Banned on CPF - WTF?

yes thats what you call fishing and and perfect example of taking the bait Tongue out

Great thread, been chuckling the whole way through, the gems just keep coming.

Seems to me that CPF must be the best place to be, since y'all are so very upset about being banned there.Foot in Mouth I was banned there once, but who cares? I've been banned just about everywhere.

CPF is a family forum. Which means that there are a few old timers who originally formed and got into the forum and they were pretty serious about it back then. They became the family and still are. Modding flashlights then, was the equivalent of drag racing and it was taken very seriously. The moderators there are mostly the older ones who started the place and they still take it seriously...

Except it's many years later and the world has changed and they haven't, so the place seems and is just a large stick in the mud for the most part. I use it as a good source of searching, since just about everything you wnat to learn is there (except for all the really great stuff they lost several times over), but I won't ask questions because if you don't already know the answer, you're too stupid to ask there.

This place is more relaxed, but I'm sure I will leave sooner or later due to some travesty of justice slipping out of my flapper.Tongue Out

Excuse me? Do you actually believe that Bull Plop?

I have a Luxeon I i want to sell.

40 Lumens on 3 CR123A

(just kidding)

Permabanned! That sounds either pretty much screwed, or a really, really strong deodorant brand.

I'm guessing it's the former?

Why can't everyone just be a saint (Boondock Saint) just like moi?

Sorry to post in an old thread, the most recent thread on the topic is locked, and I loath starting new threads unless others do not exist.

I just got banned for two weeks from CPF, my second ban. I deserved my first about 5 years ago, did not remotely deserve this one. Mod accused me of insulting him, but he was mistaken, I did not insult him in any way, merely pointed out the fallacy he employed by name, and I think he must have thought I called him ignorant. Another commenter
generously linked to the wiki page to show it obviously was not an insult, and the mod merely removed his post entirely, covering up his silly mistake. Glad he didn’t get banned for sticking up for me.

I frequent CPF for my affection for a handful of long time users there. I have become particularly fond of three of them, and two of those post here. A long time user there that I was not familiar with, understanding my desire from my posts, reached out to me, and we quickly reached an agreement for him to sell me incredible light for an absolute bargain, and he will patiently wait until I have the money for it, which will take me a few months. That blows me away. That’s what I like about CPF, that stuff changes hands. I don’t go there for the mods LOL

The owner and half the mods are simply narcissists, but not all of them are passive aggressive and cut off discussion and knee jerk to a ban. A few of them, at least, will help work things out and show legitimate compassion. But I have seen even the “nice” ones operate with an unforgiving mob mentaility.

I am grateful to have a couple of BLF specials. and find nothing wrong with BLF, other than it is a little overwhelming for me, so many users here, and things move so fast, its hard for me to keep track is all. But you all are really ok by me, whomever you may be. Thanks for being around, and I am sorry I have been and likely will continue to be so rare.

Wow, this thread is ancient!

The only time I go on CPF is when someone on BLF links to something interesting over there.

I don't like the attitude of the ones in charge at CPF.

It's much nicer here.

People will see the light, eventually.

Hi ‘nocturne’ :sunglasses:
Sorry to see that. I had joined CPF before coming to BLF a few yrs ago. I was very green to Led Flashlights and I asked some apparently stupid questions. My answers were mostly ” go read FAQ’s or Sticky’s ” somewhere, and seldom a direct answer. One of my questions was deleted. I was about to go at this Led Flashlight info hunt alone, until finding BLF.
Now I am very Happy here :smiley:
I do not think we ban members here for confrontations, or I have not seen it. I personally have overacted and attacked a member here one time. We both came to our senses quickly, apologized, deleted our posts, and are friends again. When these things happen, it is Good to Learn to Respect fellow members and exercise patience and try to be slow to react. Our Moderator and Members are very patient here at BLF. Most conflicts get resolved peacefully. I see more Real Friends interacting here and everyone is Truly Welcome at BLF :heart_eyes:

If everyone always agreed, nothing would progress. It is through adversity that innovation and advancement occurs. But there is such a thing as rational argument and civil discourse. The rule is to ignore the opponent and focus on and speak to their argument, iow don’t attack them, attack their argument. The unwritten rule is don’t be thin-skinned, or don’t let ego take over. Not really rules, more like guidelines.

I tried all flashlight forums at the same time and only BLF keeps me coming back. really don’t like the other ones, they might be good people on the other forums, but some of them can be very hostile and unfriendly. Could be a cultural thing as well.

Interesting development. Just got an email from Dad. nbp just banned my father. LMAO. I am sure he deserved it.

Edit: I checked what he wrote. He did not deserve it. nbp thinks he is me. Well, we do have the same name, but we live about 9 hours apart, which should be obvious to anyone with access to CPF access.log.

I never got banned on Candlepower Forum, but I have found that BLF is so much more welcoming and interesting that there is no reason to head back to CPF. Ever. The development projects alone on BLF have been fascinating.

So welcome to BLF and hopefully you find this a welcoming home as well.

Apparently, nbp is a moderator at CPF.

here I call it out

here’s an explanation of what invincible ignorance is, which I’ve always referred to as infinite ignorance fallacy, how I was taught

here’s Kestrel taking it personally and banning me

here’s nbp’s ad hominem fallacy, entirely ignoring what my father wrote, which was extending my argument, and banning my father

here’s an explanation of ad hominem

enjoy.

[stuff removed, thanks mod]

mods: I am sorry I never did have a chance to read the rules here. If I crossed some line, please gut my comment as you see fit, that seems like the easiest thing to do… edit, select, delete, save. Thank you.

And thanks all for warm welcomes. Stay safe, God bless, etc.

There aren’t to many rules here and while I believe ever person has a right to their own opinion even if it differs from mine or everyone else’s but BLF has rules agaisnt certain topics which the post above seems to fall into.
Please read the rules mainly #3, it only takes a minute or less.

http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/misc/siterules
And welcome to BLF. I’m a former CPF refugee as well like many others here.

I will remove what I think must be the offending content. Thank you for notice rather than just kicking me out!

My user name is just that “a user name”. The only moderator here is SB. This was just a member to member asking politely.
The way it should be and the way it is most of the time here. We are sort of self policed unless a riot breaks out, then SB steps in.
My user name actually stemmed from CPF a long time ago. I forgot my original password there and know one would help restore it, so I created a new one in defiance of the mods (gods).
I figured they would ban it, but they didn’t, so the name stuck and I used it here.

That is a cool screen name then. And I thank you all the same.

I also lost my original CPF account pw (pretty sure when created I had a double typo, never could log back in again), no one in charge there would assist, lost my favorite screen name, which is still reserved because of it, and I had to create a new account. I always hated the CPF new user requirements, and feel bad for new users, so I always greet them when I see low post counts. I have never seen a forum with so many new users that never get beyond 3 posts before abandoning. Regardless of the problems with CPF, more users will make it better, more moving targets will dilute the problems the mods there cause.