Best thrower below $40?

OK thanks to this thread, I broke down and ordered the ZY-T08 from FT. It’s been on my list for a while now.
Now I have a couple of weeks to think of something crazy to do to it :wink:

Wow, Does anyone have a beamshot of the STL-V6 and the T08? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Looks like i am getting the V6 from FT later. Thanks for all the advice :smiley:

I have found that having the second battery adds a significant amount of brightness. When I put a C8 body on my STL-V6 it was a huge step down running 1x18650 and 2x18350. The STL-V6 is a great budget thrower and everyone should own one.

I see a lot of other recommending the HD2010. I would be very sceptical buying one because there seems to be a lot quality issues with them. The recent one I bought from the same place I bought my first one is a totally different light. The color was different, the knurling was like sandpaper, the beam had a larger hotspot, it was less bright overall, and the 18650 sleeve was made out of cut PVC pipe and not ABS.

For under $40 the ZY-T08 and Jacob A60 are great throwers. Keep in mind the A60 is going to have a very narrow beam, which I don't find useful. For people wanting nice budget throwers I would get the ZY-T08 (mod it) or the STL-V6.

Here is a link from another post where hopefully they have a Jacob A60 in stock if you want one.

LINK

doesnt the zy-t13 thrower further than the zy-t8?

I think they are virtually the same; the reflector is identical.

Do you have a link to that?

Guys, is this better than the V-6?

I don't think so, way too small head.

It’s not available online. However you can find a local Home Depot that might have it using the online stock checker
Enter the store number local to you and it shows all local stores that might have it. Find it on homedepot.com (hint: Redlands store #1013)
Stock level between higher than five but lower than 35 means they have it on the floor somewhere.
Stock level of 35 means they have it but may not be on display.
Stock level of zero means they are out.

Redlands store #1013 currently has stock of 28. It should be close if your location really is Highland / San Bernardino.
1151 W Lugonia Ave
Redlands, CA 92374
(909)748-0505

Good luck on the search! :slight_smile:

I would agree with ILF that the FF STL-V6 throws a little further than the A60. I have both and use them heavily for hunting purposes, and my Maxtoch SN6X-2 aka FF STL-V6s will just shade the A60. Very little in it in terms of distance, but its much greater lumen output gives the FF a much better quality throw - vastly more usable at all ranges.

However - and strange as it may seem - after importing 30-40 of these Maxtoch/FFs for hunting mates (and testing them all) I have to say rdfronty may also be right !! In my experience 1-2 of the Maxtoch/FFs had up to 15% brighter hotspot and better throw than others. This is a big output variance, and if rdfronty has a couple of very good A60s and a lesser FF then I’ve no doubt the A60s will shade his FF STL-V6.

From the dozens I’ve tested the distance decision goes to the STL-V6. It is however its huge usable output down range which makes the STL-V6 such a star.

A good piece of news….Maxtoch the OEM manufacturer who actually make the Maxtoch SN6X-2 and rebrand it for other companies as Fandyfire/Skyray STL-V2 etc have just told me they will have an upgraded version of this flashlight on the production line shortly. It evidently tests out 30% brighter at 10m. Given the Maxtoch SN6X-2 tests out at 52k lux at 1m, the new model at +30% at 10m could be round 67k? Physics here?

I will have samples of the upgrade to test soon. Am not sure all Fandyfire/Uniquefires run to same 52k spec as specifically the Maxtoch/Skyray, but no doubt the new performance upgrade will filter out to all of the brands of this light eventually.

A60 a great little scope mounted rifle light. Crazy bargain at just $15. Its a wee legend - but so too is the Maxtoch/Skyray/FF and it does all the same jobs just that much better.

Buy both!

And I wanted to mention here that the EagleTac M3C4 U2 version I have will probably put out around 65,000 lux and it out throws my Crelant 7G5 and Olight M3X by say 10%. Just passing that on since the M3C4 was mentioned earlier.

Hello, Now that the V6 is shipped, I still have another problem, not having enough batteries… Can anyone recommend me some quality and cheap 18650s?(Would prefer protected) Is this good? The review says that it is abit longer from other 18650s. Thanks!

Here’s what I would buy.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10001980/1141000-panasonic-ncr18650-protected-rechargeable-2900mah-

Yeah that’s what I bought for it, but they barely fit, super tight, actually denting the protection circuit neg terminal. My AW’s are shorter and I am running them in the STL-V6 now, and the Panasonics you recommended have been re-assigned to my L2P’s.

I would look for 18650’s that are a little shorter, IMHO.

My Fandy fire v2 takes keeppower 3400mah cells no worries, don’t see how their shorter than the 3100mah Panasonics.

Wow thanks, that’s right down the road.

Just seen that thread about them being 3 C cells that might be a deal breaker. lol thanks though :slight_smile:

I’ll be modding to 2x18650 (spacer, sleeve, and driver swap). A mod to 1x18650 seem fairly easy (spacer and sleeve) if you don’t mind the extra wasted tube space. There’s no way I’ll keep using this as a C-cell light.