Are we not capable of a little better?

My older sister saw The Beatles twice. I’ll be jealous until the day I die.

Yeah I obviously haven’t been here very long, but I have noticed all the rude, self righteous know it all complainers in almost every thread. There seems to be no respect or curtesy anymore, and that doesn’t just apply to this forum. Dale, I can’t believe someone cursed you!! You are one of the nicest most helpful members I’ve dealt with. Anyways I appreciate all the knowledge all you nice members bring to the hobby, and hope you guys don’t get too put off by all the nonsense and stick around.

As a teenager, my Mum dated Paul McCartney. True.

Oh, thanks a LOT for that photo. I remember her when she was still young. Now I REALLY feel old.

Yes I agree with the OP. Some time ago I started a thread the contents and subject I will not mention here as I don’t want to drag it all up again. The thread started well and then it turned into something completely different. The insults went on and on to the point were another thread was started to make fun of the thread I started. It was just a couple of members and I was warned about them via a couple of PMs. The fact is what should have been a good informative thread was destroyed by a few members that just seemed to want a fight.

So well said and I hope any older well respected members are not put of by these arguments in the future. We need experience and knowledge here not bickering.

Are you speaking of this thread?

Banggood selling fake Nitecore charger? confirmed by Nitecore's website, if it's working.

I'm usually a nice guy, but I show no mercy for those that start troll threads.

I going to have to start arguing with you, for the chance of getting a delicious offer like that! :party: I could always go for a nice brisket!
Hell, I’m easy, I’ll go for any kind of barbecue. And of course, I’ll bring whatever contribution gets me in the door. :smiley:

I am a relative newbie here but I’ve read bunches of the old threads so I know something of how BLF was in past times. Yes, it different now- growth and change bring that. I still see it as one of the best forums which is why I spend so much time here. I can’t be part of the old but I can and do try to follow the behavior in those earlier footsteps.

The moderation of a forum is important because it is going to go as far as it is allowed to go. It is up to the forum owner to decide where the boundaries are and to maintain them. How they do that and how well they do that creates the space we’re in. From that point the rest is up to us- it takes good people to make a good forum. There’s a lot of darn good people here and I want to be a part of that. Those who came before me created the greatness here and as I see it I do not have the right to do anything to reduce their efforts. This isn’t just about me- it’s about us, all of us. It’s also about flashlighgts, not politics or religion or rights or how we feel about somebody else who is here with us. They have a right to be here too, even the crass ones. At least until the Moderators decide to dump them.

We make our own way, we make our own world, and we make this forum whatever it is. I don’t know about you but I want all the fun and happiness I can get. I want to learn about lights and enjoy them. When that can’t happen anymore it will be time for me to move on and I will. Until then I’m going to try to give what I want to get- fun, happiness, and knowledge with the rest left for elsewhere. Time for me to shut up here and post about what I got today.

Phil

So, I skimmed over that thread, and I don’t see any abuse or nastiness. What I see is a thread that got horribly off-topic, and people stubbornly and firmly digging in their heels about other issues. I admit I didn’t read every single post, but I don’t see any personal attacks. People were generally attacking semantics, which may be annoying, but it’s not abusive.

Is it possible that some of the people complaining about abuse and personal attacks, are simply being a little over-sensitive and taking things personal that are not meant to be? Conveying meaning in text is difficult. Someone may have no intent to insult, but the reader may incorrectly interpret it that way.

Anyway, that’s just my thoughts on the matter. Don’t attack me for them! :wink:

^ 1+

I just read the thread. Didn’t see any personal attacks or abuse. I know I had one post in the thread but I abandoned the thread shortly after.
Sorry, I’m with RC (and pretty much everyone else). Nitecore’s validation site sucks. And you found nitecore wrapped caps inside your charger. I haven’t seen any fakes that include that. But you left a title that suggests BG sold you a fake. Phrasing matters.

I don’t know that robo819 was originally speaking about that post but there are a few threads here which I can see his OP relating to. And yes, that makes the whole forum look bad to somebody who doesn’t know us who comes by and reads those threads.

