Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

Which model Folomov is it mrheosuper, sounds interesting.

“18650s” is the model number.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=folomov+18650s

In general does sofirn sell lights by themselves on Amazon or just kits with light+battery+charger?

I know the SP33 kit is brand new to Amazon so I’m hoping there’s plans to also sell the light only too.

IMHO, the Folomov 18650S is not a good light for comparison: First of all, it's not very reliable. Many people report about severe issues with the Nichia 219D getting blue, insane heat on turbo and a very fickle driver that tends to die for reasons unknown if you dismantle the flashlight, at least in my case. Some people exchanged the LED, e.g. Djozz soldered a Samsung LH351D 4000K 90CRI on it but even his Folomov 18650S seems to behave strangely if I recall correctly. Then, there's a totally different driver/switch concept here. While Sofirn uses a mechanic tail switch in the SP31 V2.0, Folomov used an electronic one with all its up- and downsides. Sofirn uses a buckdriver in its SP31 V2.0 and SP32A (CR123A capability), Folomov uses a very simple, cheap driver design. Last but not least, there's the UI: I cannot get used to Folomov's "waveform" UI (e.g. low-mid-high-turbo-high-mid-low). Sofirn's UI might be rudimentary and classic but it's useful and easy to manage.

I think it’s a case by case basis.

I have seen it both ways Cereal_killer and I cannot establish any pattern. It just seems random to me. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thank you hank! I had read it wrong. :person_facepalming:

I read Folomov 18650 s …… instead of Folomov 18650s.

Might be time to get new glasses.

I think their Amazon model is two fold. They supply a stock of lights to Amazon and also ship direct. It’s easy to tell because it’s stated if it’s “fullfilled” by Amazon.

They sell both kits and stand alone, depending on the model.

Are Sofirn’s 26650 5500Mah batteries any good? I can’t find any test on them or any info on which cell is underneath the wrap.

The 5000 and 5500 black label are entry level, not high amperage. Okay for non demanding lights.

Sofirn is currently testing a new 26650 4800mah that is high drain and might release it soon.

Thank you! :beer:

From first hand knowledge, the buyers on Amazon tend to be muggles and don't quite "get" the 18650 thing, and get very frustrated and end up returning the lights. The seller is the one that gets burned by the additional costs of returns. No matter how clear you try to make it that batteries are not included and special batteries are required, they miss it and Amazon accepts the returns.

It's actually a good idea to include batts/charger on Amazon, but messes it up for the rest of us.

Yep.

Seeing reviews of the BLF Q8 is quite sad IMO. Many people aren’t knowledgeable enough to know how lights like this work. Not stupid, just ignorant.

This is why learning is very important.

Nope, I’d say there’s plenty of stupid to go around.

/\ +1 … Lightbringer. :+1::wink:

teacher, do those lights suffer from shadow rings one completely zoomed in?

@ mmalive…. I have not noticed any my friend.

The Z1 and Cometa are high qual zoomies and have the black out treatment around the LED to prevent ring artifacts - not many zoomies have that.

Who is the maker on those? I don’t know every light on the market by model number yet….

The Z1 is made by Jaxman. The Cometa was a BLF Group Buy. Jaxman has a store on AliExpress. I think Cometas are sold out now at Banggood.
Edit: Here is a link to the Jaxmen Store on AliExpress .