Astrolux/BLF Copper A01 BLF Edition CODE NOW PUBLIC. $20 Solid Copper AAA!!!

+1

Head diameter is ~16.5mm .
Something like this will work :
http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/tank007-torches/torch-lantern-diffuser-suitable-for-15mm-diameter-torch.html

Oh, I’ve been looking for people who use tactical strobe and SOS blinkies. What kind of things do you use the strobe mode for?

Depending on what you mean by diffuser, DC-Fix can work. I don’t know of a wand-type diffuser for it though.

Hmm hank or Phil is using blinkie when crossing streets
He wrote about it and even got thanks from cardrivers for being visible

I will check to see if a plastic test tube from one of those kids chemistry sets we have fits.

Yeah I meant wand-type diffuser.

I use the strobe mode to make myself more visible in the dark. Walking along side of road, clip the light to the back of my backpack and turn on the strobe mode.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I normally use a 2-level flasher for being more visible… steady on at a low level with pulses once per second at a brighter level. Basically, the BLF A6 bike flasher mode but not as bright.

Or, depending on what I’m doing, sometimes other blinkies. There’s a heartbeat beacon which briefly flashes twice per second in a heartbeat-like rhythm, and it seems to work pretty well for some purposes. Runtime on it is really really long too.

I don’t know why :person_facepalming: … I just ordered my 10th A01 … this time in safety colour -orange! :sunglasses:

Tenth? I ordered 4 (gave one away) and thought I needed help. You, sir, need to join the A01A.

Yes… I know! :crown: :partying_face:

They are nice lights, I have some. But 10? Yeah, that’s a lot of lights of exactly the same model.

It happens when someone really likes a certain model. The original X6-SE got me that way, as did the later ones. It is like trying to spread the word about a religion....flashlights of course ;)

1 black, 1 purple, 1 grey, 1 orange, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue, 1 copper-BLF, 1 copper Astrolux and now 1 orange on the way. I’m crazy!

I got a bunch of L3 L10 lights in a variety of colors… but they were also on sale for like a third of regular price and they’re for gifting. I don’t bother with multiple copies of things for myself unless I expect it to wear out and I know I’ll want another afterward. But LED lights generally don’t wear out, and if they do I can fix them.

I put a bigger light in my pocket and put it on my lover’s key chain. It has some color, but the pocket tended to keep it shiny.
Toy, I think the yoke has a lot of sulfur.

Hi BLF! :slight_smile:
I recently purchased a copper BLF A01 and I’m having a bizarre and infuriating issue. The light seems to be too spongy when changing modes, causing the light to flicker and change modes rapidly when switching or turning the light on. Furthermore, the head can be pressed down a considerable distance, which makes the light activate even when turned almost halfway out. Any ideas as to how to fix it? I’ve never opened up a light fully, nor do I have any tools for soldering or the like. Is this something I should open up a ticket for?
Thanks for your input.

P.S. I’m a visiting CPF’er who loves the customized group buy lights this forum puts out. Haven’t had an issue with any of them until now. :frowning:

Make sure the contacts are clean to avoid flickering as much as possible. Try not to push down on the head while you are twisting it to On, since that can cause flicker as well. And when you turn it off, just turn the head way past where you need to. All of the AAA twisties I have had have some amount of play in the threads so you just have to get used to it.

Welcome to BLF!

I have a couple copper BLF A01, one in reserve. I only run 10440 in my user.
I stretched the spring and that really made for more positive mode changes.
The firefly is only appreciated in total darkness.
I got a diffuser for my K18 Ultratac and forced it onto my A01, now it falls off my K18.

(get the right size diffuser/condom to be safe)

Sorry to hear your first BLF light has an issue… The ticket is a viable option, though the customer service circus that will make you jump through pictures of hoops and dance for proof can be frustrating. Do it if you feel you need to of course.

Another option is to find some teflon plumbing tape and wrap the threads in front of the O-ring with it. You will have to fold the tape in half and put 2-3 wraps on the threads to tighten up the threads so there is less fore and aft movement for flickering. Make sure the front of the battery tube is free of teflon tape as that is the contact portion for the driver. I actually use this method on all my twisty head flashlights now, as even the “tightest” threads can benefit from a single layer wrap. Sounds like your A01 may be looser than that, so double the tape and try it with three wraps. If it is really tight, screw it in and out several times before deciding to rewrap the threads, the tape wears down into the tiny crevices and can work in very nicely from “too tight” initially.

Stretching the tail spring can help with flickering as well, so if you have a long pick or something, fish the rear spring out and stretch it while the light is apart. Pretty easy to do, cheap insurance at least…

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Good to know on the 10440, any idea the cumulative time you have had it on with the LiIon? I ran a 3.2V LiFePo4 for a few minutes, it seemed fine, but this light is good with a regular AAA or NiMh. I did not want to kill it…

Just ran it on medium for 5 minutes tailstanding(only fell over once)
no heat, no strain, all modes work fine.

Thanks for the tips guys! I will probably open a ticket and see where that goes. Due to the nature of the problem though I suspect it will be impossible to provide satisfactory pictures. If worse comes to worse, I can open a Paypal claim I suppose, but I’d rather not.

Normally I would chalk it up to normal thread play, but this seems rather extreme for that. There is over 1mm of spongy-feeling give! I will have to hunt down some of the mentioned Teflon tape (thanks ReManG!) and see if that helps. I’ve given the threads a cleaning, which I had to do on both my copper A01 and the red aluminum one I got to give away as both were remarkably messy. Before I do a deeper cleaning though I need to pick up some proper lubricant. The spring wasn’t seated at all when received so I had to poke it back in, so it shouldn’t be hard to pull it back out and stretch it.

Side note: This isn’t my first BLF light (that honour goes to my A6 in 5A tint, which was also my first 18650/li-ion/warm-tinted light and has been an absolute dream) but it is my first copper light and tied with the BLF 348 for my first high CRI light. I guess if nothing else I can play with the patina, stick a lithium primary in it, and make it a pretty paperweight that doubles as an emergency light. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll keep you guys updated. Thanks again!