We can do better. At least we can try.
Phil

Make critical remarks about Surefire and you’ll be banned. I assume the mods have a lot of money invested in Surefire, or some commercial connection.

Ask why mods banned someone, and suggest it was not needed, and you’ll be banned.

Having read previous posts from her, that photo instills fear in me. :slight_smile: I thnk the difference is that CPF does not need to pander to manufacturers.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to robo819 for bringing up this very important topic. And thanks to everyone else who commented here about the issue.

I tend to agree with others who said that BLF is still friendlier than the other 99% of forums. But we can still improve. I’m going to briefly expand on a few of the BLF Rules that are relevant in this case:

This one is the most obvious, and doesn’t really require any explanation. As was mentioned, even though this is the first rule here I try to not enforce it with a ban unless absolutely necessary. But I do enforce it. However, I don’t read every single post here, so some major rudeness can still slip by without me having a chance to enforce it. Please don’t try to publicly reprimand rude posters, as it usually just gets them more riled. On the other hand, I’ve found that many users that cross the line are surprisingly reasonable when I send them a PM. So please just let me know via PM when notable rudeness occurs.

As this rule says, all cussing and swearing in general should be avoided here. But as for publicly cussing out somebody, please immediately let me know via PM, even if you weren’t the object of the curse. I absolutely will not tolerate this kind of extreme rudeness here, and I would like to offer my public apologies to anybody who has been the object of such an offense here.

This is also another big obvious one. Again, please don’t respond to posts of this nature, and please DO let me know via PM.

This one is key. What I usually see is that there are only one or two rude or conflictive posters in a problem thread, but others jump in and try to reprimand or reproach the offending users. This invariably has the effect of irritating the offending user more, at which point (s)he usually crossed more lines and becomes more riled and offensive. So let’s all please try to make a concerted and conscientious effort to not throw more fuel on the fire by responding to arguments or rudeness when it breaks out. And please let me know about such issues ASAP via PM.

So a recurring theme in this little essay of mine has been “please let me know via PM” about any issue that comes up. I don’t mean to take advantage of users by using them as police, and I’m not asking anybody to go out of their way to search and report violations. But if you run across something that doesn’t look right and/or personally annoys/offends you, please don’t feel like a snitch by letting me know via PM. I really do need and appreciate your collective help to ruthlessly and tenaciously enforce this final BLF Rule:

:smiley:

So no more

When we get caught up in the negatives, the positives are passing us by unnoticed.

One day we realize we’re stuck in a quagmire of our own making, when all it takes is to place proper focus on the direction we Want to go, instead of being blown in the wind of other’s stress and hatred.

I make a choice, I choose to live in a bright and pleasant world. I do this by stuffing 3 XHP-70’s into a BTU Shocker and firing that bad boy UP! :bigsmile: Burn stress and hate, burn! :stuck_out_tongue:

Another little note. I recently acquired a MecArmy PT16. This is a very very tiny triple XP-G2 light. Tiny. Stylish, e-switch on the side, Tiny! And it makes 1100 lumens. Walking down our driveway late at night, I fired it up and giggled and laughed and totally, thoroughly enjoyed this little tiny beast of a light. Even it’s price tag didn’t deter the outright laughter it’s lumens produce. Yes, I AM A Flashaholic. I have a problem. I do NOT wish to be cured. :smiley:

This little light uses a 16340 cell, has built in charging via a micro USB port hidden in the threads for the head. Remove the head and plug in the USB cable, the entire top of the battery tube lights up red. When it’s done, it turns green. Replace the head and carry on.

How cool is that? :slight_smile: See? We need to be playing, enlightening the world with our finds and our builds, WE are the Future! lol

Odd isn’t it. I once witnessed a ‘discussion’ between two people on a forum called dpreview. It appears to have gone on for months if not years, and consisted of one person calling the other a ‘useful fool’ and posting links to his favoured political party, and the responding with ‘you are a racist’ and criticising his politics and so on. They must have spent a large part of their respective days engaged in the fight. The worst part was that one of the two people was/is an assistant department head in the computing faculty of a UK university. :open_mouth:

Had this on the wishlist for a while, how is the UI?