Best 26650 (or even 18650) For High Current & Maintaining Voltage

With one as back-up. I’m considering plugging one into a 3D Mag build I have that uses 3 XM-L2 emitters direct drive, just to see what kind of amperage those 3 will pull on it. They’re using Imedion LSD NiMH cells and getting 9.4A at the moment.

Any reason you can think of that I shouldn’t try it? If it works brilliantly, I might just have to cut the 3D to a 1D! :slight_smile:

I'm no EE also, just know enuf to be dangerous... I dunno the voltages you got there - LED's in 3S or 3P setup? How bout those NiMH cells? I'm lithium all the way, pretty much, never touch'ed a Mag lite.

WHAT? And you call yourself an American? That might be enough to deport you to Canada!

-Garry

+1 . Funny, my first high end light was a StreamLight - does that count? But I am fond of Chrysler's (please - not Kreisler), a good Canadian-American brand...

I doubt you can compare readings published to HKJs, Internal resistance readings can be done a couple of ways and yield different results.

With my dedicated, calibrated tester I recorded 24mOhms for a KK…
Battery test results

That is correct, I even published an article about it.

What would it take to get a couple of these sent to you for testing? I’d like to know exactly what they can do.

I hadn’t seen that, great article :slight_smile:

Goes to a rod that contacts the top of the battery. Negatives are direct grounded. There’s a pcb holding the 3 emitters, but no circuitry of any kind. There was a machine bolt making the connection but I removed that in favor of a solid copper 12 ga wire from household Romex. All springs have been bypassed or replaced. So the emitters would draw directly from the cell.

Whatdya think?

I do prefer getting directly from dealers or manufacturers. If you send some batteries to me, it has to be unused batteries, directly from a dealer.

The general problem with US is the prohibition against shipping LiIon oversea, there are a couple of batteries I would like to get from the US.

I’ll call them and see what they say about direct shipping them to you for testing. Might even catch a price break! They are based in California. Oriental guy on the voice machine when I called too early a few minutes ago.

What do you need? A pair? More than that?

WHAT? I can’t send you my year old cells to see how they fare? lol But of course, new factory direct would be obvious. If you’re going to post the results they have to be verifiable and beyond scrutiny.

With exception of primary batteries, a pair has always worked fine.

It could be fun testing some older batteries and see how they stand up to time, but I have basically been running my test stations 24/7 for 1½ year now, i.e. there is not much spare time on them.

An estimate of time used: 6 days for one battery set (18650/26650) and I have tested about 130 sets, i.e. 780 days test time (Distributed on two test stations).

The guy said shipping to Denmark would not be a problem. Don’t know what it’d cost, but it cost me $10.80 to have 2 shipped to me from California to Texas back in January. Total cost then was $29.80 for 2 cells.

The shipping is only legal if he used UPS and that is rather expensive (Not that I care if he ships legal or not).

Also note that I do not necessary start a test when I receive the batteries, I might have other ones in queue.

Oh, ok - so the LED's are parallel. Are they on good copper (SinkPAD, Noctigon, direct path custom copper, etc.)? If so, think that's a good test config, but either way, being that the LED's are in parallel, it should be ok to test it out - voltage level is right, amps are spread out over 3 LED's, all depending on the Vf and draw.

Shipping does sound expensive in the US, so overseas, ouch, I'm thinking. I'm wondering now if these are just OEM'd AW IMR's, or something similar. I think the KK ICR's are better than AW IMR, at least in my practical testing, not measured though. And like you guys are saying, the quoted specs on internal resistance/impedance is all over the place, so I'm doubting those #'s now.

Dale - maybe you can dig a little more with this vendor to find out more about where or what these originated from?

Apparently their parent company is Powerizer and these cells are imported then wrapped and branded in California. Supposed to be about a year old chemistry formulated for high current drain and prolonged life cycle for use in electric cars and electric bikes. I did find reference in their data sheet to INR 26650 A . From their site…

“Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide also lithium-mananese-cobalt-oxide (LiNiMnCo, NMC, NCM), Li[NiMnCo]O2 based Cathode & Graphite based Anode, is the newest generation Li-Ion rechargeable battery for high power applications, such as EV car, E-scooter and E-bike. The NMC cells compromise between high current rate and high capacity rate. Compared with LiCoO2 series Li-Ion cell, the NMC cells provide higher energy density with lower cost, long cycle life (>1000@1.0C, IEC standrad). NMC cell has 3.6 +/- 0.5V nominal working voltage and shall be cut-off power at 4.15-4.20V per cell during charging.”

I ran a single cell into the Elektrolumens triple. The highest number I saw was 10.30A, this drawn through a 3D Mag battery tube using an 6061 1/2” aluminum shaft for extension (I’d done this previously to run this light [prior to this drop in] on a single 32650, plastic spacers fore and aft to separate the rod from the sidewalls of the tube) and another 2” rod of same for the DMM. So it’s pulling 10+A through 6” of aluminum rod. This on a well rested cell at 4.15V. (My back-up cell) Puts some pretty serious heat out the front, I might add!

Capacity test result:
o Powerizer LiNiCoMn 26650 3.6V 3600mAh cell has 3797.33mAh capacity while being
discharge @ 18A rate
o K2 LiFePO4 26650 2600mAh cell has 2227.28mAh capacity while being discharge @ 18A
rate
• Discharge Voltage test result:
o Powerizer LiNiCoMn 26650 3.6V 3600mAh cell has a significant higher discharge voltage
than LiFePO4 K2 26650 3.2V 2600mAh cell while being discharge @ 21 rate (V discharge
LiNiCoMn = 3.1~3.3V, V discharge LFP K2 = 2.5 ~2.75V)

Chart in their data sheets showing typical curves. Notice they refer here as INR

HKJ, what are the chances of your comparator being configured so you can eliminate protected/unprotected, 4.2/4.3/4.35v and different cell sizes from the comparison. or group them together for ease of search and comparison ?

I do not have any plans for changing the comparator. You can easily see if a cell is about 4.2 volt and you can also easily see the cell size in the list. Protected/unprotected is difficult to see, I have been thinking about making a list of "raw" cells (Like I have lists of different brands).