Best Bicycle Torch

This forum is so good that I had to register

Here's my setup (got them from DX) :

I like .

And welcome .

I run exactly the same set up ..Simple as can be . Great place to use cheap p-60 hosts .Just make sure to add proper heat sink material /foil or copper tape.

…Hmmm I don’t like that ebay light … the batteries or the charger either

I'd buy the rominsen 601 or 602 first .. real batteries(japanese) and a half way decent charger like a tr001 instead

OP here. You got me thinking about the Brooks, I am weight weenie and always avoided that saddle because it seemed to weigh 4 lbs. or something like that. With that said, I have yet to find a saddle that doesn't numb the men after a little while. Does it help with that? If so, I may swallow my pride and get one. I mean what good is a sub 18 lb. bike if your @$$ hurts...right?

Back to lights, I am really confused regarding the C8's. Based on the reviews, it seems that this one might be the one to get:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S010020

From what I've gathered based on this forum, the XinTD C8 is well built but a little under-driven compared to the KD-C8. Is that correct? Has anyone compared the two? I also like the Keygos but I don't like 5 modes. Both the XinTD and KD C8's can be found in 3 modes.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and who cares if we went a little OT if we're still talking about biking?

I was to chime in about zoom torches on bikes. I started experimenting by mounting 2 EDI-T P4s on my bike. I really like the zoomed out beam when riding it puts more of an even amount of light on the ground. The EDI-Ts have a really nice zoom mechanism it doesn't move around on bumps. I also disassembled them and added some heavy grease(superlube) to the oring to make it smoother and a little tighter.

The KD C8 you linked to is the light that got a lot of people started on their flashlight addiction. Do a quick search and you will see one of the original threads on this light - it has to be in the top 10 for most posts on BLF. You can't go wrong with this one and the price is right. As far as the XinTD goes, you probably won't be able to tell much difference in output from the KD, but the quality is better. Keygos are nice, but if you look around on BLF, you will see there has been a lot of variation in quality and output. They do look nice and the price is right. I agree on the 3 modes - I have always hated disco.

Re: the Brooks. What can I say. Some folks think putting an old leather boat anchor on a modern bike is wrong. You are the only one that can decide that. I rode a Lemond Maiotte Jaune (aka Trek 5900) for years with mine. When you are putting in the miles, who would you rather listen to: Other (misinformed) riders or your ass? If the weight bothers you, go for Ti at much more $$$ or get a smaller Colt, Swift or Swallow. And the Brooks do help with the comfort of the boys, but that is more a matter of proper fit and position. Also helps to stand up on the pedals and shift position frequently.

Clone. Shorter reflector. Different driver, No Knurling only some scratches on the body, that is not knurling. Battery tube is different.

It seems the clones number has taken off. Probably more to come.

I wouldn't buy anything from bluspams they continuously spam this forum and that 5 dollar light is a piece of junk.

having started my bike obsession with 3 speed bicycles, i have never worried about what my bikes weigh.

i have always found it easier to drop 10 pounds off my fat ass, rather than go crazy worrying about whether a deadly plastic seat will shave 17 ounces off my bike weight.

i ride more when i am comfortable, that means leather seat, decent lights and, Horrors!, fenders!

as i approach 60 i am unconcerned with the lycra-based one-upmanship of the knuckleheads who pass by me on their Sevens shaking their heads in dismay. i dont see them as i ride to work in 50 degree rain and arrive after dark.

+1 Your post made me smile.

Between, even though I am a newbie, I have learned fast about the JACK UP LUMENS!!Smile

Now, I would be concerned if I was spending big bucks.

From what I see and like, it is got a little more than my Keygos Ke-5s. I also like the looks of it, and the size is about right too. That is a lot of Pros for what I want it for, and this it to go on one of my bikes. I got 9 bikes, included in those 9 bikes is two beater bikes.

If this baby throws more light then the Keygos Ke-5, I am on it.

I was just getting ready to spring for TWO UltraFire C8 at so-called 1300 lumens for $17.99 each. I can get two of these for the same price as one of the above!! I dunno.. ;)

To have an obession is a BLESSING. I am early 70s, and get big thrills out of riding. Don't worry about what others think/say or whatever. Just keep doing your thing. Don't pay the head-shakers any mind.

You get big props in my book...

If you look at the brightness bin you are not going to get over 1000 Lumen out of any single emitter XML. That is why I think the KDC8 is such a good deal.

http://flashlightwiki.com/Brightness_Bins

This was my first light purchased from DX and I was impressed with it (sold it and bought 2pcs in red color )

I am very pleased with this MS-like lights, they work perfectly, only flaw is that they don't have mode memory

Cheers

Way off topic, but, all other things being equal, it is the weight of the rider and not the bike that truly matters; and unless you actually earn a living in the saddle, bike weight matters not one iota (well, except for bragging rights for the shallow among us... and who doesn't like to bust chops. I usually use the my bike is lighter mantra after my wife crests a hill before me and I say, "Ya, but my bike is still lighter". Sad. I know)

Here is a buddy of mine setup. A red/white beautiful Specialized, with Vision X dual lights using Manfrotto clamps..

IMO, pure eye candy!! Wink

That is EXACTLY what I started with. I just started communting on bicycle about 6 months ago. As time went along, I found out that it was getting dark when I leave in the morning and dark on the way back. I went with the above for about $2.50 off Ebay, and that included a rear light and free shipping. From there, I moved up to $4 torches. Now, I am up to C8 class torches, and loving it. Wink

As with all hobbies, we all have to start some place.. Right now, my wife uses those power beams when she goes jogging. Cool

Awesome!!

I know I can't lose getting two UltraFire C8s rated at 1300 lums for $17.99 each. However, this XinTD L2 copy/fake or whatever has got me going. I like the LOOKS.. I think it would look real cool on my bikes. Also, if it just happens, not betting on it, be brighter than my Keygos Ke-5s and 1s, that would be sweet.

To tell the truth, I might swing for all three. What I don't like, resell at a loss. And if they all perform, they be keepers.. Dam this is fun. Can't wait to hit a bike trail at dusk!! Cool

Nice setup! What kind of battery packs do you have with them? Runtime? Link?

[Edit: I think I found it: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-94182. But did you replace the reflector to OP? And to which one?]

..and welcome to BLF!!