Australians all let us recharge

Scar non pal

I second the red LED suggestions.

I’ve tried most of my dozens of ultra low torches, but the Sofirn C01R is perfect for that scenario.

It has a simple twist switch, with three modes (low, med, high).
Cheap enough that I bought two.
Runs forever with an Energizer lithium AAA.

First Impressions Sofirn C01R with 660nm Red

670nm deep red led helps eyesight

Sofirn C01R deep red [SST20-DR available for pre-order]

By the way, Liitokala make good chargers.
Get 18650s from old laptop battery packs.

You’re also going to need the best EDC torch (IMHO), the FW3A or the FW4A.
:laughing:

Mmmmm cells from semi-old laptop battery packs are only good for S2+, but that’s fine given he’s mentioned that. If that’s the case, he should get the 3x7135 for those nice low lows.

OP, the TINI2 is nice but it’s 6500K so it’s not a pretty beam. With an emitter swap to something like an sw45k, different story.

Manker E02II has a several moonlight levels, one is so low you can barely see it looking directly at the led! the Sofirn C01s or even the maglite solitaire all are quite low and easy to cover the entire light with a fingertip.

I’d also suggest the Zebralight H53fc from Brightnite but it’s somewhat pricy. But it can do 0.01lumens; hard to see your hand 15cm from your face with it on that low.

I wanted a torch with sub lumen modes so that I could heat up formula for my newborn.

I ended up getting a Zebralight SC64c LE. The lowest output is fairly low. It’s usable. The user interface is nice. It can be programmed so that you can single click to go to the lowest mode and single click for off.

While searching for something that goes even lower, I settled on a Manker E02II NW. It has about 5 moonlight modes. Some are practically useless. The UI is a bit awkward compared to single click on / off. You need to hold to enter moonlight modes. If you don’t hold long enough, you might enter a medium output…

I think Zak (?) was singing the M150 praise as being a 14500 / AA EDC equivalent of the SC64c LE (18650). I bought a Skilhunt M150 V2 from Super Outdoor flashlight store on AliExpress. The Group B UI is nice. I have the three lowest modes enabled. Single click to return to last memorised output. Hold to ramp up and back (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 etc). Single click off. The brightness is as low as the SC64c LE to my eye. Tint seems nicer than my SC64c LE.

I’d recommend with SC64c LE or M150 V2.

And something like an XTAR ANT MC1 Plus charger from XTAR on AliExpress or Battery World locally etc. That’d do 18650 and 14500. You’d need some other charger if you wanted to use Eneloop AA… M150 V2 charger doesn’t do NiMH.

Thanks again folks for all the suggestions. I’m going to update OP with links as I get time to look at recommendations. The links are just for my future interest.

Cheers!

Ps. I advised my wife several are on the way and that I hope to get an S2 in each colour. Her response was not unexpected :smiley:

Thanks everyone for your helfpul ideas. So this is where I’ve come to…

I’m thinking for my very first project, I will get an S2 host, a BLF A6 driver and an LH351D 2700k mounted. Looking at the host, does it have everything else needed ie. reflector, lens, o-rings, etc? (I have soldering gear). http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32890514075.html

Any tips for ordering zebras in AU?

I ordered direct from the ZL website but I think they’ve stopped shipping to Australia.

Convoy S2+ with 12-group/Biscotti user interface is a good choice. You can turn on mode memory, and 0.1% or 1% should suffice for low lumen requirements. But 100% will still illuminate a forest. I have S2+ versions with SST-20 2700k, 219C 5700k, and all colour CSLNM emitters.

Hey Stephen,

Yeh, I don’t see myself ever needing 100% - maybe broken down on the road some wet, dark night. Also going to experiment with a few other drivers like the BLF A6, and different LEDs. My wife needs a new torch too. She has one of those dinky 3xAAAs as well. Going to set up an S2 for her once I’ve tested a few combinations. Think a 4 mode will suit her fine.

Placed an order for a couple of BLF A6 drivers but the Ali store messaged me saying the last batch had failed quality test and not sure how long till the next lot will be available. Guess I’ll revisit after CNY.

In good news, my wife can’t decide whether she wants a cyan or a purple S2. That’s progress, lol. Also ordered an Astrolux S1 for Ms 9 as she’s had to make do with cheap crap. Since it has the BLF driver in it, I’ll get to have a play in the meantime before placing a new order.

If you want to get your hands on a ZebraLight, just use AusPost’s ShopMate service.
I’ve used it several times and had no issue.

Also, welcome!

If your worrying about waking up your wife , make all the noise you want turn the light on jump in bed , pinch her on the butt and say , do you want to have sex ?

She will pretend she is sleeping every time

Orange S2+ arrived today. Programmed it. Super happy but still too bright on 0.1%. So I’ll be requesting a 7135*1 driver on the next one.

Jet-II also arrived today. Can’t get it working, suspect it’s the battery type. Will see. EDIT: nope, got it working, just a bit fiddlier. Modes are nice, beam is a nice neutral white, but damn, I don’t like the fiddliness of it. Promo claims it can be operated single-hand but def not the case. Needs a solid twist with both hands to turn it on. Would trombone lube be okay in this?

So this is where I’m up to. Also have a Fenix PD35 V2 Camo on order and another cyan S2+ which I will swap with my wife for her purple one.

Installed a BLF A6 driver and Nichia 219b 4500k in the blue host. The rest are all from Simon.

S2+ beams L -> R:

Orange - XPL Hi U3-7A (3000-3300K) 7135*3
Blue - Nichia 219b sw45k (4500K), BLF A6
Cyan - Nichia 219c (4000k) 7153*1
Gray - LH351D (4000k) 7135*?
Red - XM-L2 T6 4C (4200-4500k) 7135*3
Green - SST40 (5000k) 7135*?
Tan - Nichia 219C (5700k) - 7153*4

Nice set of emitters! :+1:

Yeh. I’m definitely liking warmer colours so I have a few 2700ks on the way to try out next. Probably replace the greener tints.