiley:

I can confirm my E3 and E3S have similar marks/QC issues, but really wasn't much worth noting.

Status update on the OSHPark Anduril drivers:

I did receive the V3 batch of 6 this week, not much time to review yet. I did measure the placement of the switch thru holes and they appear to be the same distance from the edge as the prior V1 batch boards, so suspect the switch's I have can't mount far out enough. But didn't have time to experiment with the switch placement yet. Should get to it either today/tonight or this weekend for sure. The V3 boards are wider, so that should help with switch positioning - gotta see/test it.

If the holes are a problem, I can (again) dremel down the pins on the bottom of the switches and use epoxy to lock them in place, so not a total loss, but that's a bit more work, and somewhat painful to get the positioning correct - I need to tinker with a better means to position the switch. I have a spare E3 to experiment with, but my 2nd E3S hasn't arrived yet - shipped out of California on Aug 22nd, no further updates.

… can’t mount far out enough”, How far? Out of the board ? .Its already maximum out. The problem was a diameter, i ques now its right size? ;))

As far as the stock board - switch sticks out a bit.

Looks like they made to small diameter , but with switch out of the board :smiley:

Here's what they look like, all 3:

V3 vs. stock - measured ~ 0.2 mm difference:

V1 vs. V3 - I can't really see any difference in distance to edge:

Doesn't mean mounted, there won't be a difference. Need to do some testing...

Between E3S 4000k and 6500k, which one do you prefer? Which one would you say is closer to neutral white?

SST20 6500k and SST20 5000k tend to be greenish at low brightness levels.

The SST20 4000k on the E3S looks OK to me (not as rosy as some SST20-4000k flashlights I have - eg the MF01-Mini with SST20-4000k), but not as bad as the SST20-4000k on other flashlights (usally Convoy's SST20-4000k flashlights are a bit less rosy).

Anyway, due to above reason, I'll likely choose the SST20-4000k, sacrificing some brightness.

There is actually an E3S SST20-5000k, but it doesn't seem to be continued (not listed anymore), since I suppose I was one of the early adopters of E3S, I was able to get the E3S with SST20-5000k (although being an early adopter, the included 20350 is only 1200mAh instead of 1400mAh).

in below beamshots, camera setting adjusted to the same setting (daylight white balance, 1/10th shutter speed, ISO 800, f/2.8 on my entry-level digicam)

1) E3S with 3x SST20-6500k

2) E3S with 3x SST20-5000k

3) E3S with 3x SST20-4000k

The above beamshot are on max brightness, so the "greenish" tint I'm referring too may not be present though..

www.youtube.com/embed/bhz-twZU_C0

Thanks, d_t_a!

Based on those photos, the 5000K version looks the best to me. The 4000K looks too warm for my liking. Given that 5000K is no longer available, I am going to pass on this light.

Thanks again!

Maybe Amutorch will see your message and if there’s interest, they may produce the 5000k variant some other time…

(side comment: when the Yootoo (another Amutorch sub-brand) SD2 was first released, they also listed SST20-6500k and SST20-5000k variants. I ordered 1 of each, but the 5000k got cancelled, so I wasn’t able to get that variant. Recently I notice the Amutorch/Yootoo SD2 is available again, but only in SST20-6500k and SST20-4000k variants. The 5000k variant doesn’t seem to be available now).

I have a question, is the optic used in this Amutorch E3S the Carclo 10507 optic?

Not sure it's been mentioned but the E3S actually fits a 21700 in width, so in theory, a 21350 should fit perfectly, though they don't see to exist. Also if you want to use a 18350 in it, a 21700 to 18650 adapter fits, just need to cut it down in length.

I just got mine today and much to my dismay, it didn’t have a battery even though I paid for one. I bit the bullet and got two 25 amp 20350’s on eBay

These V4's arrived today - much better positioning of the switch and they are purtier:

It's OSHPark's new After Dark finish

Can you please PM your order number? Did you purchase it on AMUTORCH.com please?

Hello, I actually got it from Nealsgadgets. I’ve bought a lot of lights from him and they’ve all been perfect. I think he just forgot that battery on this one

Thanks

I just got in a blue one, ordered the 4000K, received 6500K - from Banggood. It's disappointing... Now gotta figure what to replace them with.

The UI is different on this one - only smooth ramping, doesn't get very low, can't press&hold to get to lowest setting, only memory and 2C turbo from OFF. Will replace with Anduril 2 anyway.

Have you tried the EMISAR D4SV2? I just got one and I love it

I think it’s time to expand my “color temperature” horizons. All mine are 6500K because I wanted the raw power but now I’m intrigued by the high CRI, 400K, etc

Not sure what to buy first though