Anduril 2 feature change suggestions

I do like to have it, but you have an interesting point about simple UI there.

Maybe optional on advanced UI, and disabled on simple?

Is it possible to have Soft Start & Stop work when the light is locked out?

I’ve only just noticed 1H & 2H when the light is locked out are instant-on & off…

It is possible with a firmware modification I made a while ago:

1 Thank

I would like to eliminate it!

It is very annoying.

I seem to be the only one who is annoyed that it’s slow on/off in the new version.

If they think it’s an improvement I’ll resign myself :disappointed:.

I like to press and see have the light on instantly and press with an instant off.

It has happened to me of wanting an instant light and I have had to cover the flashlight because sometimes those 1.5 to 2s makes you get spotted.

Or if I want to use it to scare off an animal, it doesn’t hit the light, it starts with low light and goes up to the maximum softly and very slowly.

I hope it can be solved.

Sorry if I insist but I updated all my flashlights and when I received a new one I was surprised by the speed of ignition I missed it!

Not sure in what universe you live. The animation takes less than 0.5 seconds. But you can turn it off in the settings if you don’t like it.

I second this…
Maybe when you stand face in face with :bear: the seconds seem very long :thinking:

Personally I like soft-start and smooth steps. But in keeping with the ethos of Anduril (configurability), it should be possible to fully disable them.

I noticed on 2023-12-03 that after 3C for voltage check there is quite a long delay before it starts blinking.

I actually like the soft start - but I’m actually of the opinion that it shouldn’t be on by default.

3 Thanks

Because previously the first measurement was wrong due to the voltage sag when entering batt-check mode. Now it continues to sample the voltage a little bit before showing the result.

1 Thank

Naturally I haven’t measured it but it is long for me, if I want instant light, it doesn’t do it looks slow very slow and the turn off is slower, I lower the flashlight to avoid it when turning off.

It is more the feeling than the duration.
I think it would be the other way around whoever likes to set it up.

And by default instant on, it’s just my opinion that the options are possible to configure and by default are the normal flashlight options instant on/off is something that should be by default.

I think these things should be configuration options and default to normal power on for any flashlight.

I quickly noticed this when I got my latest anduril flashlight a few days ago.

It gave me great joy to see how fast it turned on.

That’s a lot of lights and I like the new options but I’m going to look up where this option is added and change the firmware on all of them to the latest version with fast turn on.

I usually do several resets, unfortunately not many people know how to use Anduril and I don’t configure the lights because the simple mode lacks options and I have it set to Advanced for everyone.

And when I do a reset, the slow mode comes back on.

I have not tested if you can remove this slow start but I have not done it because it will disappear at reset.

The slow power on is the only option I don’t like in anduril.

I like the soft start but in my opinion it’s too slow, i tried 3/4 and 1/2 duration and I like both better than the current speed. I sent the hex to a couple of people and that was also their opinion.

1 Thank

OFF

When the hand moves is when I press to turn off.

For those who can make custom builds and reflash, changing this variable to 0 will change the default to no smooth steps after a reset (I think):

From what little I see without going into the code that changes the default ramp type.

Smooth or staggered, but it’s not the ignition thing.

But ignore me I do not know without seeing the code on github.

Thanks for the info.

I think it should be optional soft power on mode and default to always use instant on.

FWIW, I agree. I am not even sure what the point is for having the delay at all. Not sure what it brings to the party other than “cuteness”. Especially in an era where everyone seem to want instant response in everything. But then I am the guy that turns off all animations, delays, trails…etc. In every case that I can.

2 Thanks

I also am not a fan of “Smooth Steps” or “Soft Start/Stop”, so I “disable smooth steps” because I prefer the experience of seeing instant discrete brightness level changes.

But I greatly appreciate the customization within Anduril allowing me to select different behaviors and to change my mind if I later decide I actually prefer something else.

For instance, theoretically “Smooth Ramping” seemed superior to me, but in practice “Stepped Ramping” worked better for me.

I use “Smooth Ramping” mostly only when playing with a light and I do enjoy it.

But for me, “Stepped Ramping” is more useful and productive “out in the field” for quickly switching and choosing between a limited number of “stepped brightness levels with a known expected brightness change” and “being able to keep track of what stepped level I am at” compared to “hunting around” by gradually ramping up and down in “Smooth Ramping” looking for the ideal brightness level and “not knowing exactly where I am at within the ramp’s range”.

I know strokes are different for different folks… But the smooth steps feel like a nice refinement to the UI to me. I don’t have any A2 lights that make me think I need it to function like every other tactical light out there - but it’s in there if I need it.

And I also very much appreciate the new voltage check timing - I prefer to use the Aux lights for my readouts, but they always had a flash of the main emitters during the 3C sequence and while it took some getting used to entering that and checking the readout knowingthe first flash happened, it’s much nicer to enter 3C and have enough time to turn the light around before getting the voltage - it minimizes the amount of flashes I might have to subject anyone around me to.

But, maybe someday everyone can have everything…

Because previously the first measurement was wrong due to the voltage sag when entering batt-check mode. Now it continues to sample the voltage a little bit before showing the result.

That explains it I guess.

However for me this is excessive/compulsive. I don’t need battery check to be an accurate multimeter, rather as a quick estimate of where the battery is. If it is off by a small amount due to sag then so be it.

This initial delay combined with the extra digit of precision - so if you mis-count you have to wait longer for the next loop - means battery check is now quite slow & frustrating compared to older versions of Anduril.

For test builds - testing hardware and so forth - I can absolutely see the need for this level of precision, but for user builds I think the old behaviour would be better.

Well, previously it was off by 0.1 to 0.3 V.

1 Thank