Big day today! I get finally my new PC

The new 3000 series Ryzen runs 3200 on ram without having to change bios settings.

So let’s get to the build pictures

Unboxing

Making the PC ready

This main board is so tiny, Back side for 2. SDD, of course not replace friendly within the CPU back side opening

Installing the SSD, first remove the CPU cooler and the cooling block

SSD with cooling block mounted and fans installed (of course the wrong way around to find out later)

trying tonstall the back side SSD, I noticed that the spacer to screw there is too high
So again back to the other side, of course I had also already the CPU cooler installed, so disassemble all again just to find out that the one spacer is too long
Then checked again the main board box with all the components, finding inside an AMD manual and leftovers from Cooler assembly marked with big sticker Intel

I had to unscrew the main board to get the SSD installed

At this point I contacted the support but screwed the SSD cooling top with no pressure on it and did a boot test with old win 8.1 from the original MSI OS
(I installed later Win 7 Ultimate on a 2. SSD and changed the boot HDD), back side SSD

So now powering it up I found out the front fans blow outside the case not inside

The other side of the PC for cable management and final component side

CPU cooler is pretty much surrounded by fans

Top view, later enhanced the air flow taping front side

Adding to the main board and PSU cables for SATA drives

Temporary installing the old external drive internal to speed up the copy, here a random picture from copy process but very funny movie

As the 2 top USB ports are not really usable as the PC barely fits under my desk I added a 4 port to the side with 2 sided tape, also a card reader

Test of my PC with the best result, of course that other GPU is far more overclocked with water cooling, mine is the cheapest with only 2 fans and short PCB

Wouldn’t that still depend on the Mobo? I had to manually enable XMP when I built my current tower with an R1600.

@BurningPlayd0h, no.

The memory controller on the CPU is much better now.

Its unlikely. Early models were less good but now most are even more reliable than the traditional mechanic drive, who will be soon obsolete technology.

Very nice QoL change, even knowing what to do it took me a couple weeks to realize I needed to enable XMP to actually apply my RAM clock settings. This will make things much easier for people.

I think it’s more a matter of the limited write-life of the SSD’s that’s the issue with them these days with them.

depends on which models you buy, there are some that a 500 GB can do 1500-4000 TB within the specs

seriously even the cheap ones have like 500TB write at a little reduced max capacity to deal with it

I likewise use it on Win 10

I think I am done with major stuff related with new PC

Just did a Cinebench R20 score

I did not very hard overclocking
it is limited on 140% of TDP and 80°C core temperature in BIOS mainly with standard Turbo settings

This is a sick build, I just got my Raspberry Pi 4/4GB RAM and know the feeling when you get a new computing device.

nice specs you got there

I have seen a video about running a desktop on a Pi3 B+ and it was even with active cooling very disappointing

There are nice Micro PCs with I3 or similar CPU

It’s sick to gain 12% single core speed over multi core single uses 40W while all 8 use 137W
It seems that the OS just runs the single core operation not on a single hardware core, it keeps jumping from one to another so on all cores the clock and voltage keeps high

The good thing is on the ASUS suite I can put the Eco more for example to 10W

I also got a Pi4, just a few days ago. The new Pi is more than capable of running a desktop environment. Chromium is very snappy, youtube videos stream without lags.

This is not for hardcore video editing or playing the latest game (but even normal games would work), just a great low-cost machine for everyday tasks.

I was about to recommend a Raspberry Pi 4 to my sister as a cheap computer, but because it's not as user-friendly as a typical laptop, I think she would do much better with a $150-$200 laptop.

yes, this is for makers and tinkerers. people like BLF folks.
Lots of issues that have to (and will be) ironed out going forward and it took a while to get it going:

buy Pi, buy usb-c cable, get micro hdmi cable, new sd card, format/dd raspbian, see whether it boots, check what’s missing, etc
It also requires a new case, new software (as both hw, debian and drivers are new). as an example, there is no real working Kodi variant for buster. And there are software solutions that simply don’t exist in the same way on linux.

It is not really portable because the screen is missing, but this concept is most likely the future of computing. Imagine a very small Pi in the future embedded in your clothing or car or elsewhere and only a VR headset/screen for you is required.

I am just blown away what kind of performance you can get for 35$ these days.

The Pi 4 has the capabilities of about 2005 Desktop PC

There are Desktop PCs in about same size, but with more power to buy
you get goodies like

- SSD slot with 500MB/s

- 2.4GHz Quad core CPU

• Intel 600 Graphics

Personnally I prefer to buy second-hand hardware for certain parts (CPU, RAM mostly) for upgrading my systems (up to a certain point of course)

Lately I upgraded (Asus Sabetooth X58 motherboard) from an old 4-core i7 to a 6-core (old) Xeon (faster with even less current consumption!) and it was worth the ~25 bucks.

But I don’t do gaming…

But If you want to build a gaming PC for cheap, you can buy a desktop motherboard (on Aliexpress & co) to fit second-hand, newer generation Xeons (and ECC RAM) for not a lot of money (plenty of youtube videos on the subject).

yes its on everything that way

You can buy a brand-new BMW 5s or an old 5-year Toyota, they both get you to the destination

I just wanted a PC I don’t need to think about upgrading in the next 3-4 years

I changed some settings in Bios
first set the LLC to a less aggressive value
then set SVID to best case scenario

The overall performance in multi core got 10% higher, as now the CPU has under load 0.15V less (1.27 vs 1.42),
but all cores get a higher clock speed of about 400MHz at same power consumption

The single Core speed stays about the same but at 5-6W less power consumption, but does not reach 5GHz anymore only 4.9GHz

before

after

wanted basically more SSD space so the HDD is purely backup

Grabbed on eBay basically an unused server grade SSD (per TB cheaper than used Samsung 860 Evo sell)
Micron 5100 Pro with 1.92TB