BLF bummer

The IT guys that control the network where I work must have finally figured out I’m wasting too much time at work on BLF. I have always had free access to it, but today it was “filtered”, meaning inaccessible. Bummer, now when I get home threads I looked at yesterday are buried 4 pages back.

I guess it couldn’t last forever, but still surprised they caught it. I’m alllowed an hour per day to browse non-work-related sites, but they locked BLF out altogether under the heading of “family forums and message forums”.

If you have good graces with them, ask them to unblock it.

A budget light “Gift” might persuade them to unblock it

I work for a small company (me, the owner and a detail guy, we sub everything out) and I have complete, unrestricted internet access. The work environment is very laid back and I have a lot of autonomy but I'm pretty sure there is no monitoring of what I do. I guess I'm paranoid about losing all this independence so I stay off BLF at work, pretty much. (maybe 10 minutes a month, if that) You will rarely see a post from me until after 5 or 6 Pacific.

I do however, get sidetracked doing legitimate research. It starts out legit and then I look up and realize I've been looking at old Camaro pics for an hour or chatting with some old racer on a Cobra forum for way too long. I also read the news in the morning for about 45 minutes.

I'd be scared to do anything personal on-line at a larger business.

Foy

That’s an outrageous violation of your right to mess around at work! You might as well be living in North Korea!

Try this:

Link

What it is doing is using an online translator, to translate from english to english - in effect, a free proxy!
Google have stopped people doing this with their service now, but other ones seem to work…

Good Luck
Pete

Nah, this is a HUGE corporate structure with hundreds of locations across the USA. I’m not even going to mess with it.
Funny I can still read CNN or similar for 60 minutes a day but can’t access BLF.

Cell phone at dinner time?

I browse and post from work all the time, people are on forums all the time at work, I think I would go crazy if I wasn’t allowed ot go on the internet at work, lol.

Or just get yourself a big ass phone like the Galaxy Note put privacy film in the screen so only you can see it and problem solved, what are you doing? Writing a task to do on my phone or checking my to do list, he he he. Seriously be careful on these hard times don’t give them the excuse.

If they monitor web traffic like that, surely social sites like Facebook etc don't work also, or do they? What about web based email (Gmail etc)?

+2

I NEVER use any computer on leisure at work, just too easy to check the traffic there.
No specific reason, just easier for me (I work on a large space indoors) to keep a cell with me and check things while working if I want…

I’m a security guard (they say), in a large worldwide corporation. I sit in a guard shack all night and log out trucks leaving. Some nights are almost halfway busy, other nights there is never a truck that goes through.

The IT people monitor every page someone goes to and how long you were there, with some software program. They are always taking more and more sites away from people. Surprisingly BLF & CPF have not gone yet. gmail was gone right away as well as yahoo and others. Google is still allowed and I do a lot of searching for flashlight components, but there’s a lot of results I can’t click to and more get blocked each month.

I am the I.T. guy at the company I work for! I don't block/filter anything. So far it hasn't been a problem to need to block/filter access, but I see myself monitoring BLF far too often.

-Garry

It’s not uncommon for me to work 10, 12, 14 hour days. Everone gets a laptop so they can work from home. My firm understands that if you are working his long then they must let you spend time at work dealing with personal stuff, whether it be online banking to keeping keeping current on the economy/current events and connecting to family, friends on Facebook. Hell our company has a presence on Facebook & Twitter! Too bad BLF doesn’t have a RRS feed. Then I’ll be able to monitor BLF directly in my Outlook like my woodworking forums.

Yes, violation of flashlight rights.
Why dont you connect to internet via mobile? :slight_smile:

My stupid iPhone’s screen is too small to comfortably read BLF, and I hate constantly scrolling around after enlarging it.
Just have to wait until after work.

Yes, they also filter personal email sites (gmail, yahoo, etc)

Simple fix. Use a free proxy server service. There are many of them. Just Google it and pick one. I doubt your IT department have all of them blocked.

Tell your I.T. guy you need the BMW /LAMBORGINI/FERRARI -BLF site available to you ..if they say it's a flashlight site ...you can say ."oh yeah that's a site I use for seaching for headlight topics .

These cars do have headlights right ??

If you ever need any information about headlights troop ...You can PM me during the day /business hours and I'll give you any info you need

I meant that you can connect your woork PC to internet via you mobile. :slight_smile:
You can do it via WiFi or via bluetooth (if restrictions are somehow on your wifi router too)

If you surf via your mobile connection, they cant restrict you in most cases. I dont now whats network infrastructure in your company but you can try it. I think that there is great possibility that you could surf than freely.

Ecig: “I meant that you can connect your woork PC to internet via you mobile.
You can do it via WiFi or via bluetooth (if restrictions are somehow on your wifi router too)
If you surf via your mobile connection, they cant restrict you in most cases. I dont now whats network infrastructure in your company but you can try it. I think that there is great possibility that you could surf than freely.”

I ran one of the the IT Departments for WVU for a long time and we not only required users (all of them - faculty, staff, library, classrooms and students) to have an account requiring a secure logon, we blocked everything the Administration made policy to block, system wide. All the ethernet hard ports and all 3 types of wireless access. Yeah, Colleges censure. If your workplace is anything like mine, it will operate the same way. A proxy server is the only way to get around it, if at all.