Best flashlight dollar for dollar

Good day gentleman,

Today is a day I’ve been looking forward to for the last several years now, it’s finally the day Dmitri Bivol will step in the ring against Aurtor Beterbiev to decide the undisputed king of the LHW division. Ahead of this fight between two of the best pound for pound boxers in the sport today it got me thinking, what would a list of the top pound for pound flashlights look like? When discussing the top pound for pound boxers in the world, peoples lists can vary quite a bit because there’s no defined criteria everybody uses for what pound for pound best even means. With that in mind I think what would be most helpful for me, a person that is very new to the flashlight world, is to hear people’s opinion who have extensive knowledge and experience with many different flashlights on what they think the absolute best value flashlight is, dollar for dollar. So basically, if someone had zero knowledge about flashlights and they asked you what the most impressive flashlight they can get for the least amount of money is, what wpuld your answer be? Thanks for any and all input and sorry if this is difficult to read or has typos, my 2 year old daughter is climbing all over me so I’m writing this as quickly as possible. Cheers fellas, good weekend to you all!

1 Thank

Please enjoy your time here, Tonyyayo2469!
Some of the best dollar for dollar flashlights are made by Convoy, Wurkkos, and Sofirn.

1 Thank

Impressive usually means throw and/or sheer output to the general public.

So, in the throw category, I’d say that the Convoy L21B SFT40 ($31.30) is incredible for the money.

In the sheer output category, the Sofirn Q8 Plus ($73.16, and regularly on sale for less) is nuts for the price (especially with P45B cells.) It’s something of a one-trick pony, but still impressive in terms of the ‘make night turn into day’ thing.

6 Thanks

From all the reading and research I’ve done over the last few weeks thats seems to be the consensus. Four out of the first six lights I’ve purchased have been Sofirn or Wurkkos. I’ve wanted to get a Convoy but my knowledge on the different part options is very limited and there is so many options I’d hate to make a poor decision. I’ve certainly been impressed with both the Sofirn and Wurkkos lights so far. Ill definitely be adding a Convoy in the near future.

1 Thank

Yep, there are a lot of options for Convoy lights.
You could explain in detail what you’re looking for, and someone on BLF might be able to help you make that decision. :+1:

1 Thank

From my very limited knowledge and from reading this forum the last few weeks, Convoy seems to be the consensus #1 brand with Sofirn and Wurkkos not far behind. I’ve purchased 3 Sofirn lights and 1 Wurkkos light already and I’ve been thrilled with all of them. I’ve been close to purchasing a Convoy several times but all the different combination of parts can be a bit overwhelming for someone who doesn’t know much about them so ive been holding off for now.

Best flashlight dollar for dollar

For my Indoor use, Nothing beats my Wurkkos TS10… write up here

For walking around the yard, the TS10SG has more reach, at the expense of CRI and Tint:

3 Thanks

If you are talking about , Impressive for the size (especially the V1 lights), those two (TS10 variants) have to be right up there. If you add in impressive for the cost, I don’t think anything comes close.

1 Thank

As @raccoon mentioned. If you can tell us what you are looking for in a light, maybe someone can give you a shopping list.

2 Thanks

Honestly I dont have a particular kind of light I’m looking for at the moment. I was posing this question without excluding any types of lights just to hear people’s opinions on what they think is the best light possible for the least amount of money. For instance, one person might think Olight Javelot for $104.99 is the absolute best value light. Another person might think there’s a $40 Convoy thats the best value light. I just wanted opinions from people who are knowledgeable so I can check them out myself and pick the one that I prefer. I get that its a difficult question to answer so if somebody names there top 5 or 10 lights that just gives me more options anyway lol

1 Thank

Impressive for the cost is what I was aiming for. I’m sure theres a much better way to word the question but I have a 2 year old that has ADHD that’s atleast as severe as mine, and that’s very severe, so I’m in a constant state of being overwhelmed and it makes it difficult to think clearly.

Tony,

The Convoy S2+ can be had for under $20, with all kinds of options. (even UV or colored LEDs) It will basically blow the doors off anything in its price range. It’s really hard to go wrong with it. It’s also pretty small.

The Convoy C8+ is another solid performer for the price (less than $25) and is better for long distance. Both of these also use the cheaper 18650 batteries vs. 21700s

6 Thanks

I Get it… that and my memory these days. So, with as many lights as I have it is difficult for me to sort them in my head to give you a good answer. When I am about to do something, like work on the car or walk the dog, or find something that has disappeared under the couch, or identifying a critter making noise in the neighborhood, I grab the light that comes to mind as being good for that specific task. They are all different and I have a few I consider to be impressive for a specific task, but not all tasks. There are two or three that I will pick from to put in my pocket on any given day. Mostly a TS10 variant these days. Others are kept for specific things. Some just scattered around the house for convenience.

1 Thank

I was actually close to purchasing the TS10 MAO last week solely on how sweet it looks. I also saw a TS10 in a sweet looking blue color that I’d really like to have. I just didn’t know how well they perform but it sounds like maybe I should just pull the trigger. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Just from reading about the Convoy c8+ a couple weeks ago it really stood out to me as a light that could be near the top of any dollar for dollar value list. Seemed like a good all around light that could be useful for anybody and anyone would appreciate it.

I think the TS10 is a great indoor light. It is not the right tool for hiking.

There are a lot of variables in flashlight design and in the applications they are used for.

Desired illumination Distance is a primary factor to consider, when choosing a light. What works indoors is different than what works outdoors.

that is a good example of a budget priced thrower… practically useless indoors, otoh, much better outdoors. The C8+ has a Candela per Lumen ratio of 75. That is an extremely throwy, Very focused beam, capable of illuminating a tree 350 meters away. When the spectrum of the light does not need to be High Fidelity, as red tones are not relevant for that application:
photo from this review

I personally have no need to illuminate distant trees, in my normal day to day EDC flashlight use, which could be classified as Indoor Office Use.

By contrast the TS10 has a Candela per Lumen ratio of 2. iow Extremly Floody. Suitable for reading a book, and seeing things up to 10 meters away. More than bright enough to see anything indoors, and with good color rendering.

Here is another very good value for a light with a more throwy beam than a TS10, the Novatac SPA SPL-120, it has a Candela per Lumen of about 15. It fits into an Urban Tactical role:

Extremely durable and drop proof, it has a simple but effective 4 mode UI, that was marketed for military applications.

I have several but I dont use them because I prefer to use my lights with Anduril UI… It has ruined other lights for me, I dont tolerate simple 4 mode lights anymore… lol

2 Thanks

For simple enough for anyone and features,performance the convoy s21+ is the clear winner.and has been as long as i can remember.only failures have been a driver retaining ring and same on switch.
Thats basic once a year maintenance anyway

I think that would be a great choice!

if dollars are the measurement tool (dollar-for-dollar),
then a $1 flashlight from Walmart would win.
because…a $20 flashlight would have to be At Least 19 times better
in all categories to equal the value. 20 to win.

1 Thank

Hi man,

Flashlights n00bz here.
If someone who is not in the hobby would ask, I think the safe answer is Wurkkos FC11C. A better version of the FC11 for just a little more money.
Easy interface, pretty bright, usb charging, magnetic tail, not a big light, can be puchased with a battery, etc.

Get the one with 5000k and I think that’s a pretty good light for money with a good performance.

I got one myself in the last sale even when I preffer Anduril lights. Happy, happy.

Probably there are a lot of other options that are equaly great light-for-money, but I don’t think we’ll go to far from this ratio. One of the options to consider for sure.

Regards.

2 Thanks