Astrolux M02 discussion thread

30 mins on high (dims down)

will be available a no heat treated version as well? i would choose a little less colorful type of ss!

Looks like it’s steel with a coating of titanium nitride, much like the Tekut “Dapper” LK5050. Have been waiting for a light with that finish for ages… I like it because it’s rainbow-colored. :slight_smile:

Any idea if it’s actually coated with titanium nitride, or if it gets its color from heat stress? I know a titanium nitride coating is pretty durable (they use it to make drill bits last longer), but I’m not sure how a heat finish holds up. Anyone know?

The site indicates that it’s a pre-order. Any idea what the plan is or when it might actually be available? Also, any idea what specific Nichia emitter is used? (the 219B on the Astrolux S41 was kinda meh with a green tint, not the nice rosy 219B usually seen around BLF)

Did anyone else get an email from banggood about a manufacturing delay?

Yes, me too.
I cancelled my order since the Nitecore TIP CRI is a more interesting choice now.

D’oh, the price just went up… way up. Not so sure I’m interested any more, considering I already have a Cooyoo Quantum SS. Any idea if the initial pricing will ever return?

LOL, price went from $18 to $30 over night with about 88 pre-orders in a month, I guess I did not know how popular this was going to be :open_mouth: I’m OUT :laughing:

Obviously it doesn’t have a good apperance, to me at least. And I am more interested in if it has a strong beam and its range.

a sample is on the way to me - i hope i can show you a bit next week

They cannot keep up with production so the price was probably increased to decrease order count to give them some time to catch up :wink:

M02 price is $17.99 for the 10th anniversary sale

M03 Copper preorder is $19.99

Yeah, I saw that sale on 9-8-16 and picked one up. Forgot to post here on sale info.

I got mine today. It’s definitely an improvement over the M01. No more wobbly head while on low. In fact, the head is quite tight onto the body - loosening/tightening the head requires a good grip on the slippery stainless steel body and a bit of turning force. The same is true for the tail cap - also a solid, tight fit onto the body. I’ve been twisting the head on/off for the past 20 minutes for my testing, and my thumbs and index fingers are sore now.

It’s fun to blast 100 lumens (or whatever lumens for this Nichia LED) out of this tiny flashlight on high mode. But from a practicality standpoint, I kind of wish they cut it down to something like 40-50 lumens, so I can get more runtime on high.

In case anyone was wondering, I couldn’t detect any PWM while shining the M02 at a desktop fan.

One little side story - I tried putting the M01 head onto the M02 body, and when unscrewing the M01 head, I somehow ripped the o-ring on the M02’s body. Hmm, so that’s why they give you extra o-rings with flashlights. :stuck_out_tongue:

I received the M02 I ordered. It looks nice and has good tint, but the threads are sloppy and the o-rings are too big. It flickers like crazy on the low mode. It seems the too-thick o-rings (which don’t fit unless I force them in carefully while screwing parts together) may have been added to compensate for the loose-fitting threads. Not sure if the flickering is a side effect of that or if there’s a bad connection somewhere.

In any case, I can probably fix the issues by tapping solder joints to re-melt them and replacing the o-rings with a better fit or maybe teflon tape. But it’s a bit disappointing.

I haven’t tried the built-in charger yet. Am kind of dreading the next time I have to open the head (because the o-ring is so hard to get back in), and I prefer to use the DQG Fairy’s charger instead (lower amps).

OTOH, there’s another rainbow light coming up, the Olight S Mini. Might be worth a look, if you don’t mind swapping the emitter. Olight still has this weird obsession with only offering cool white.

Fantastic light! I’m also having issue with slight flickering in low mode unfortunately…

I wish there was a necklace included.

Do not buy this light its junk!

Beautiful but the threads are getting worst and worst and the light flickering like crazy, the oring will get destroyed after few uses… Terrible quality

It’s disappointing to read about the flickering issues again :person_facepalming:
I have bought a CooYoo Quantum titanium and a M01.
Both have wobbly heads and flickers at the low level.
I even had to unscrew the head pill a bit on the M01 to get it to go to high level.

Such a nice form factor and product but with bad threads and where the charging pill is not leveled which adds to the flickering issue.

I just got mine.

O rings are not lubed at all out-of-the-box. (why?) Twisting gets a little easier after lubing, but it’s still not smooth.

However, there is no flickering at all that I can notice. It’s a nice novelty light.

EDIT: After one day of keychain duty, it start flickering crazy in low mode. DO NOT BUY

LVP is not necessary because the Vf of the 219B is above 3 Volts.

Because China. :wink:

They didn’t machine the groove the O-ring sits in deep enough.
Can’t find thinner O-rings to replace them with…

It’s possibly the pill that needs to be screwed in the head tighter.