Best pencil beam with no spill ?

Hi,

I found a picture showing the modified side emitter here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?299940-SUNWAYMAN-C21C-830-Lumens-New-Style-EDC-Light&p=4820739&viewfull=1#post4820739 . I believe Vinhnguyen54 who did it. The convex side lens is itself red, Vinh replace it with something that looks frosted.

Here is some selection of narrow spot optic from Carclo: http://www.carclo-optics.com/optics-for-leds/tir/20mm/beam-type-narrow-spot/plain/

To eliminate spill from a reflector style light, a simple collimator can be made and stuck to the lens. Won’t help with a quick flood mode though.

Actually if I build what i want, this wont need the zoom ability. So a fixed AS lens with the added Wavien Collar , will be just fine

The lenses are a good price from Thor £19 for a 25mm with 20mm focal length

or a kit with the collar

http://www.wavien.com/shop/rlt-led-kit/

So, you don’t need flood now? Or, you’re going to build a light with separate Emitters for throw and flood?

Yes, still after low level cockpit flood but If I can get the flood with a separate ‘mule LED ’ and give a better spot with a lens and collar kit then that would be favourable. That is why originally I asked for ideas for a pencil beam in this thread…

Yes. this thread was not originally about a zoom, it was a request for pencil beam options, so that kit would give a good clean beam, then I can build a mule LED below the AS lens body

Some many ideas at the moment, information overload…I had not touched the inside of a flash light since I was 15, I have just got this bug to get myself something that i am happy with. I have been on the PC now since about 8 this morning, reading, posting searching and scanning manufacturers websites. i have two weeks leave form work and this in my ‘holiday’ project.

have bought about 6 or 7 lamps, drivers from FastTech, awaiting Richard From Mountaintop Electronics to get back to me with a price. Parts on the way from James . I’ll probably have 20 lamps to try out by the time I get back to work //if Christmas post gets me all the bits in time.

For low level cockpit flood take a look at post 2 above. They are USB powered and totally unfocused. Also bloody inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PFBB4G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Combine it with a short gooseneck like the one from the Amazon seller and a USB power supply velcroed into the cockpit and you have a low level diffuse light that can be directed wherever you want.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Keep us posted. By the way, we love build threads with lots of info and plenty of pictures. Consider taking notes and photos of everything you do, so we can see how it turns out!

I suspect this has been mentioned before but sounds to me like you only need one light with one led.

Specifically a dedicated Aspheric thrower with a flip down diffuser cap.

A strong diffusion film and decently adjusted output modes should get you the ideal low level flood light for cockpit use, then just flip the diffuser out of the way and you have epic throw to spot the runway in a hurricane! :slight_smile:
Could even be a red diffuser or whatever colour is best to maintain nightvision

Just a thought, hope you find something that works for you.
Cheers

That is the third plan…or similar, not mentioned on this thread until now. :wink:

I have an FM54 Flip down 1 inch diffuser from SureFire on order, to add to either my Fenix E35 ultimate, or to a HDS EDC Rotary with 18650 body, once Henry gets them made and they are on the site.

I have started a Suprabeam Q2 mod, and there are pictures. I think I posted one of the incomplete host earlier, but no thread started of that on here. Before I came here I had started about the Q2 over on the dark side.

I’ll show the complete conversion of the Q2 from AA to 18650 on here once I finish it.

I did start a thread of the basic mechanical mods I did to the myled.com SingFire lamps

maybe stick a Red XPE behind the lens and machine in a different switch for it, but attached to the original driver and have the red led (not focused behind the lens) for the flood/moonlight/cockpit lighting

Wolf looks nice , but I think I’ll stop for now and not buy any more this month till I finish modding the
Sf132
Sf707
Q2
And the unknown

Well I can just see it being too big and unwieldy when clipped in to a C-clip on a headset when used as the head torch

Well I can just see it being too big and unwieldy when clipped in to a C-clip on a headset when used as the head torch, also I was hoping, if I can’t easily add a mule Led to it, it might still be workable with the FM54 beam diffuser, which is 1 inch bezel fit.

Ok ,I could always go and buy yet anther diffuser to try out…but it is another purchase from SureFire ,a dn buying stuff from them is a pain

http://www.surefire.com/parts-accessories/filters-diffusers-covers.html

There are other diffusers available from other companies, in a variety of shapes and sizes. For example, FastTech has a few simple ones in the $1 to $2 range. They also have some from NiteCore items ranging from $3 to $13.

I am flicking around the FastTech site now
I thought I had ordered the SK68 and Convoy S2 but on checking it appears I did not complete the order

So I’ll keep digging

There are so many Convoy versions and all so similar, S2, S2+ S: S4 . All seem to be nearly the same so I am trying to see what the differences are at the moment

The S2 was suggested earlier , and also upgraded Carlco optics , so trying to get an order in.

Earlier a Subwayman C21C was suggested. Just had e-mail saying it has been dispatched. Been talking to ther3v -about custom driver board for it

I like this idea, I like the size of the Convoy lights. that is the sort I am looking for.
I tried my SF-132 on the headset last night and the 37mm head makes it a bit ‘front heavy’ the SF707 C which has a 30mm head is about as big as I want to go. So the short list of body types is as follows.

If for now we could ignore other makes and just concentrate on this list from FastTech. All the “S” series. Does any one have any idea or input which would make the better host, with swapped Carclo optics or a small aspheric lens, to give this narrow beam.

Just so i am clear. is this a P60 device?

S2
S2+
S3
S4
S5
S6
S7

Non of those are P60s, that term refers to the modular pill and host format that will fit a specific type of drop-in i.e a pill+reflector light engine.

Surefire p60 light engine
Ultrafire p60 host example

They’re still 1x 18650 lights but because of the modular design they are somewhat larger than most of those convoys.
Also because the pill is not an integral part of the light, heatsinking is rather poor on these lights.

Yes, I get that , just that I did not know if these were P60 compatible or not.

Not.

Of your S-list, may I cast a vote for the S5 or the S7, as they are the smallest of the bunch. And I have no use for it, but I’d wager good money that this optic (a lot of 5, I don’t know where to get singles so cheaply) would give you the pencil beam you want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110819715928?\_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I needed the opposite beam as you (60° Optic), but otherwise about the same, so I built my own S5 clone & tested the optics. I now love the optics!!

You mentioned in an earlier post about having an optic and a reflector combined. That’s not how that works. The “TIR” in the full name of the “Optic” stands for “Total Internal Reflection” meaning if you hold the Optic to the LED outside the host & turn it on, you’ll see a little bit of glow, but not much at all. I’d guess the reflector was “extra”…

Maybe that’s your solution… Have an exposed Optic of ultra-narrow beam, where you put a disk of felt over the main beam to get just the wee glow of the Optic…

Here’s a thought I just had: Take your current favorite roll-of-coins size light, snug-up your shirt, slip the light pointing up into the back your collar & turn it on. Yes, a lot of it will just hit you in the back of the head, but I’d still think the reflected light would give you enough cockpit illumination to get you by until a better solution can be devised.

perfect
best solution yet. and if i usde a halogen, it will keep me warm too :slight_smile: