Best EDC/SD

Careful, those lumens are Chinese lumens - they like making up #'s Wink.

Actually I got a real 1,000 lumens on a Convoy S4, but totally mod'ed out: 3.5 amps, XM-L2 U2 1A on copper, AR lens, extra copper for heat sinking, etc... Also got 800 lumens on a Convoy S3 at 2.8 amps, XML U3.

1B is a cool white, close to the coolest. OD is the coolest common tint, 1A next, then 1B. Getting into 3C's or so the beginning of neutrals, then 5's and 6's are warm -- I'm no expert, but that's a rough outline.

Wait a minute. I thought I was told that CW showed more detail, but the NW appears brighter. Which one is the one with the blueish tint? I don’t want that one if it shows less detail, even if it might be brighter.

Tom, how do I make sure that they are actual lumens, and not just a made up number?

No, exact opposite (at least for me). Cool White appears brighter. Neutral White appears more natural, and easier on the eyes.

Cool white is where you encounter bluish tint.

Only way you can be sure of the lumens number is to buy a light made by a reputable manufacturer.

IE above is essentially correct, but for all brands you can at least estimate using this reference and the current draw rate (amps). Draw may also be “optimistic” or it may be tied to a specific battery, draw can vary a lot based on battery (resistance). That is what the LED should produce but not what goes OTF, or out the front; you can assume 10-20% loss depending on the reflector and 10+% more if the lens isn’t a good AR glass.

The best kind of correct :D

Good ref thread here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14230

Match's emitter test threads are great: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/16621

all this: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14233

Infamous ANSI white chart: http://flashlightwiki.com/images/f/f6/Ansiwhite.jpg

The FT Convoy listings are good in that it's mostly relative, ie they say 500 (really 350), and they say 900 (really 650), so relatively they are correct. Many sources just outright lie with no basis on facts, others you can see they try by quoting specs but not accurate to how they imply. Many high end brands quote pretty good #'s though, but the budget world is the wild, wild, west.

Don’t sweat the tint so much at this point…you’ll probably be purchasing many more lights…therefore many more opportunities to get the perfect tint. :wink:

Kaleb, before your pull the trigger on a light check out the Olight S20. It's the size of an AA light but uses 18650 cells. It has a side switch, perfect modes plus an easily accessed hidden strobe mode. I own a lot of lights and it is hands down my favorite. Waterproof, rock solid, great anodizing, pocket clip, disappears in the front pocket of your jeans...everything you can want in an EDC.

Thanks for the references guys.

The S20 is nice, but it has a price of more than double the Convoy. Is it really worth that?

If you are looking for any Convoy S series. Just send PM to Simon, he can arrange any Convoy host with so many emitters and drivers for you.

you can’t go wrong with OLIGHT…. They are awesome & well worth the price.

And you also won't buy a better budget light if you buy a s5 or s6 convoy for less than 20$..My suggestion is to grab a nice 4c or 5 c tint since every other light you'll probably buy will be a cool white since no one offers you tint options .If you're buying a convoy I say get what you can when you can. I hate CW emitters because they are too blue and the cri sucks on them ..like gords 1001 says it's about cri as much as anything . lIke tomE said the cool white tints on the convoy lights are 1A. 1b . and have 6000+ K.

I like the 4000K lights ...much easier on the eyes and colors are much better

If you’re going for the Olight S’s….best go with the xml-2 version.
XML version is pretty GREEN :Sp according to the reviews.

IMO absolutely. I happen to be a huge Convoy fan as well but I feel the S20 is just that nice. Othe er s may disagree but I’d wager that they don’t own both lights.

I like the charger, batteries and the flashlight but I would recommend the new S8 Convoy S8 . It is a little more forgiving on battery size. Battery size is a problem with the S6 (have one with T6-3C but love it) I hope they will offer different emitters but 500 lumens is really sufficient and appears similar to the Fenix mentioned earlier. If the Convoy line existed when I started buying flashlights, I might not have as many flashlights :slight_smile:

I’m on board with the cri bit, but cool white must have the lowest cri out there. My cool whites do terrible in the woods. Everything looks a shade of grey or blue. Go ahead and start with a low cri cool white. That way when you eventually get a nice tint you’ll appreciate the difference. :slight_smile:

Sorry for being unfaithful =/ lol
Haven’t been on in a few days. RL stuff to deal with.
Anyways I am ordering the Convoy S6 Cree XM-L T6-4C 886-Lumen 4300-4500K 2-Group 3/5-Mode LED Flashlight.
We will see how it works out. I’ll post my likes and dislikes when I try it out. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Ordered it from: Convoy I ordered

I think you’ll be real happy with that. At least once you get a charger and batteries to go in it. :smiley:

Excellent choice! Make sure you’ve got unprotected batteries… :wink:

thats a damned good emitter choice, 4c is my nw choice, good luck,

so, what are you buying next?

I suggest this one with the 80cri emitter and moon low option

its one of my favourite lights and extremely versatile, be sure to get a charger that can charge 26650 cells and take the 26650 option offered.